Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Dilemma!

Posted by Lourie C. on 5/15/01 at hrmin (047877)

I have just been diagnoised by a podiatrist with x-rays that I have a heel spur. I am taking an anti-inflamitory medication and am using orthodics. Although my heel pain as decreased to tolerable, my outside ankle is terribly sore and swolen. I feel that all of the interventions are prolonging the inevitable, surgery. I am aware that the recovery is slow and can be painful, but I also don't feel that I have a choice if I want long-term relief. I am a busy mom with three children and this has greatly effected my daily life. HELP!! with any advice. Thank you-

Re: Surgery Dilemma!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 09:24 (047941)

Hi,

Did you sprain the ankle. Is there any pain on the bottom of the foot.

What does your pod say is causing the pain on the outside of your ankle??

Has there been an MRI study done. Wow alot of questions but will try to help you

Lourie C. on 5/16/01 at hrmin (047943)

Hi Dr. Zuckerman-
Thanks for responding. I actually e-mailed your website last evening about getting information on the ESWT procedure. To answer your questions: No I didn't sprain my ankle, the pain in my ankle began after I started wearing the orthos and taking the Celebrex, go figure. It's almost like the pain moved. My heel still hurts some but not to the degree it did. Could they perhaps not be related? There has been no MRI, only the initial x-rays. I am not scheduled to see my pod again until July. I am doing everything he told me to but to be honest, I don't see much relief, just a moving pain. I'm in desperate need of relief and my life back. It has truly slowed me down, I'm 33 and walk like I'm 80. Wearing the orthos is not a problem, but taking medication long-term doesn't intrest me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 18:06 (047988)

The orthosis could be pushing your foot to the outside and causing additional foot and or ankle painl Try to take them out for a few days and see what is happening.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 09:24 (047941)

Hi,

Did you sprain the ankle. Is there any pain on the bottom of the foot.

What does your pod say is causing the pain on the outside of your ankle??

Has there been an MRI study done. Wow alot of questions but will try to help you

Lourie C. on 5/16/01 at hrmin (047943)

Hi Dr. Zuckerman-
Thanks for responding. I actually e-mailed your website last evening about getting information on the ESWT procedure. To answer your questions: No I didn't sprain my ankle, the pain in my ankle began after I started wearing the orthos and taking the Celebrex, go figure. It's almost like the pain moved. My heel still hurts some but not to the degree it did. Could they perhaps not be related? There has been no MRI, only the initial x-rays. I am not scheduled to see my pod again until July. I am doing everything he told me to but to be honest, I don't see much relief, just a moving pain. I'm in desperate need of relief and my life back. It has truly slowed me down, I'm 33 and walk like I'm 80. Wearing the orthos is not a problem, but taking medication long-term doesn't intrest me.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/16/01 at 18:06 (047988)

The orthosis could be pushing your foot to the outside and causing additional foot and or ankle painl Try to take them out for a few days and see what is happening.