Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

No Pain! Really and truly

Posted by Sweetfeet on 5/16/01 at 07:37 (047919)

Hey, hey, hey! How are you guys! I remember reading a long time ago that when people get better they usually don't post this info. Well, I haven't forgotten you all and I am 100% better. Guess what--I gave up jogging/running. No more pounding my feet. Now, I use my feet for real fun things like walking, dancing, shopping, etc. I do spinning now for my cardio workout. I am very happy today. The excruciating pain has not come back. It used to go away the then COME BACK. It has no reappeared in a long, long time. This was truly the mystery of my pain - coming and going. This time for real it is gone!

Re: No Pain! Really and truly

Cynthia D on 5/16/01 at 07:56 (047927)

Thanks for coming back to check in on us still suffering! The boards crashed a few weeks ago and some data was lost here, but Scott still has the archives if you need anything. Wow, walking across the Golden Gate Bridge is so inspirational. Also, your words about changing your sports to adapt to your feet is true. I'm still hopeful, but not positive any more that I'll be on the tennis courts every day ever again. I'd just be happy to get through the day pain-free. Can you tell us, do you still have to wear orthotics, stretch, etc., or can you just live your life without any residues of this pf monster? Thanks for checking in again!

Tam M on 5/16/01 at 19:01 (047999)

Ok, tell me everything you did to get rid of your pain. If all your info is posted someplace already, let me know where to find it. Thanks!

john h on 5/17/01 at 09:36 (048070)

sweetfeet: how long did you have PF? yes why PF suddenly gets better or gets worse ranks right up there with the mystery of the great pyramids.

Sweetfeet on 5/17/01 at 10:26 (048084)

it really is a mystery. all i know is what i have said before: supportive shoes specifically birkenstocks, mephistos, danskos; anti-inflammatory medicine; no more running/walking for my cardio workout; no more swing dancing; and no more feeling sorry for myself! i really changed my life. i actually look at runners now and alot of them aren't smiling--they don't look too happy. i actually like my group spinning class. in fact, a lot runners are in there with different ailments other than pf. i really think running is what did my poor feet in. i actually had it in both feet at one point! i will say that with the way things have gone with this foot pain, i will not guarantee that it will not reappear. i will do all i can to take care of my feet, but if it comes back, i won't be surprised. i have had this on and off for 8 years! everytime it went away before, i always resumed running, walking, and aerobics. this time i am sticking with my NO IMPACT cardio workout.

JudyS on 5/17/01 at 11:02 (048087)

Sweetfeet - at the risk of exposing my ignorance....could you describe for us what 'spinning' is? And congratulations on your recovery and thanks for letting us know!

Re: No Pain! Really and truly/Thanks Judy!!

Donna M. on 5/18/01 at 00:19 (048168)

Thanks Judy, for doing what I wanted to and wouldn't! We will just look ignorant together, if that's the case, because I want to know what 'spinning' is also!! :)
Yes, Sweetfeet, congrats on your recovery!! Let us know what 'spinning' is and maybe we will get cured also!! :0)

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:18 (048173)

Judy, I was wondering about spinning too, and in a flight of fancy just now I decided maybe Sweetfeet was spinning, like rappers do (have I got that right?) on the top of her head.

I look forward to the correct explanation!

Re: Spinning is NOT Running!

Sweetfeet on 5/18/01 at 08:15 (048179)

I had to change my cardio workout. This was the workout I chose to do instead of my usual running (which I believe gave me PF). Spinning is done in a group class with a teacher. The teacher/instructor sits in the front of the class on a bike while the students face her on their bikes. The instructor has choreographed a routine on the bike to music. We can change the level or intensity of the bike to reflect what she is calling out for us to do. The bike is actually like a bike you would use outside except of course it is stationary. It is a fantastic cardio workout. It's fun and no impact! A lot of runners are in my class. I go several days a week to maintain my heart. When you leave this class, you are 'covered' in sweat and you haven't POUNDED your feet on cement. Btw, a lot runners say this is HARDER than running. So there!

JudyS on 5/18/01 at 10:16 (048193)

Are those bikes 'special' makes for spinning or are they like any road bike?

Sweetfeet on 5/18/01 at 12:34 (048205)

they are special bikes indeed. they are similar to road bikes, but they are stationary. you should try to check out a class. it really helps me to maintain my weight, and i know i am not hurting my feet. gee, i wish i had known more about taking care of my feet. i never really thought about them too much until i got pf. after getting pf, that is all i thought about!

JudyS on 5/18/01 at 12:46 (048207)

More questions SF...and thanks for your patience here! Do these bikes adjust for different pressures? Can you get them for home use? Thank you!

Sweetfeet on 5/20/01 at 10:42 (048355)

Actually, you can buy the bikes. You can also get a video tape for your 'workout' at home. I am posting this Sunday a.m.--went swing dancing last night, have my birkenstocks on right now, and I am completely pain free! People asked me where I was for the last year and I told them all about my pf. They seem intrigued because they had never heard of it. I suppose that would have been my reaction too in the days before pf. So, with the combination of everything I have done in the last year and a little more, I am 'cured' for now. Oh, yes, my dancing shoes were converted from very expensive (aren't they all) supportive shoes. I went to my special shoe store and found a pair of shoes I could convert by adding suede to the bottom. So, you see, WHATEVER activity I am doing like I said before--I ALWAYS, ALWAYS where supportive shoes. They are worth every penny. I will never go without them again.

