Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My horror story, with my good news, long

Posted by Lori E. on 5/17/01 at 23:02 (048164)

I contracted PF when I changed jobs and started walking about 30 downtown concrete sidewalk blocks each workday. It took almost 3 month from my first contracting PF and 2 month from the time that I requested to change jobsites for them to move me from that postion. My employer was slow to move me to another placement where I wouldn't be on my feet.

Unfortunately they put me at a jobsite where I was still needing to be on my feet. I was standing on carpeted concrete floors, had to walk several blocks from my parking spot each day and was working with a co-worker and employer who totally didn't get chronic pain. Not only was I dealing with chronic pain but with a co-worker who was threatened by me and was sabatoging me.

Another mistake I made was telling my employer that I was looking for a job where I would be off my feet. My boss eventually offered me a serverance package. It took care of things for a while when I was off from work, but eventually I have to find another way of earning money. I am lucky that I have support from my family and friends in my recovery. My husband may have found a way for me to earn money while I am still at home recovering. Looking back on things now, maybe I should have filed workman's comp. But that is a dead issue.

My original poditrist seem helpful at first, but I think she became frustrated with me when I became chronic. She was not supportive about giving me a handicap permit or recommending restrictions at my job. My PT was also helpful at the start, but felt after a few months of no progress that she couldn't do anything more for me. I feel very lucky to have been treated by Dr. Z.

The good part of my story is that I won the Orbasone lotto and got ESWT from Dr. Z. I have had two visits, 3 treatments total, and had my first level 1 pain day a few weeks ago. Overall my pain level has decreased significantly and I am off pain meds now for the most part, ( I still take some Advil on level 4 pain days.) I can see from charting my pain level progress that I am improving and am hoping that I will be in full remission in a few more months. Hopefully this story will help other who have PF to advocate for themselves with their employer and their doctors to get the help they need.

The moral of the story is to listen to yourself when you are in pain, get off your feet pronto and to work things out with your employer before you have to find another job. Don't be afraid of filing workman's comp. if your job is the reason why you have PF. I hope this helps someone.

Re: My horror story, with my good news, long

Beverle S. on 5/27/01 at hrmin (049075)

I'm glad you are having success. I, too, have painful feet. I just found these pages today so I have hope that I will be able to recover. I have my own business and walk many miles every day on concrete. You can't file for workman's comp when you are the boss.

ckellyhouc@aol.com on 6/06/01 at hrmin (050080)

Hi,

I'm happy for you:-) How long between beginning of PF and your ESWT Treatment? I just had treatment by Dr. Z's office as well.

Best,
Cindy K H

Beverle S. on 5/27/01 at hrmin (049075)

I'm glad you are having success. I, too, have painful feet. I just found these pages today so I have hope that I will be able to recover. I have my own business and walk many miles every day on concrete. You can't file for workman's comp when you are the boss.

ckellyhouc@aol.com on 6/06/01 at hrmin (050080)

Hi,

I'm happy for you:-) How long between beginning of PF and your ESWT Treatment? I just had treatment by Dr. Z's office as well.

Best,
Cindy K H