Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Blood clotting disorders and heel pain.

Posted by Barb K on 5/19/01 at 13:08 (048286)

I have had heel pain, more toward the sides and back of the sole of the heel, for about 14 years. The only treatment that significantly helped has been physical therapy where some type of metal knob-like device was placed into contact with the skin and some kind of current run through it. Of course, the relief did not last very long and it was not total relief anyway. By the way, after having a foot fracture four years ago, my heels improved dramatically, and I am assuming that was from being off my feet for so long.

I have had several episodes of DVTs since first having heel problems and now have a lot of obvious veins on both sides below the ankles right above the heels and not extending into the sole of the heel. I have had several small ulcers below the calf level on the right leg and both legs are discolored brown below the calf and above the ankle area.

Before I had the physical therapy, my doctor found a loss of range of motion, and that improved about 10 degrees following physical therapy. The heel pad is thin and has been like this my entire life.

In the past, I have been on Celebrex, have had a variety of shoe orthotics, change in shoe styles, have done a variety of stretching and excercies, etc., and nothing has worked completely. The last x-ray of my right foot now shows a heel spur.

My question is how much of this, if any, is being caused by the blood clotting disorder I have that caused the DVTs. I was on anticoagulants for a long time and they did not help the discomfort.

Re: Blood clotting disorders and heel pain.

Dr. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 06:53 (048337)

I am not familar with a blood clotting disorder causing heel pain. The area at the out side and back of the heel is where the Haglunds deformity ( a bony bump ) can cause pain. If you do have a very thin fat pad, this could be a major cause of your heel pain. If this is the case, orthotics made to balance and disapate the pressure durring heel strike and extra cushioning should help. Dr. B.

Re: Blood clotting disorders and heel pain.

Dr. Biehler on 5/20/01 at 06:53 (048337)

I am not familar with a blood clotting disorder causing heel pain. The area at the out side and back of the heel is where the Haglunds deformity ( a bony bump ) can cause pain. If you do have a very thin fat pad, this could be a major cause of your heel pain. If this is the case, orthotics made to balance and disapate the pressure durring heel strike and extra cushioning should help. Dr. B.