Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heelspurs

Posted by Shirley R. on 5/16/01 at 07:48 (047925)

I would like to know if you get a heelspur, do you have it for life or does it go away with time?

Re: Heelspurs

CatherineL on 5/16/01 at 09:03 (047936)

Hi all,

Laser Therapy is somewhat new - used only for a few years, it seems. The laser is non invasive and not intensive.

I went to a clinic specializing in bone and tissue injuries. They used to offer ESWT and laser and have opted to go with only laser. I'm told the decision was due to effectiveness and cost. The ESWT was not anymore effective and extremely costly compared to the laser.

There seem to be different machines, but the one they use is a tall machine which is positioned above and the low level laser beam is targeted on the injury (for 7 minutes at this clinic). It is a beam about the size of a golf ball. You feel ABSOLUTELY nothing. (this testimonial comes from a whimp-when it comes to my feet). It took 4 weeks and a total of 6 visits at only $7/visit.

I think it's supposed to breakdown the scar tissue and help the area to re-heel itself. I have some tingling and uncomfortableness when I appy pressure in the area which used to be painful. I'm told that means it is healing.

I've heard it's still not readily available and guess I'm lucky to have a clinic about an hour drive (actually 2 clinics in the area that I know of) who do this. There's also not much info on the web about it either. This is one site that I've found that seems to have some basic info on it. http://www.laserhealthsystems.com/Levelaser2.htm

My next step if this failed was to fly out for ESWT treatment.

I would recommend this option to everyone if you have it available. It doesn't seem to have any negative effects, so I think its worth a try, especially considering the limited amount of pain, time, and money.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

CatherineL on 5/16/01 at 13:41 (047962)

Sorry,

Posted to the treatment message board, but it ended up here...

CatherineL on 5/16/01 at 09:03 (047936)

Hi all,

Laser Therapy is somewhat new - used only for a few years, it seems. The laser is non invasive and not intensive.

I went to a clinic specializing in bone and tissue injuries. They used to offer ESWT and laser and have opted to go with only laser. I'm told the decision was due to effectiveness and cost. The ESWT was not anymore effective and extremely costly compared to the laser.

There seem to be different machines, but the one they use is a tall machine which is positioned above and the low level laser beam is targeted on the injury (for 7 minutes at this clinic). It is a beam about the size of a golf ball. You feel ABSOLUTELY nothing. (this testimonial comes from a whimp-when it comes to my feet). It took 4 weeks and a total of 6 visits at only $7/visit.

I think it's supposed to breakdown the scar tissue and help the area to re-heel itself. I have some tingling and uncomfortableness when I appy pressure in the area which used to be painful. I'm told that means it is healing.

I've heard it's still not readily available and guess I'm lucky to have a clinic about an hour drive (actually 2 clinics in the area that I know of) who do this. There's also not much info on the web about it either. This is one site that I've found that seems to have some basic info on it. http://www.laserhealthsystems.com/Levelaser2.htm

My next step if this failed was to fly out for ESWT treatment.

I would recommend this option to everyone if you have it available. It doesn't seem to have any negative effects, so I think its worth a try, especially considering the limited amount of pain, time, and money.

Hope this helps.

Catherine

CatherineL on 5/16/01 at 13:41 (047962)

Sorry,

Posted to the treatment message board, but it ended up here...