Cynthia D on 5/16/01 at 07:56 (047927)

Thanks for coming back to check in on us still suffering! The boards crashed a few weeks ago and some data was lost here, but Scott still has the archives if you need anything. Wow, walking across the Golden Gate Bridge is so inspirational. Also, your words about changing your sports to adapt to your feet is true. I'm still hopeful, but not positive any more that I'll be on the tennis courts every day ever again. I'd just be happy to get through the day pain-free. Can you tell us, do you still have to wear orthotics, stretch, etc., or can you just live your life without any residues of this pf monster? Thanks for checking in again!

Tam M on 5/16/01 at 19:01 (047999)

Ok, tell me everything you did to get rid of your pain. If all your info is posted someplace already, let me know where to find it. Thanks!

john h on 5/17/01 at 09:36 (048070)

sweetfeet: how long did you have PF? yes why PF suddenly gets better or gets worse ranks right up there with the mystery of the great pyramids.

Sweetfeet on 5/17/01 at 10:26 (048084)

it really is a mystery. all i know is what i have said before: supportive shoes specifically birkenstocks, mephistos, danskos; anti-inflammatory medicine; no more running/walking for my cardio workout; no more swing dancing; and no more feeling sorry for myself! i really changed my life. i actually look at runners now and alot of them aren't smiling--they don't look too happy. i actually like my group spinning class. in fact, a lot runners are in there with different ailments other than pf. i really think running is what did my poor feet in. i actually had it in both feet at one point! i will say that with the way things have gone with this foot pain, i will not guarantee that it will not reappear. i will do all i can to take care of my feet, but if it comes back, i won't be surprised. i have had this on and off for 8 years! everytime it went away before, i always resumed running, walking, and aerobics. this time i am sticking with my NO IMPACT cardio workout.

JudyS on 5/17/01 at 11:02 (048087)

Sweetfeet - at the risk of exposing my ignorance....could you describe for us what 'spinning' is? And congratulations on your recovery and thanks for letting us know!

Re: No Pain! Really and truly/Thanks Judy!!

Donna M. on 5/18/01 at 00:19 (048168)

Thanks Judy, for doing what I wanted to and wouldn't! We will just look ignorant together, if that's the case, because I want to know what 'spinning' is also!! :)
Yes, Sweetfeet, congrats on your recovery!! Let us know what 'spinning' is and maybe we will get cured also!! :0)

Julie on 5/18/01 at 04:18 (048173)

Judy, I was wondering about spinning too, and in a flight of fancy just now I decided maybe Sweetfeet was spinning, like rappers do (have I got that right?) on the top of her head.

I look forward to the correct explanation!

Sweetfeet on 5/18/01 at 08:15 (048179)

I had to change my cardio workout. This was the workout I chose to do instead of my usual running (which I believe gave me PF). Spinning is done in a group class with a teacher. The teacher/instructor sits in the front of the class on a bike while the students face her on their bikes. The instructor has choreographed a routine on the bike to music. We can change the level or intensity of the bike to reflect what she is calling out for us to do. The bike is actually like a bike you would use outside except of course it is stationary. It is a fantastic cardio workout. It's fun and no impact! A lot of runners are in my class. I go several days a week to maintain my heart. When you leave this class, you are 'covered' in sweat and you haven't POUNDED your feet on cement. Btw, a lot runners say this is HARDER than running. So there!

JudyS on 5/18/01 at 10:16 (048193)

Are those bikes 'special' makes for spinning or are they like any road bike?

Sweetfeet on 5/18/01 at 12:34 (048205)

they are special bikes indeed. they are similar to road bikes, but they are stationary. you should try to check out a class. it really helps me to maintain my weight, and i know i am not hurting my feet. gee, i wish i had known more about taking care of my feet. i never really thought about them too much until i got pf. after getting pf, that is all i thought about!

JudyS on 5/18/01 at 12:46 (048207)

More questions SF...and thanks for your patience here! Do these bikes adjust for different pressures? Can you get them for home use? Thank you!

Sweetfeet on 5/20/01 at 10:42 (048355)

Actually, you can buy the bikes. You can also get a video tape for your 'workout' at home. I am posting this Sunday a.m.--went swing dancing last night, have my birkenstocks on right now, and I am completely pain free! People asked me where I was for the last year and I told them all about my pf. They seem intrigued because they had never heard of it. I suppose that would have been my reaction too in the days before pf. So, with the combination of everything I have done in the last year and a little more, I am 'cured' for now. Oh, yes, my dancing shoes were converted from very expensive (aren't they all) supportive shoes. I went to my special shoe store and found a pair of shoes I could convert by adding suede to the bottom. So, you see, WHATEVER activity I am doing like I said before--I ALWAYS, ALWAYS where supportive shoes. They are worth every penny. I will never go without them again.