Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My problem

Posted by Bill on 5/19/01 at hrmin (048261)

I recently stumbled upon this web site in my continuing search to help me deal with my ankle problem. I have now suffered for 10 long years with burning pain, electric needles, muscle atrophy of my left ankle. I can only wear one pair of old rotten loafers, all other footwear drives my crazy. I have worn orthotics, braces, bandages etc. but continue to suffer. I have seen doctors who look at me like I am crazy or looking for pain medication (which I am not). I have been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel, then told I did not have it because the emg was not consistent with it. I have become depressed and now take medication. I have to work on my feet all day long and wonder every night how I can do this again tomorrow. While receiving chemotherapy for leukemia 4 years ago I would lie in my bed wishing my ankle did not hurt. I wish I could solve this problem

Re: My problem

Pauline on 5/19/01 at 08:38 (048262)

Bill,
I am no doctor and I don't know all the ends and outs of the various doctors you have visited, but if I were you I'd make an appointment at a large medical center (maybe Mayo) or one like it closer to your home and begin with a complete physical. Let them go from top to bottom to try and figure out the exact cause for your pain. Sometimes when you are in so much pain, frustrated and given up, it's time to seek the help of a center that will provide you with several different staff members (physicians) that will work together to solve your problem. A place like Mayo can run you through all the necessary exams and needed tests in about 2 days. Hopefully they or a similar group can provide you with some very needed answers. I'll add you to my prayer list and hope you find the help you deserve. P.S. I do not work for Mayo, but I think they do a pretty good job.

wendyn on 5/19/01 at 11:16 (048279)

Bill - if you can afford it, Pauline's suggestion is probably a good one. Do you only have problems with the one foot?

There are a number of us who have been told that we have TTS - but the nerve conduction test comes out normal...take it with a grain of salt.

TTS basically is a collection of symptoms - but what causes the problem can be different in different people.

Did you ever hurt your ankle? How did it start?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/19/01 at 18:51 (048314)

Great idea. There are special neuropathy pain clinics that may be helpful

Bill on 5/20/01 at 19:24 (048413)

Thanks for the reply and the support. To reply to your questions, I have TTS thankfully only in the left. It began after a slight sprain after stepping/tripping on a large cable at work. (workman's comp claim laughed at) Before it totally healed I had a severe sprain while playing hockey. A couple of doctors have told me that I have reflex sympothetic dystrophy in that area because the skin around my ankle is so sensitive, I can't tolerate anything touching it especially sneakers with their rolled padding that goes around the opening. They drive me crazy.

I noticed the post about immobilization. I wore an immobilizer for 2 months, 23 hours per day. It irritated my medial malleolus as much or worse as sneakers and I had 0 improvement of symptoms.

Pauline on 5/19/01 at 08:38 (048262)

Bill,
I am no doctor and I don't know all the ends and outs of the various doctors you have visited, but if I were you I'd make an appointment at a large medical center (maybe Mayo) or one like it closer to your home and begin with a complete physical. Let them go from top to bottom to try and figure out the exact cause for your pain. Sometimes when you are in so much pain, frustrated and given up, it's time to seek the help of a center that will provide you with several different staff members (physicians) that will work together to solve your problem. A place like Mayo can run you through all the necessary exams and needed tests in about 2 days. Hopefully they or a similar group can provide you with some very needed answers. I'll add you to my prayer list and hope you find the help you deserve. P.S. I do not work for Mayo, but I think they do a pretty good job.

wendyn on 5/19/01 at 11:16 (048279)

Bill - if you can afford it, Pauline's suggestion is probably a good one. Do you only have problems with the one foot?

There are a number of us who have been told that we have TTS - but the nerve conduction test comes out normal...take it with a grain of salt.

TTS basically is a collection of symptoms - but what causes the problem can be different in different people.

Did you ever hurt your ankle? How did it start?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/19/01 at 18:51 (048314)

Great idea. There are special neuropathy pain clinics that may be helpful

Bill on 5/20/01 at 19:24 (048413)

Thanks for the reply and the support. To reply to your questions, I have TTS thankfully only in the left. It began after a slight sprain after stepping/tripping on a large cable at work. (workman's comp claim laughed at) Before it totally healed I had a severe sprain while playing hockey. A couple of doctors have told me that I have reflex sympothetic dystrophy in that area because the skin around my ankle is so sensitive, I can't tolerate anything touching it especially sneakers with their rolled padding that goes around the opening. They drive me crazy.

I noticed the post about immobilization. I wore an immobilizer for 2 months, 23 hours per day. It irritated my medial malleolus as much or worse as sneakers and I had 0 improvement of symptoms.