Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion surgery and Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Sandy P on 5/20/01 at 13:38 (048374)

I had right-foot bunion/hammertoe surgery 11 months ago and thought I was healing well. Dr. dismissed me 1-2 mos after surgery and said I would do fine on my own. However, I did not receive pt, and I have myasthenia gravis, which weakens my limbs, feet, hands. (Dr. was aware of this.)

Noticed recently that right big toe does not have good range of motion, and pain has developed in that joint and it is hard to bend toe without experiencing pain as I walk.

1. Can scar tissue from the bunion surgery affect the big toe joint? What else might cause the symptoms? What is treatment?

Second issue involves left foot pain radiating out into 3 middle toes as I walk. Cannot put pressure on ball of foot or bend toes upwards without pain as I walk.

2. If it is Morton's neuroma, what are options to cure this condition? What else could cause these symptoms?

I am receiving x-ray results this Weds, and then my cousin, a podiatrist from Boston, who is attending a med seminar here next weekend, will give his opinion on the x-rays/symptoms.

Any info you can share (that I should be aware of before I speak with these drs) would be most helpful.
Thank you.

Re: Bunion surgery and Morton's Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/20/01 at 15:27 (048391)

May need orthosis for the pain in the ball of the left foot. May need to evaluate your shoe gear. I like the injections of Alchol for neuroma before steriod injections. Can give more and they really do help. This could also be something as simple as proper shoe with metatarsal padding.

Let us know what they say and your findings. What is your cousin's name. Maybe he would like to join the heelspurs.com group of doctors.

Re: Bunion surgery and Morton's Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/20/01 at 15:27 (048391)

May need orthosis for the pain in the ball of the left foot. May need to evaluate your shoe gear. I like the injections of Alchol for neuroma before steriod injections. Can give more and they really do help. This could also be something as simple as proper shoe with metatarsal padding.

Let us know what they say and your findings. What is your cousin's name. Maybe he would like to join the heelspurs.com group of doctors.