Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Second comeback from achilles tendonitis

Posted by Aging Veteran on 5/16/01 at 12:55 (047958)

I have just been treated for the second time in the last year for acute achilles tendonitis. I was cleared yesterday to resume activity but am a little hesitant since the problem quickly came back after my first treatment. Ultrasound shows the tendon to be normal but I don't want to overdo it and end up back in the achilles boot again. Basketball is usually my main activity but I don't think that I am ready for that. What forms of activity do you prescribe for your patients in the beginning of the comeback? Also, should I expect any sort of pain in the area from the lack of activity? I have a high pain tolerance and want to avoid over doing it until the injury is fully healed. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Second comeback from achilles tendonitis

Elaine K. on 5/16/01 at 13:13 (047959)

What type of treatment did you get for the achilles tendonitis? How long did you have to wear the boot? E.

niels l on 5/17/01 at 02:24 (048038)

hi,

I am also interested in hearing about your treatment and also more about the boot.

It might help other AT sufferes.

Aging Veteran on 5/17/01 at 09:36 (048071)

The first time I had the boot on for 13 weeks but I must have came back too fast because the achilles tendonitis returned within a couple of months. I wore the Bledsoe achilles boot for 7 weeks this last time. It is a much better boot in my opinion than the basic low boot that I used the first time. I think that 8-12 weeks is the usual time for a boot. I had all of the conservative treatment before the boot ( taping, heel lifts, cortisone shots, stimulation) with little improvement. I think that the Bledsoe achilles boot is the way to go. Good luck as this is a long and agonizing injury.

Aging Veteran on 5/17/01 at 09:37 (048072)

See previous comment. Best of luck.

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 14:04 (048101)

Be very carefull when first comming out of the boot. The muscles have deteriated and the achillies attachment to the bone probably has become weak from lack of use. Avoid exspolsive movement with the achillies untill you have had time to strengthen and strech it out. Dr. B.

Elaine K. on 5/16/01 at 13:13 (047959)

What type of treatment did you get for the achilles tendonitis? How long did you have to wear the boot? E.

niels l on 5/17/01 at 02:24 (048038)

hi,

I am also interested in hearing about your treatment and also more about the boot.

It might help other AT sufferes.

Aging Veteran on 5/17/01 at 09:36 (048071)

The first time I had the boot on for 13 weeks but I must have came back too fast because the achilles tendonitis returned within a couple of months. I wore the Bledsoe achilles boot for 7 weeks this last time. It is a much better boot in my opinion than the basic low boot that I used the first time. I think that 8-12 weeks is the usual time for a boot. I had all of the conservative treatment before the boot ( taping, heel lifts, cortisone shots, stimulation) with little improvement. I think that the Bledsoe achilles boot is the way to go. Good luck as this is a long and agonizing injury.

Aging Veteran on 5/17/01 at 09:37 (048072)

See previous comment. Best of luck.

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 14:04 (048101)

Be very carefull when first comming out of the boot. The muscles have deteriated and the achillies attachment to the bone probably has become weak from lack of use. Avoid exspolsive movement with the achillies untill you have had time to strengthen and strech it out. Dr. B.