Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Julie - Orthotics while you wait in London

Posted by Donna SL on 5/20/01 at 14:04 (048376)

Hi Julie,

I saw a physio place called Portland Physiotherapy on the web at Regents Park in London that seemed interesting. They have a pod there that makes his own orthotics while you wait. They call it the foot factor. I was wondering if you ever heard of this place and/or the pod. He seems to take the rest of the body into consideration when making the orthotics. I'm not sure about their casting methods though.

Below is link to the main page, then click on Foot Factor

http://www.portlandphysio.co.uk/index2.html

Or to go directly to the orthotic part

http://www.portlandphysio.co.uk/foot/ff_1.html

If I find any more I'll let you know.

Donna

Re: For Julie - Orthotics while you wait in London

Julie on 5/20/01 at 15:25 (048390)

Hi Donna

Thanks. No, I haven't heard of them, but I'll look into the website whose link you've given. I'm sorted as far as orthotics go - am, luckily, very happy with the ones my pod casted and had made in the States. But it might be the answer for you. When are you emigrating, or isn't that decided yet?

Donna SL on 5/20/01 at 16:20 (048400)

Hi Julie,

My husband wants to move back within the year. He had his resume (CV) out to just get a feel for the job market there, but he just recently told me he has a phone screen with a company in the UK on Monday. He's thinking if they hire him, it will be in the next 6 weeks, and I said he'll have to go himself. Ha Ha. I'm not ready to go yet, and need 6 months to a year to plan such a major move. I'm just starting to feel really good with the work I'm doing with my chiro, and the ART. Since they don't do active release therapy in the UK, I would need to find someone who practices myofacsial release. I also have tons of other things to do before we leave. He thinks we should just keep our current apartment in the states, and just pick up and leave, and go to the UK, and come back later for everything once were settled. I spent time on the web this morning to get a feel for the UK real estate market.

I'll know more next week, but I hope they don't make him an offer, or he doesn't accept one, because I'm not ready to go anywhere yet. If I really insist he won't go untill I'm ready.

Donna

bg cped on 5/20/01 at 16:21 (048401)

They are using a wt bearing, direct heat mold to the foot. It is probably a sidas system used in many ski shops. Sometimes it can be used non wt bearing. They do make them fast which is good. Did you know I have a trademark on the phrase 'orthotics in an hour'

Re: For BG Re: For Julie - Orthotics while you wait in London

Donna SL on 5/20/01 at 16:58 (048403)

Bg,

I'm glad you looked at the site. Are you saying that this is a good method? I know it's tough to tell from a website, but I'm wondering if you think they look like an ok operation? Does that kind of system provide quality orthotics? (especially for someone like me who has a cavus foot). They mentioned semi wt bearing molds too.

I'll be moving to the UK maybe within the year, and I'm trying to get an idea of who deals with orthotics there. I haven't seen any cpeds in the UK so far. I've done a search, and have seen a lot of orthotist in the UK, but I don't know if they get involved with foot orthotics, and make them personally.

I need someone who can at least adjust them in their office. I haven't seen to many orthotic labs in the UK so far, other than Langer UK, and one called RX laboratories owned by this guy Ray Anthony who is always writing to the UK podiatry mail base. I'd rather deal with someone who makes the orthotics themself.

Julie on 5/21/01 at 02:36 (048430)

Hi Donna

I hope you and your husband don't fall out over this! And that your move to the UK goes smoothly for both of you. Accommodation-wise, if you're planning to buy a house or flat, I should think the longer you wait the better: prices have reached an all-time high and are expected to drop as we follow you guys into recession. A good argument for you to use, if he does get or accept that offer.

I have a vague memory of having heard somewhere, probably on the board (and perhaps from you) that ART is similar to rolfing, which is certainly practised here.

Langer Biomechanics are, as far as I know, the main/biggest makers of orthotics here. My first pair, six years ago, was casted by my then-pod, and made by them, and they felt and seemed fine, though they didn't stop me getting PF. However, I had them for seven years,and I'm sure my feet had changed. My new pair was casted by my current pod, who told me that he had given Langer up because he wasn't happy with their work, and who sends the casts to the States for the inserts to be made. I was very hesitant and I don't know what would have happened had they needed adjusting, but fortunately they didn't, and I'm happy with them. This is a roundabout way of telling you that there is no point in my asking my pod for information on getting orthotics made here!

