Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cynthia D. How are the ZCoils?

Posted by John M. on 5/17/01 at 03:13 (048039)

I saw that you ordered Zcoils in April. How do you like them. My PF is in total remission because of this miracle shoe

Re: Cynthia D. How are the ZCoils?

Cynthia D on 5/17/01 at 07:27 (048047)

Hi John, I'm glad they worked for you. Total Remission? (Remission seems like an appropriate word as I don't know that this thing ever goes away entirely.) That's great. How long had you had pf and what had you done before that? I got myself into a pretty severe situation because I didn't seek medical attention until I had it for 4 1/2 years and basically couldn't walk any more. I had ESWT a few weeks before I ordered the Zcoils and was actually much worse, in a wheelchair/on crutches, not able to walk at all for almost 10 weeks. During this time, I tried them. I felt too imbalanced and that the shoes were so very different, that I wouldn't be able to wear anthing else if I got used to them. They also did something funky to my knees and hips. (I had shattered my hip in a boating accident as a teen). Had I been in a little better shape at the time, they might have helped, but at the time, I couldn't break in something new.

I was impressed by their customer service. If all companies were run so well, the world would be a much more pleasant place. They seem like they are on to something good, especially if they can enclose that funny-looking coil. I'm glad they tamed your pf monster.

karenc on 5/17/01 at 09:48 (048076)

ok - I'm so curious. I'm new to this board and probably missed some things in the past (there's a lot there and what I had been in seems to have gotten lost recently). Anyway, I've been suffering w/ pf since last Aug. (did some treatment, etc.- it got better, kept running daily, stopped all the treatment b/c I was lazy, it got worse, much worse, etc.). Anyway, I'm now into icing, stretching, a night splint (that I think may make it worse), and am waiting on my $250 orthotics to be delivered. My new Birks and the splint seem to have aggravated the situation somewhat, so I am always up for something new. I heard cortisone shots could give me some other problem, so I haven't done that, but I am on Vioxx. Anyway, would love to hear about these shoes.

Cynthia D on 5/18/01 at 08:39 (048184)

Hi Karen, you can go to ZCoils.com or maybe ZCoil.com. I'm sure if you did a search here you can find the web address and order them on line. Did you stop running? The best thing for you is that you caught it early. Your chances of beating this are much better than if you had waited. When you get your new orthotics, I'm sure you know that you have to break them in gradually. Your feet will get more sore during this period. I also have trouble wearing Birkenstocks sometimes. You just have to keep trying things and do what works. If you need to wear anything besides sneakers, I also recommend getting your pod to make 'dress' orthotics, which are 3/4 length and will fit into most loafer types and dress shoes. And then wear them religiously! Regarding the night splint, could you be wearing it incorrectly, too tight, etc.? Just a thought. The night splint helped me before ESWT. Also, I find Vioxx works well. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

karenc on 5/18/01 at 14:30 (048215)

Hi - thanks for the response. Yes, I had to stop running and I am trying to figure out just what seems to aggravate my foot and what doesn't. but I'm trying all kinds of things, so I'm going to look into these zcoils. and dress orthotics are next on the agenda (after I save up some cash!). I'll keep you posted. bye.

Re: Am I just too vain?

karenc on 5/22/01 at 15:05 (048591)

ok - maybe the pain is not bad enough (though I long to run and walk in this spring weather), but I don't think I can cough up $150 bucks to wear those? will I change my mind if the pain gets worse? or do they really not look so - whatever the proper word is - in real life?

Cynthia D on 5/17/01 at 07:27 (048047)

Hi John, I'm glad they worked for you. Total Remission? (Remission seems like an appropriate word as I don't know that this thing ever goes away entirely.) That's great. How long had you had pf and what had you done before that? I got myself into a pretty severe situation because I didn't seek medical attention until I had it for 4 1/2 years and basically couldn't walk any more. I had ESWT a few weeks before I ordered the Zcoils and was actually much worse, in a wheelchair/on crutches, not able to walk at all for almost 10 weeks. During this time, I tried them. I felt too imbalanced and that the shoes were so very different, that I wouldn't be able to wear anthing else if I got used to them. They also did something funky to my knees and hips. (I had shattered my hip in a boating accident as a teen). Had I been in a little better shape at the time, they might have helped, but at the time, I couldn't break in something new.

I was impressed by their customer service. If all companies were run so well, the world would be a much more pleasant place. They seem like they are on to something good, especially if they can enclose that funny-looking coil. I'm glad they tamed your pf monster.

karenc on 5/17/01 at 09:48 (048076)

ok - I'm so curious. I'm new to this board and probably missed some things in the past (there's a lot there and what I had been in seems to have gotten lost recently). Anyway, I've been suffering w/ pf since last Aug. (did some treatment, etc.- it got better, kept running daily, stopped all the treatment b/c I was lazy, it got worse, much worse, etc.). Anyway, I'm now into icing, stretching, a night splint (that I think may make it worse), and am waiting on my $250 orthotics to be delivered. My new Birks and the splint seem to have aggravated the situation somewhat, so I am always up for something new. I heard cortisone shots could give me some other problem, so I haven't done that, but I am on Vioxx. Anyway, would love to hear about these shoes.

Cynthia D on 5/18/01 at 08:39 (048184)

Hi Karen, you can go to ZCoils.com or maybe ZCoil.com. I'm sure if you did a search here you can find the web address and order them on line. Did you stop running? The best thing for you is that you caught it early. Your chances of beating this are much better than if you had waited. When you get your new orthotics, I'm sure you know that you have to break them in gradually. Your feet will get more sore during this period. I also have trouble wearing Birkenstocks sometimes. You just have to keep trying things and do what works. If you need to wear anything besides sneakers, I also recommend getting your pod to make 'dress' orthotics, which are 3/4 length and will fit into most loafer types and dress shoes. And then wear them religiously! Regarding the night splint, could you be wearing it incorrectly, too tight, etc.? Just a thought. The night splint helped me before ESWT. Also, I find Vioxx works well. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

karenc on 5/18/01 at 14:30 (048215)

Hi - thanks for the response. Yes, I had to stop running and I am trying to figure out just what seems to aggravate my foot and what doesn't. but I'm trying all kinds of things, so I'm going to look into these zcoils. and dress orthotics are next on the agenda (after I save up some cash!). I'll keep you posted. bye.

Re: Am I just too vain?

karenc on 5/22/01 at 15:05 (048591)

ok - maybe the pain is not bad enough (though I long to run and walk in this spring weather), but I don't think I can cough up $150 bucks to wear those? will I change my mind if the pain gets worse? or do they really not look so - whatever the proper word is - in real life?