Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

READ THIS!! Active Release Technique A.R.T. update

Posted by Celia on 5/17/01 at 12:03 (048095)

After a few visits with my chiropractor, I have been feeling much better! Actually, getting up this morning wasn't as bad and I hadn't felt that in MONTHS!! YEARS!! It appears that as the chiropractor deeply massages my legs, achilles and feet, he's breaking up a lot of old scar tissue. I can feel it while he's deeply massaging the tissues (it's painful, but worth it!). They feel like little bean bags. After that, I go into a room where his assistant applies cold packs on my legs and achilles for 15 minutes. I was told NO HEAT, NO JACUZZI because what I have is chronic. I can tell the difference from when I was applying heat on my calves every night. They would kill me the next morning.

So, the treatment is helping!! I'm back to wearing heels at work and can actually stay standing and can walk for a much longer period of time. What a difference!! THANK GOD!! I guess a deep massage therapist can probably do the same thing, but if you want to find someone close to your area who is A.R.T. certified, call 1-888-396-2727. Thanks to BrianJ who found the phone number. When you call that number, they will ask you for your zip code so that they may give you a name of someone who's certified in your area. This clinic fortunately has a dietitician who is filling me in with taking the proper vitamins, enzymes, etc. She took a calcium test to see if I'm storing all the bad calcium in my lower extremities, which apparently I am. Today, I will fill out a survey so she can determine which vitamins will be good with providing the right type of calcium, vitamins, etc. for my body. I highly recommend that, too.

Hallelujah, I'm getting there!

Try it! It wouldn't hurt.

Re: READ THIS!! Active Release Technique A.R.T. update

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 18:10 (048122)

Did they tell you how or why you have all that scar tissue in your legs? I am curious to learn more

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 19:45 (048134)

Hi BG,

I know you were asking Celia, but maybe I can help. I asked my pod, why the lower extremities get so affected from foot pain, and he said when you're in pain somewhere in your body, ie. feet for example, the rest of the body will start to compensate for the pain, and other parts will actually tighten up to act as a protective sort of action. After years of chronic pain, mucles, and fascial tissue become tighter, and tighter, and adhesions (what Celia is referring to as scar tissue) start to form in the tissue. This sets up even more of an inflammatory response, and nerves can become irritated/entrapped too. This is almost impossible to get out with self stretching.

Therapies like ART, and myofacial release gets rid of all these adhesions that form over the years in the tissues from repetitive stress injuries, chronic pain, etc., and flexiblity is restored. I had many months of deep tissue massage, but it didn't help that much, and might have done some harm. I did some research on deep tissue massage, and found it helps tight muscles, but doesn't address and treat tight fascia. I feel 5 years younger after just 7 weeks of ART therapy.

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 20:45 (048143)

Thanks I figured it was something like that, didnt think it was actually scar tissue. hope you are doing well with new orthotics

CatherineL on 5/18/01 at 14:26 (048213)

My phisiotherapist used deep muscle massage up the front insides of my calves. I went to her with PF and wondered why she was massaging my calves, but she explaned it very similar to Donna's explaination.

Each time she did the massage, the number of painful spots were less and less until about the 8th time, there was no pain. The spots felt like little lumps.

I didn't get rid of my PF, but it did help with aches and pains I was getting in my legs and feet that I really didn't think about because the PF was so painful.

Definately uncomfortable, but very worth it.

CL

Celia on 5/22/01 at 12:04 (048577)

WELL SAID, DONNA!!

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 18:10 (048122)

Did they tell you how or why you have all that scar tissue in your legs? I am curious to learn more

Donna SL on 5/17/01 at 19:45 (048134)

Hi BG,

I know you were asking Celia, but maybe I can help. I asked my pod, why the lower extremities get so affected from foot pain, and he said when you're in pain somewhere in your body, ie. feet for example, the rest of the body will start to compensate for the pain, and other parts will actually tighten up to act as a protective sort of action. After years of chronic pain, mucles, and fascial tissue become tighter, and tighter, and adhesions (what Celia is referring to as scar tissue) start to form in the tissue. This sets up even more of an inflammatory response, and nerves can become irritated/entrapped too. This is almost impossible to get out with self stretching.

Therapies like ART, and myofacial release gets rid of all these adhesions that form over the years in the tissues from repetitive stress injuries, chronic pain, etc., and flexiblity is restored. I had many months of deep tissue massage, but it didn't help that much, and might have done some harm. I did some research on deep tissue massage, and found it helps tight muscles, but doesn't address and treat tight fascia. I feel 5 years younger after just 7 weeks of ART therapy.

bg cped on 5/17/01 at 20:45 (048143)

Thanks I figured it was something like that, didnt think it was actually scar tissue. hope you are doing well with new orthotics

CatherineL on 5/18/01 at 14:26 (048213)

My phisiotherapist used deep muscle massage up the front insides of my calves. I went to her with PF and wondered why she was massaging my calves, but she explaned it very similar to Donna's explaination.

Each time she did the massage, the number of painful spots were less and less until about the 8th time, there was no pain. The spots felt like little lumps.

I didn't get rid of my PF, but it did help with aches and pains I was getting in my legs and feet that I really didn't think about because the PF was so painful.

Definately uncomfortable, but very worth it.

CL

Celia on 5/22/01 at 12:04 (048577)

WELL SAID, DONNA!!