Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis After Surgery Pain

Posted by Karen M on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047823)

I had pain for 6 months in several areas of my foot after my PF surgery (most likely EPF because I had only 3 stitches on my heel; he cut 2/3 of the pf ligament). I had so much heel pain after the surgery, but my podiatrist said anything under 3 months was normal. He was happy to keep me in a surgical boot for only 3 weeks saying other doctors keep you in it for months. After about 6 weeks, more pain in other areas developed. He told me my bone had locked and was out of alignment. Another doctor (chiropractor) visited his office weekly, and he realigned my bones each visit. I went through this for months. After trying a number of things to relieve my pain, the doctor told me to either live w/the pain or have an MRI; I chose MRI and x-rays. It showed a ruptured tendon by the arch. I went to an orthopedic for his diagnosis and was told cutting the PF ligament sometimes causes the tendon to rupture, arch to collapse, and bones out of alignment which caused a new bone spur on top of my foot that had to be removed. I had my foot reconstruction surgery 6 weeks ago and I am still in a hard cast using crutches. The recovery is slow. I will be in some form of cast or surgical boot for 6 months, then I will have physical therapy. From what my orthopedic surgeon said, he repairs many patients with similar problems as mine.

Can you tell me what you think caused my problems? I feel like my first doctor should have known that the tendon ruptured and the arch collapsed due to my obvious textbook symptoms. I am hopeful that my second doctor was able to repair everything, but I won't know for some time since I will be in a cast and boot and then therapy. Any information you can get me is greatly appreciated.

Re: Plantar Faciitis After Surgery Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:03 (047842)

Wow,

You have had alot of foot problems It sounds like the posterior tendon was torn or injured. Alot of time the pf release is done and the posterior tibial tendon is also part of the problem and won't be obvious . There is a problem doing the EPF or any pf release in that it can cause some collapse of the arch. Will have to just see how you do. Keep us informed

Re: Plantar Faciitis After Surgery Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 18:03 (047842)

Wow,

You have had alot of foot problems It sounds like the posterior tendon was torn or injured. Alot of time the pf release is done and the posterior tibial tendon is also part of the problem and won't be obvious . There is a problem doing the EPF or any pf release in that it can cause some collapse of the arch. Will have to just see how you do. Keep us informed