Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery for corns

Posted by dinelld on 5/17/01 at hrmin (048045)

I have a corn on both fifth toes that are bothersome. I have managed over the years to keep them trimmed and bathed so they don't give me much discomfort. I am considering surgery to permanently remove this problem. My questions are as follows: Is it true that there is only a two week recovery period? Will I actually be able to wear shoes in two weeks or will I be stuck wearing some 'ugly orthopedic shoes.?' Will the pain go away in two weeks? How much pain will there be? Where do they put the needle on the foot area. Will they numb the area before the needle? As you can probably tell, I am really skeptical about this procedure. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: surgery for corns

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 13:45 (048097)

It depends on where the corn is, what is causing it and what procedure they are going to do. If they are planning on just removing the hypertrophied bone in a minimal incision type surgery, I usually keep the patient in a surgical shoe for a week. At that time they usually can go back to shoes that don't put to much pressure on the area that was opperated. I give a pain medication to the patient, but I find most patients don't even bother filling it because the pain is so little. If you are doing a procedure where they open the toe up, the recovery period is much longer and you will probably need the pain medication. Dr.B.

Re: surgery for corns

Dr. Biehler on 5/17/01 at 13:45 (048097)

It depends on where the corn is, what is causing it and what procedure they are going to do. If they are planning on just removing the hypertrophied bone in a minimal incision type surgery, I usually keep the patient in a surgical shoe for a week. At that time they usually can go back to shoes that don't put to much pressure on the area that was opperated. I give a pain medication to the patient, but I find most patients don't even bother filling it because the pain is so little. If you are doing a procedure where they open the toe up, the recovery period is much longer and you will probably need the pain medication. Dr.B.