Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long?

Posted by Tammie on 5/18/01 at 20:13 (048241)

I have a general sort of question for the Dr.s, I am just curious as I have been getting very mixed opinions from Drs and Nurses and people in general! I just wondered with a person who has the pf and spur removal surgery ,what is aprox. the normal time before they can return to work? I know Jobs are different so can u tell me like for the nursing profession? I know it cant be a exact as you would not know the treatment or recovery process but just a general estimate? No one ever gives even a darn estimate anymore lol. I am ready to go to work, my foot is not,but I just want to know if we are talking weeks or months or years? I would thank you so verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy much!!!! Every one has a different thought as to what is the normal and I get tired of trying to explain to coworkers when they say it has been 4 weeks now u know lol. God I know how long it has been I do not need reminded. I seen my dr. yesterday we did not talk about returning to work, I do not see him again for 6 weeks, but he is pleased with the healing but tells me I am expecting to much to fast, as it takes time and that I am not listening to my body, the pains I am feeling is my feet telling me to please rest and take it more easy. He says there is still swelling and some scar tissue a hardness around incision and under but told me to start massaging in another 2 weeks? He figures about 70% recovered? He told me to get a ankle support I bought the futuro one which is giving me grief, It makes my foot tingle and hurt like it does at night time, also makes it feel like it is throbbing I cant stand it I took it off as was driving me crazy,he seemed to think that the night pains is all related to the surgery healing, maybe so I dont have the degree. I am wary tho.I would like to return to work in minimal of 2 more weeks am I realistic? And since I dont see him for 6 more How will I decide if I am healed enough to not do any more damage? I am very dense and I would love some guidelines? I will be on my feet constantly for 8 to 10 hrs on concrete floors and I will be lifting people allot with 30 min lunch and 2 ten min breaks if we have the time lol. I just want to be sure I am ready to go back as to not go backwards.And if this is left for me Well I am a very impatient person,as I already go to work and volunteer for a few hours once or twice a week ,(I try not to walk to much tho lol)Please any advice is deeply apreciated as I cannot trust my own judgement any more,as everyone has told me I have none ! Thanks I know u cant tell me exactly just a few common sense things? And what I should expect as a normal time frame?

Re: How long?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/19/01 at 07:20 (048255)

With the mininial incision heel spur operation about two months. With the open up to four to six months Now we are talking about your type of job on your feet 8-10 hours. I like to see patients much sooner to examine and determine if the foot is ready to go back to work. Have him examine you before you go back.

Julie on 5/19/01 at 12:35 (048283)

Tammie, your doctor told you all the things you don't like to hear - you're expecting too much too soon, listen to your body, etc... but he is right. Your body will tell you (if you listen!) when it's time to go back to work. If you go back too soon you could easily have a setback and have to stay off again. So Please Be Patient.

Laurie R on 5/19/01 at 13:07 (048285)

MS Taamy, First of all my friend you are not dence...... Second of all I think you have very good judgement,your hear asking questions for yourself. Don't let anyone put you down.... you are a wonderful person and very compassionate. My advice , don't rush going back to work. I unserstand you miss your patients , but you are not going to do them any good or yourself any good if you damage your foot by going back to soon...

So hang in there ... Oh by the way ,I can not wear the ankle brace either ,my foot swells and it gets so painful..... Try using a ace bandage. I wear one everyday with my walking cast. If it gets to tight I jsut rewrap it ....

Your friend , Laurie

Laurie R on 5/19/01 at 13:08 (048287)

Tammy ,I'm so sorry fo rthe spelling of your name. I ment to spell it Tammy , not Taamy...My dyslexia again sorry...*~* Laurie R

Tammie on 5/19/01 at 17:11 (048308)

Hello again,
Thanks to all of you! You are great for taking time to answer me I really apreciate it as Yes I do need to be told what to expect as sorry but I cannot hear my body talk lol. I really do not want to do my foot more harm really I dont and I will try to be patient but my leave was approved for 2 more weeks then I would have to have it extended by the Dr. I have been off 4 weeks thru all this stuff and they gave a estimate to my insurance for 6 weeks. I didnt know if the dr. just wanted me to return to work with out him seeing me again or if he assumed I would be off till he seen me in 6 weeks(which I doubt) . He did tell me if I had any problems to call. He is going on vacation actually he left yesterday. He was in a good mood lol! I just worry as I figure if I cannot walk in mall more then a short time or that I cannot when I volunteer for a couple of hours and I mostly sit and feed people and minimal walking , without pain ,how am I going to work for 8 to 10 hrs . So see I am questioning myself? Progress hehe? I really miss work , But I do know I want to give this surgery a good chance as my feet are more important then I had known , I will see at the end of the 2 and see if foot is better that is 2 more weeks and allot can happen !!!!

