Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunionectomy

Posted by Kris on 5/16/01 at hrmin (047961)

I am having a bunionectomy soon and would like to know what to expect during recovery. I have 2 small children and really need to get a feel for the kind of help I'm going to need. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

Re: Bunionectomy

claudia on 5/16/01 at 13:51 (047964)

Hi Kris. My advice is this.....arrange for ALOT of help! i had a bunionectomy in january and my youngest child is almost 14; i can't imagine being incapacitated like that with little ones around. actually i thought caring for the foot post surgery was alot like caring for an infant, with all the constant 'needs' the foot has for awhile! i will say though that it was only about six or seven weeks before i could hobble around without really bad pain. hmmm....bet that doesn't sound real positive does it? i'd say start cooking things now and freezing them for one thing...are you married? does your husband cook? enlist everyone you know in the food area...i think that would be most helpful for you. and someone to be with YOU for the first few days. ofcourse you may end up 'owing' your friends for years to come, but it's worth it!!! best of luck to you. you will be FINE.

Dr. David S .Wander on 5/16/01 at 14:02 (047966)

There are many types of bunion procedures, and your recovery will depend on the procedure performed. The most common bunionectomy procedure performed involves a surgical removal of the 'bump' and a realignment of the metatarsal bone with screw(s) or wire(s) inserted to maintain the correction and allow the area to heal properly. If your doctor told you that you would be allowed to be weightbearing, I think your recovery will be a lot less traumatic than you think. The majority of my patients are placed in a removable walking cast post-operatively and ambulate without the use of a cane or crutches. These patients are in a comfortable sneaker in an average of 3 weeks post-operatively. However, from the first day post op, these patients are not invalids and can function well with moderate activity. Additionally, post operative pain is rarely an issue, as long as you follow your doctor's advice regarding activity, ice, elevation, etc. I practice in a very large area (Philadelphia) and most of the docs in my area have the patients back into a sneaker in approximately 3 weeks, though it depends on the procedure. Regardless, you should be asking these questions to the doctor that is performing your surgery, or asking patients that your doctor has performed the surgery on. Otherwise, all other answers may cause you unnecessary stress. Good luck and ask your doctor if you have any concerns.

Kris on 5/17/01 at 15:57 (048116)

Thanks Claudia for the advice and good wishes. I know once I'm done I'm going to wish I had done it years ago. There is no good time to be in a cast for 6 weeks so I might as well get one of them over with. Hope you are getting around great!

Kris

claudia on 5/17/01 at 22:14 (048162)

you're going to be in a cast? i wasn't.....but like the good doctors say, it all depends on the particular procedure you are having. at any rate, freeze that food in advance!!! you'll be just fine and glad you did it, yes! take care.

claudia on 5/16/01 at 13:51 (047964)

Hi Kris. My advice is this.....arrange for ALOT of help! i had a bunionectomy in january and my youngest child is almost 14; i can't imagine being incapacitated like that with little ones around. actually i thought caring for the foot post surgery was alot like caring for an infant, with all the constant 'needs' the foot has for awhile! i will say though that it was only about six or seven weeks before i could hobble around without really bad pain. hmmm....bet that doesn't sound real positive does it? i'd say start cooking things now and freezing them for one thing...are you married? does your husband cook? enlist everyone you know in the food area...i think that would be most helpful for you. and someone to be with YOU for the first few days. ofcourse you may end up 'owing' your friends for years to come, but it's worth it!!! best of luck to you. you will be FINE.

Dr. David S .Wander on 5/16/01 at 14:02 (047966)

There are many types of bunion procedures, and your recovery will depend on the procedure performed. The most common bunionectomy procedure performed involves a surgical removal of the 'bump' and a realignment of the metatarsal bone with screw(s) or wire(s) inserted to maintain the correction and allow the area to heal properly. If your doctor told you that you would be allowed to be weightbearing, I think your recovery will be a lot less traumatic than you think. The majority of my patients are placed in a removable walking cast post-operatively and ambulate without the use of a cane or crutches. These patients are in a comfortable sneaker in an average of 3 weeks post-operatively. However, from the first day post op, these patients are not invalids and can function well with moderate activity. Additionally, post operative pain is rarely an issue, as long as you follow your doctor's advice regarding activity, ice, elevation, etc. I practice in a very large area (Philadelphia) and most of the docs in my area have the patients back into a sneaker in approximately 3 weeks, though it depends on the procedure. Regardless, you should be asking these questions to the doctor that is performing your surgery, or asking patients that your doctor has performed the surgery on. Otherwise, all other answers may cause you unnecessary stress. Good luck and ask your doctor if you have any concerns.

Kris on 5/17/01 at 15:57 (048116)

Thanks Claudia for the advice and good wishes. I know once I'm done I'm going to wish I had done it years ago. There is no good time to be in a cast for 6 weeks so I might as well get one of them over with. Hope you are getting around great!

Kris

claudia on 5/17/01 at 22:14 (048162)

you're going to be in a cast? i wasn't.....but like the good doctors say, it all depends on the particular procedure you are having. at any rate, freeze that food in advance!!! you'll be just fine and glad you did it, yes! take care.