Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

90 Days Post-Op STATUS UPDATE

Posted by Scott2 on 5/16/01 at 12:36 (047951)

Hi Foot Folks,

The stats: male, 33 yrs old, 205 lbs, very active, no medical history problems

Just wanted to give you an update on my progress. I had surgery on Feb 16, 2001 for a distal tarsal tunnel release and a partial plantar fascia release.

Currently, I can bike, swim, lift weights and do a limited amount of walking. I am up to cycling 35 miles outdoors with very little discomfort. That means I can do 2/3 of a triathlon which is my long term goal. I know it will happen. I am wearing running shoes (New Balance 1121 - made for heavy runners with low to flat arches - firm shoe) with the custom orthotics I had made before surgery. The custom orthotics are very stiff and hard so I could not wear them until now due to the soreness it was causing on my heel (surgery foot). As a result, I think I spent about $400 looking for the right shoes over the last three months - my wife is jealous of my shoe collection.

Overall, I am happy with the results. It takes a long time to get better and I have been very aggressive with my rehab doing lots of stretching, strengthening, massaging, and icing. I have not done any formal PT - all on my own. I am not taking any medications other than an occassional dose of good old advil.

I do not have the pain I had before surgery. My foot is still slightly swollen and is stiff in the morning and sore at night. I sit most of the day, but sometimes have to do a lot of standing/walking at work. My podiatrist is going to make a new set of orthotics once the slight swelling is gone - hopefully by the next vist in a month.

SIDE NOTE: Avoid standing if you are on your feet. Move around to activate your muscles and take the stress off of the tendons/ligaments in your foot that have to support you when you are still. Get those leg muscles involved.

Overall, the surgery was the right thing for me to do as I had exhausted all non-invasive methods. Again, I know it is a long road to get better, and I am taking this injury head-on in getting better. I do not think I would have made the progress for where I am today if I was not doing all of my exercises and home therapy.

The only bummer is that I am having problems with my other foot now and it is most likely plantar fascitis. I do not think it is nerve related and am hoping that the orthotics will work along with some other exercises - we'll see. I purchased the N'ice and Stretch boot for wearing at night and icing which I am going to use on my non-surgery foot.

The surgery itself was nothing. The recovery has been the challenge. You have to keep at it each day even when there are weeks of no progress - which I have had. The key is to keep doing it because the progress is happening even though you cannot detect it at times.

As Jimmy V said, 'Don't give up. Don't ever give up.'

To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thanks, Scott

Re: 90 Days Post-Op STATUS UPDATE

chris on 5/16/01 at 14:38 (047972)

Scott2,
How wonderful that things are getting better! I'm 6 1/2 months post-op and believe the surgery was the right thing for me too. It does take time and I am slowly getting back into my exercise routine. I think I tried to do too much too soon following surgery. I have no pain with everyday activities....a wonderful change from those pre-surgery days.

chris

Pauline on 5/16/01 at 19:14 (048000)

Scott,
This post has a familiar ring. I think I remember you posting this once before.

GinaC on 5/16/01 at 19:29 (048002)

Scott--thanks for the very encouraging post. I had the same surgery you did (plus spur removal) 9 weeks ago and although I still have pain I think and hope that I'm making progress. Since I'm not working, I do have the luxury of resting when I have soreness. I'm slowly increasing my activity level. I'm also swimming,stretching, and messaging the incision line. There are times when it is very hard to say that I'm improving and other times when I'm pain-free very briefly--hope to have more of the latter soon. But I'm in this over the long haul, so if it takes me 6 months to recover, so be it. Again, thank you for letting us know of your improvement. Gina

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:40 (048024)

Scott - I am very happy things contiue to improve for you...please don't forget about us...and keep us posted on your progress. A good success story is really nice to hear!

Julie on 5/17/01 at 01:47 (048034)

Scott, it's good of you to take the time to give us your report. Thanks for not disappearing down the road! My very best wishes to you for your continued good foot health.

JudyS on 5/17/01 at 10:55 (048086)

Scott - thanks for your thorough update. It's so good to hear about those who are recovering and are very pro-active with their own therapy. Good for you!

Jana on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049643)

Wow, you sound like you're doing phenomenally well. Were you active prior to the surgery? I can't believe you're able to ride a bike three months after your surgery! I have not been able to tolerate anything that strenuous in two years (since original PF diagnoses). Your story makes me want to go out and have the surgery tomorrow! How much walking around are you doing during the day? For example, how much can you want anyone distance at a time, one block? One block every two hours? Just trying to get an idea...

chris on 5/16/01 at 14:38 (047972)

Scott2,
How wonderful that things are getting better! I'm 6 1/2 months post-op and believe the surgery was the right thing for me too. It does take time and I am slowly getting back into my exercise routine. I think I tried to do too much too soon following surgery. I have no pain with everyday activities....a wonderful change from those pre-surgery days.

chris

Pauline on 5/16/01 at 19:14 (048000)

Scott,
This post has a familiar ring. I think I remember you posting this once before.

GinaC on 5/16/01 at 19:29 (048002)

Scott--thanks for the very encouraging post. I had the same surgery you did (plus spur removal) 9 weeks ago and although I still have pain I think and hope that I'm making progress. Since I'm not working, I do have the luxury of resting when I have soreness. I'm slowly increasing my activity level. I'm also swimming,stretching, and messaging the incision line. There are times when it is very hard to say that I'm improving and other times when I'm pain-free very briefly--hope to have more of the latter soon. But I'm in this over the long haul, so if it takes me 6 months to recover, so be it. Again, thank you for letting us know of your improvement. Gina

wendyn on 5/16/01 at 22:40 (048024)

Scott - I am very happy things contiue to improve for you...please don't forget about us...and keep us posted on your progress. A good success story is really nice to hear!

Julie on 5/17/01 at 01:47 (048034)

Scott, it's good of you to take the time to give us your report. Thanks for not disappearing down the road! My very best wishes to you for your continued good foot health.

JudyS on 5/17/01 at 10:55 (048086)

Scott - thanks for your thorough update. It's so good to hear about those who are recovering and are very pro-active with their own therapy. Good for you!

Jana on 6/01/01 at hrmin (049643)

Wow, you sound like you're doing phenomenally well. Were you active prior to the surgery? I can't believe you're able to ride a bike three months after your surgery! I have not been able to tolerate anything that strenuous in two years (since original PF diagnoses). Your story makes me want to go out and have the surgery tomorrow! How much walking around are you doing during the day? For example, how much can you want anyone distance at a time, one block? One block every two hours? Just trying to get an idea...