Julie on 5/20/01 at 04:19 (048329)

Ah, but dear Tammy, you CAN 'hear your body talk', or, rather, feel how it feels. Because when your feet hurt, you know it, don't you? And while they hurt, going back to a standing job for 8-10 hours a day is not an option. They will hurt more, and you will feel it. I do hope the doctor doesn't rush you. I can't remember what kind of surgery you had, but I know Dr Z has just told you - with minimal incision 2 months, with open procedure 4-6 months. Not having had foot surgery of any kind I don't know from experience, but I'd guess that your pain will slowly recede over that time, as long as you rest your feet as much as possible, and that you won't notice any miraculous leaps forward.

When I had mastectomy surgery, the pain from the incision and muscle bruising took about two months to go, gradually, little by little (nerve-damage pain took much longer) - and I wasn't walking on my chest.

All the best, Julie

Re: How long?Yes Julie

Tammie on 5/20/01 at 13:52 (048375)

Ouch Julie , Yes I cannot hear but I can feelllllll! I learned this the hard way!!!!! And yes Dr. Z was very nice to at least give me a figure to work with!!!I am grateful, as then if it is not feeling better I understand that this is well in the time of normal healing! I had the minimal incision for Pf and Heel spur removal. I am proud of myself lol as I sat in the mall the other day watching people and looking at there feet ,deciding that there are manyy people with foot problems!!! How come I never noticed this before? My daughter and sons girlfriend shopped while the mother sat and people watched untill they found stuff and drug me there lol. Those kids sure can go! I will be back to there speed soon I warned them !! I just had to not go like my normal and as far.I new right there and then my foot is not ready for a full day of anything,and my hubby says I walk to slow now I used to out do him now he outdoes me!!! And remember he has R arthritis and his hips and knees are bad. I will soon be back but I will try to take it a bit slower! The Dr. said the nerves in foot have to regenerate or something? Is that what u might mean about nerves.Julie you must be a very brave and strong woman, to have gone threw so much in your life! And yet here you are supporting us all with love and care!!! Hugs to u and hope you have a sunshine day!

Re: How long? to Tammie

Julie on 5/20/01 at 15:22 (048388)

Hi Tammie

Nerves are funny things. One of mine (the 2nd thoracic nerve, that supplies the armpit, underarm and chest) was cut and will never regenerate, so I'm numb in all those areas. I've got used to it and it doesn't worry me or stop me doing anything I want to do. But it gave me quite a bit of pain for at least a year, and it still 'twitches' now and then. I would imagine that in all surgeries, nerves sustain some damage because they are bumped into during the digging around that goes on (a very unscientific description, I know: it's just how I imagine it!) And of course any muscles that are cut take a long time to heal. All this is going on beneath the surface - it's not just the incision that has to heal.

I don't think I am especially brave or strong. I did learn a great deal from having cancer, though. Amongst other things, I learned what my real priorities are, and I learned that I'm not immortal. I think every experience we're given contains a lesson, and that our job is to discover what the lesson is and learn it, so that we can move on, and use whatever we've learned to help others. I think heelspurs.com is a great illustration of this.

I DID have a sunny day, thank you - one of the very few in the last year or so. We really appreciate them now when we get them. This year in England has been the wettest since records began in 1745.

All the best, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/19/01 at 07:20 (048255)

With the mininial incision heel spur operation about two months. With the open up to four to six months Now we are talking about your type of job on your feet 8-10 hours. I like to see patients much sooner to examine and determine if the foot is ready to go back to work. Have him examine you before you go back.

Julie on 5/19/01 at 12:35 (048283)

Tammie, your doctor told you all the things you don't like to hear - you're expecting too much too soon, listen to your body, etc... but he is right. Your body will tell you (if you listen!) when it's time to go back to work. If you go back too soon you could easily have a setback and have to stay off again. So Please Be Patient.

Laurie R on 5/19/01 at 13:07 (048285)

MS Taamy, First of all my friend you are not dence...... Second of all I think you have very good judgement,your hear asking questions for yourself. Don't let anyone put you down.... you are a wonderful person and very compassionate. My advice , don't rush going back to work. I unserstand you miss your patients , but you are not going to do them any good or yourself any good if you damage your foot by going back to soon...

So hang in there ... Oh by the way ,I can not wear the ankle brace either ,my foot swells and it gets so painful..... Try using a ace bandage. I wear one everyday with my walking cast. If it gets to tight I jsut rewrap it ....