Julie

Donna SL on 5/21/01 at 05:47 (048434)

Good morning Julie,

Just out of curiosity do you know what lab your pod used in the states? Does he have any equipment to do spot adjustments?

I'm hoping I'll get to the point where I don't need much more than an accomadative type orthotic. The last few weeks I've just been wearing OTC spencos with some lateral wedging in the shoes, I have to use tape with them though which I don't have to do with custom orthotics. I'm waiting for yet another pair of orthotics from my pod. I was suprised, but my feet have been feeling pretty good with the spenco/ tape combo, if I have the right shoe on. I'd like to get out of having to wear orthotics if I could. That's my pods goal too. He thinks after I heal the less restricton the better. I haven't been able to use an OTC in over 5 years even with tape, so I must be improving. I have some minor discomfort, but I'm hoping I'll end up just needing a cushioned orthotic with some mild forefoot accomadations, and some slight lateral support. But I need to have someone just in case to make custom ones for me. The tape starts to bother me after a couple of hours.

I do have to be in well cushioned athletic shoes the majority of the time. I can wear flat dress shoes for short periods. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I seemed to get a lot of stares in my sneakers. Especially in the fancier neigborhoods like Chelsea, and also from the real estate agents, when we were looking at properties last summer.

I didn't notice nearly as many people wearing sneakers like they do in the states. I swear one of the sales clerks in a store in Chelsea said to me that it's not fashionable to wear trainers for everyday steetwear except for the young kids, and fashion comes before comfort. I told my husband if they were that snobby, then I didn't want to live there. We were even refused entrance into the Ritz hotel in the afternoon to just walk through the lobby, because we had trainers, and jeans on. Years ago we didn't have that problem. My husband said I shouldn't let it bother me, and not care what other people think. I'm not a shallow person, but it was bothersome after a while, when so many people kept glancing at my shoes. This didn't happen as often in busy areas like on Regent, or Oxford street, unless we went into some of the smaller speciality stores there. I felt like screaming out I have bad feet.

As far as the ART my chiro said myofascial release is the most similar and he does that in addition. I don't think ART is like rolfing, but I'll ask him again when I see him later today.

I noticed the prices in the UK were very high last year, but I remember the real estate agents saying that they would be coming down. We would probably have to rent something first, and the rents seem to be higher, because not many people are buying. We're looking to live in Central London, and the prices are still very expensive as you said, but not nearly as bad as San Francisco. It still seems like you need at least 3/4 to a million dollars to buy a decent size place in London. Was it that high a few years ago?

I know I'm getting off the orthotic/shoes topics, so if I have any future UK questions I'll try to write them on the social board.

Donna

Julie on 5/21/01 at 06:12 (048435)

Hi Donna

The label on my orthotics says 'C-1 One'. Anyone you know? And no, my pod doesn't do adjustments to the structure, only to the cushioning bit on top. I think he trusts his casting skill, and his American makers, completely, which is why I was apprehensive after all I'd read on this board, but it turned out fine.

Maybe it was your imagination, in some cases at least. I wear Adidas trainers ALL the time, and am either unconscious of 'looks' or don't get them. I'm sure it's the latter, as I'm a pretty observant person - but on the other hand, like your husband, I don't care what people think and my comfort is my priority.I've never worn fashion shoes, and even the trusty old Eccos that I wore for years feel very unsupportive now: I can't wear them.

London is a good deal more laid back than it used to be, so don't worry. If you want to frequent places like the Ritz, and uppity Chelsea shops, I expect you will get a few raised eyebrows, but you won't run into it normally.

House prices have gone through the roof in the last few years. If you want to live in central London, you'll need a lot more than 3/4 of a million dollars - or pounds for that matter. Even out here in Blackheath/Greenwich, prices for good sized detached houses are edging the million mark. They are much higher in Chelsea, Westminster, Islington,.Hampstead, Maida Vale, etc. Last year everyone was saying prices would come down, but they haven't yet, which is why I think you'd be well advised to wait a bit before moving: you don't want to buy at the height of the market.

I should probably have posted this on the SS board. Oh Well. Yes - let's put future London topics there.

