Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lateral pain

Posted by Linda Mc on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047859)

My husband is having pain on the lateral side of his foot but not by the heel. It is in the middle of it. I have been looking it up but cannot find information on it..Would like to know what to do, what it is causing that, and should he see a doctor.

Thank you Linda Mc.

Re: Lateral pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 19:35 (047860)

Are you talking about the outside area where there is a bone sticking out.
If this is the area then you have what is called personeal brevis tendonitis.

Have a doctor take a look before this becomes chronic with a long expensive treatment program. Feel free to ask any specifice questions

Re: Lateral pain DR Z

bg cped on 5/15/01 at 21:32 (047875)

Dr Z did you see the link further down I posted re the relationship with cavus foot and peroneal tendon problems? does it seem to go along with your findings? I saw another case today of a gentleman that had accute pain near styloid process as well as past history of lateral instability. He had an extreme cavus foot with about a 15 degree ff valgus. He was dx a few weeks ago with a split peroneal. They sent him for orthotics but they were made with a HUGH medial arch.
Do you see this often? I have been wondering lately why I am seeing so many of these. Your thoughts please. Also Dr Reid and Wander feel free to respond.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 09:21 (047939)

It is my opinion that the cavus foot type is usually part of the problem.

I do see this problem. I have no idea why. It isn't only in patients with injury or playing high impact sports.

I see alot of people coming in with orthosis that are placing the patients into varus position with their present orthosis.

I like the deep heel cup with good stabiization of the calcanues if possible.

What do you use in your orthosis prescriptions???

bg cped on 5/16/01 at 20:54 (048011)

I also find it is not limited to athletes, although i have seen 2 lones fx in the last 2 months, one had a re-fx and they also had orthotics that put them into varus, and they both had plantarflexed 1st ray with ff valgus.
I use an amfit scanner/milling machine. I can manipulate the scan and ad extrinsic posting very easily. Plus they are milled out of firm eva so they provide some cushion that the average cavus foot lacks.

I dont like to over state the cavus stuff, but I think it is one of the biggest problems in the foot ortotic business. Many have been trained to think 'low arch bad, high arch good' I think it is the old analogy dont look for a zebra on a horse farm. There needs to be more education on how to identify and treat this foot properly with orthotics.

Re: Lateral pain - to bg cped

Julie on 5/17/01 at 01:51 (048035)

I realize you were talking to Dr Z, but:

What is a re-fx?
What is ff valgus?
What is an amfit machine?

And - something I have been meaning to ask you for some time - what is a cavus foot? Excuse my ignorance, please!

Thanks

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 06:58 (048044)

sorry for the abreviations, its not an ignorant question. fx is fracture ff valgus is fore foot valgus, it is when your fore foot is not in proper alignment. Amfit machine is the system I use to make most of my orthotics. it is a computerized system. I think they have a website http://www.amfit.com

Julie on 5/17/01 at 08:06 (048057)

Thank you. I like to understand all the messages!

You didn't say anything about the cavus foot. Is it the high-arched foot, or is there more to it?

Re: To Julie Re: Lateral pain - to bg cped

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 08:28 (048062)

Julie,

Cavus just means high arch.

For a long description of forefoot valgus look below

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/Forefootvalgus.html

Julie on 5/17/01 at 08:42 (048063)

Thank you for clarifying this, Donna, and thanks for the link too.

Re: Lateral pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/15/01 at 19:35 (047860)

Are you talking about the outside area where there is a bone sticking out.
If this is the area then you have what is called personeal brevis tendonitis.

Have a doctor take a look before this becomes chronic with a long expensive treatment program. Feel free to ask any specifice questions

bg cped on 5/15/01 at 21:32 (047875)

Dr Z did you see the link further down I posted re the relationship with cavus foot and peroneal tendon problems? does it seem to go along with your findings? I saw another case today of a gentleman that had accute pain near styloid process as well as past history of lateral instability. He had an extreme cavus foot with about a 15 degree ff valgus. He was dx a few weeks ago with a split peroneal. They sent him for orthotics but they were made with a HUGH medial arch.
Do you see this often? I have been wondering lately why I am seeing so many of these. Your thoughts please. Also Dr Reid and Wander feel free to respond.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 09:21 (047939)

It is my opinion that the cavus foot type is usually part of the problem.

I do see this problem. I have no idea why. It isn't only in patients with injury or playing high impact sports.

I see alot of people coming in with orthosis that are placing the patients into varus position with their present orthosis.

I like the deep heel cup with good stabiization of the calcanues if possible.

What do you use in your orthosis prescriptions???

bg cped on 5/16/01 at 20:54 (048011)

I also find it is not limited to athletes, although i have seen 2 lones fx in the last 2 months, one had a re-fx and they also had orthotics that put them into varus, and they both had plantarflexed 1st ray with ff valgus.
I use an amfit scanner/milling machine. I can manipulate the scan and ad extrinsic posting very easily. Plus they are milled out of firm eva so they provide some cushion that the average cavus foot lacks.

I dont like to over state the cavus stuff, but I think it is one of the biggest problems in the foot ortotic business. Many have been trained to think 'low arch bad, high arch good' I think it is the old analogy dont look for a zebra on a horse farm. There needs to be more education on how to identify and treat this foot properly with orthotics.

Julie on 5/17/01 at 01:51 (048035)

I realize you were talking to Dr Z, but:

What is a re-fx?
What is ff valgus?
What is an amfit machine?

And - something I have been meaning to ask you for some time - what is a cavus foot? Excuse my ignorance, please!

Thanks

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 06:58 (048044)

sorry for the abreviations, its not an ignorant question. fx is fracture ff valgus is fore foot valgus, it is when your fore foot is not in proper alignment. Amfit machine is the system I use to make most of my orthotics. it is a computerized system. I think they have a website http://www.amfit.com

Julie on 5/17/01 at 08:06 (048057)

Thank you. I like to understand all the messages!

You didn't say anything about the cavus foot. Is it the high-arched foot, or is there more to it?

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 08:28 (048062)

Julie,

Cavus just means high arch.

For a long description of forefoot valgus look below

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/podiatry/Forefootvalgus.html

Julie on 5/17/01 at 08:42 (048063)

Thank you for clarifying this, Donna, and thanks for the link too.