Your friend , Laurie

Laurie R on 5/19/01 at 13:08 (048287)

Tammy ,I'm so sorry fo rthe spelling of your name. I ment to spell it Tammy , not Taamy...My dyslexia again sorry...*~* Laurie R

Tammie on 5/19/01 at 17:11 (048308)

Hello again,
Thanks to all of you! You are great for taking time to answer me I really apreciate it as Yes I do need to be told what to expect as sorry but I cannot hear my body talk lol. I really do not want to do my foot more harm really I dont and I will try to be patient but my leave was approved for 2 more weeks then I would have to have it extended by the Dr. I have been off 4 weeks thru all this stuff and they gave a estimate to my insurance for 6 weeks. I didnt know if the dr. just wanted me to return to work with out him seeing me again or if he assumed I would be off till he seen me in 6 weeks(which I doubt) . He did tell me if I had any problems to call. He is going on vacation actually he left yesterday. He was in a good mood lol! I just worry as I figure if I cannot walk in mall more then a short time or that I cannot when I volunteer for a couple of hours and I mostly sit and feed people and minimal walking , without pain ,how am I going to work for 8 to 10 hrs . So see I am questioning myself? Progress hehe? I really miss work , But I do know I want to give this surgery a good chance as my feet are more important then I had known , I will see at the end of the 2 and see if foot is better that is 2 more weeks and allot can happen !!!!

Julie on 5/20/01 at 04:19 (048329)

Ah, but dear Tammy, you CAN 'hear your body talk', or, rather, feel how it feels. Because when your feet hurt, you know it, don't you? And while they hurt, going back to a standing job for 8-10 hours a day is not an option. They will hurt more, and you will feel it. I do hope the doctor doesn't rush you. I can't remember what kind of surgery you had, but I know Dr Z has just told you - with minimal incision 2 months, with open procedure 4-6 months. Not having had foot surgery of any kind I don't know from experience, but I'd guess that your pain will slowly recede over that time, as long as you rest your feet as much as possible, and that you won't notice any miraculous leaps forward.

When I had mastectomy surgery, the pain from the incision and muscle bruising took about two months to go, gradually, little by little (nerve-damage pain took much longer) - and I wasn't walking on my chest.

All the best, Julie

Re: How long?Yes Julie

Tammie on 5/20/01 at 13:52 (048375)

Ouch Julie , Yes I cannot hear but I can feelllllll! I learned this the hard way!!!!! And yes Dr. Z was very nice to at least give me a figure to work with!!!I am grateful, as then if it is not feeling better I understand that this is well in the time of normal healing! I had the minimal incision for Pf and Heel spur removal. I am proud of myself lol as I sat in the mall the other day watching people and looking at there feet ,deciding that there are manyy people with foot problems!!! How come I never noticed this before? My daughter and sons girlfriend shopped while the mother sat and people watched untill they found stuff and drug me there lol. Those kids sure can go! I will be back to there speed soon I warned them !! I just had to not go like my normal and as far.I new right there and then my foot is not ready for a full day of anything,and my hubby says I walk to slow now I used to out do him now he outdoes me!!! And remember he has R arthritis and his hips and knees are bad. I will soon be back but I will try to take it a bit slower! The Dr. said the nerves in foot have to regenerate or something? Is that what u might mean about nerves.Julie you must be a very brave and strong woman, to have gone threw so much in your life! And yet here you are supporting us all with love and care!!! Hugs to u and hope you have a sunshine day!

Re: How long? to Tammie

Julie on 5/20/01 at 15:22 (048388)

Hi Tammie

Nerves are funny things. One of mine (the 2nd thoracic nerve, that supplies the armpit, underarm and chest) was cut and will never regenerate, so I'm numb in all those areas. I've got used to it and it doesn't worry me or stop me doing anything I want to do. But it gave me quite a bit of pain for at least a year, and it still 'twitches' now and then. I would imagine that in all surgeries, nerves sustain some damage because they are bumped into during the digging around that goes on (a very unscientific description, I know: it's just how I imagine it!) And of course any muscles that are cut take a long time to heal. All this is going on beneath the surface - it's not just the incision that has to heal.

I don't think I am especially brave or strong. I did learn a great deal from having cancer, though. Amongst other things, I learned what my real priorities are, and I learned that I'm not immortal. I think every experience we're given contains a lesson, and that our job is to discover what the lesson is and learn it, so that we can move on, and use whatever we've learned to help others. I think heelspurs.com is a great illustration of this.

I DID have a sunny day, thank you - one of the very few in the last year or so. We really appreciate them now when we get them. This year in England has been the wettest since records began in 1745.

All the best, Julie