Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF with toe pain

Posted by Kathy K. on 5/16/01 at hrmin (048008)

Two months ago, I injured my left foot while pulling heavy luggage up a steep, concrete incline. I knew at the time something was wrong, but pain was not present. Within the next few weeks the pain in the ball of my foot, between the 2nd and 3rd toes increased. It hurt to walk barefoot on a hard floor, but only in the ball of the foot and slightly into the arch. Hurts a few minutes upon first walking in the morning. Walking in cushioned shoes seemed to help loosen it up until later after walking when it would hurt worse. I couldn't lie on my stomach as it pressed the two toes backward causing pain in them. My calves would cramp up if I tried to compensate in any way while walking. All this while out of the country where I had to do alot of walking.

By the end of two months, the pain had spread to my heal and there was tingling with it and sharp pains throughout my foot. But the source still seems to be associated with the toes--in the ball of the foot. The pain is worse when on toes or exerting pressure on the ball of the foot as in the original injury. I went to an orthopedic/sports medicine doctor yesterday and he diagnosed PF and gave me two stretching excercises, Vioxx samples (12 doses 25 mg each) and instructed me to ice it. I've done some reading on the web and haven't seen any mention of primary involvement of the toes--most info is related primarily to the heal. Xrays showed nothing.

Do you have any information or advice to offer given the description above? would taping the arch be of any good? Is there something to be done for the toes?

Appreciate any comments that may help me prevent a long drawn out process as some others have suffered as described on the board.

THANK YOU!!

Kathy

Re: PF with toe pain

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 13:59 (048100)

It is easy to injure the area around the ball of the foot when working on an incline plane. The currling of the toes as you walk upwards can displace the fat pad from protecting the metatarsal heads resulting in a capsulitis. It also streches the plantar fascia and depending on your bone structure, it can cause the mylin sheth around the nerve between the 2nd and third toe to become inflamed. Follow the doctors recomendations. Some times taping and/or an arch support and/or a metatarsal pad can help ease the strain/presure off the area allowing it to heel less painfully. Dr. B.

Kathy K. on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048692)

Thanks, Dr. Biehler, for the info--its more than I received elsewhere. Can you explain briefly what mylin sheth is and also capsulitis? I did find info on capsulitis, but in regard to frozen shoulder.

I taped the arch, but now the side of the foot next to the arch is sore and it seems the toe/ball of foot pain is worse. Any suggestions? what about shoes--anything that feels good? I've noticed that shoes with a higher heel than toe bother the ball of the foot, so I'm not going to wear tthem anymore.

Thanks again for the input...I do have a followup with the orthopedic doctor. Would a podiatrist be better?

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 13:59 (048100)

It is easy to injure the area around the ball of the foot when working on an incline plane. The currling of the toes as you walk upwards can displace the fat pad from protecting the metatarsal heads resulting in a capsulitis. It also streches the plantar fascia and depending on your bone structure, it can cause the mylin sheth around the nerve between the 2nd and third toe to become inflamed. Follow the doctors recomendations. Some times taping and/or an arch support and/or a metatarsal pad can help ease the strain/presure off the area allowing it to heel less painfully. Dr. B.

Kathy K. on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048692)

Thanks, Dr. Biehler, for the info--its more than I received elsewhere. Can you explain briefly what mylin sheth is and also capsulitis? I did find info on capsulitis, but in regard to frozen shoulder.

I taped the arch, but now the side of the foot next to the arch is sore and it seems the toe/ball of foot pain is worse. Any suggestions? what about shoes--anything that feels good? I've noticed that shoes with a higher heel than toe bother the ball of the foot, so I'm not going to wear tthem anymore.

Thanks again for the input...I do have a followup with the orthopedic doctor. Would a podiatrist be better?