All the best

Julie

Donna SL on 5/21/01 at 13:17 (048472)

Hi Julie,

I wrote a reply to you on the social support board.

Donna

The Foot Fixer on 7/16/01 at 10:01 (053341)

The guy that you were discussing at the Portland physio practice does not have any Podiatry qulaifications and is not registered with any of the certification boards here in the UK.

Donna SL on 7/16/01 at 13:40 (053362)

Hi Foot Fixer,

That very interesting. Are you talking about Norbert Cauvas who makes the orthotics? It's unclear if he is actually a podiatrist or not. He may be very good at making orthotics though. Some of the best - most qualified podiatrist are not necessarily good at making orthotics. I haven't found any yet. He may be similiar to a Cped in the U.S.

Are you in the UK? I curious what your background is?

Donna

Julie on 5/20/01 at 15:25 (048390)

Hi Donna

Thanks. No, I haven't heard of them, but I'll look into the website whose link you've given. I'm sorted as far as orthotics go - am, luckily, very happy with the ones my pod casted and had made in the States. But it might be the answer for you. When are you emigrating, or isn't that decided yet?

Donna SL on 5/20/01 at 16:20 (048400)

Hi Julie,

My husband wants to move back within the year. He had his resume (CV) out to just get a feel for the job market there, but he just recently told me he has a phone screen with a company in the UK on Monday. He's thinking if they hire him, it will be in the next 6 weeks, and I said he'll have to go himself. Ha Ha. I'm not ready to go yet, and need 6 months to a year to plan such a major move. I'm just starting to feel really good with the work I'm doing with my chiro, and the ART. Since they don't do active release therapy in the UK, I would need to find someone who practices myofacsial release. I also have tons of other things to do before we leave. He thinks we should just keep our current apartment in the states, and just pick up and leave, and go to the UK, and come back later for everything once were settled. I spent time on the web this morning to get a feel for the UK real estate market.

I'll know more next week, but I hope they don't make him an offer, or he doesn't accept one, because I'm not ready to go anywhere yet. If I really insist he won't go untill I'm ready.

Donna

bg cped on 5/20/01 at 16:21 (048401)

They are using a wt bearing, direct heat mold to the foot. It is probably a sidas system used in many ski shops. Sometimes it can be used non wt bearing. They do make them fast which is good. Did you know I have a trademark on the phrase 'orthotics in an hour'

Donna SL on 5/20/01 at 16:58 (048403)

Bg,

I'm glad you looked at the site. Are you saying that this is a good method? I know it's tough to tell from a website, but I'm wondering if you think they look like an ok operation? Does that kind of system provide quality orthotics? (especially for someone like me who has a cavus foot). They mentioned semi wt bearing molds too.

I'll be moving to the UK maybe within the year, and I'm trying to get an idea of who deals with orthotics there. I haven't seen any cpeds in the UK so far. I've done a search, and have seen a lot of orthotist in the UK, but I don't know if they get involved with foot orthotics, and make them personally.

I need someone who can at least adjust them in their office. I haven't seen to many orthotic labs in the UK so far, other than Langer UK, and one called RX laboratories owned by this guy Ray Anthony who is always writing to the UK podiatry mail base. I'd rather deal with someone who makes the orthotics themself.

Julie on 5/21/01 at 02:36 (048430)

Hi Donna

I hope you and your husband don't fall out over this! And that your move to the UK goes smoothly for both of you. Accommodation-wise, if you're planning to buy a house or flat, I should think the longer you wait the better: prices have reached an all-time high and are expected to drop as we follow you guys into recession. A good argument for you to use, if he does get or accept that offer.

I have a vague memory of having heard somewhere, probably on the board (and perhaps from you) that ART is similar to rolfing, which is certainly practised here.

Langer Biomechanics are, as far as I know, the main/biggest makers of orthotics here. My first pair, six years ago, was casted by my then-pod, and made by them, and they felt and seemed fine, though they didn't stop me getting PF. However, I had them for seven years,and I'm sure my feet had changed. My new pair was casted by my current pod, who told me that he had given Langer up because he wasn't happy with their work, and who sends the casts to the States for the inserts to be made. I was very hesitant and I don't know what would have happened had they needed adjusting, but fortunately they didn't, and I'm happy with them. This is a roundabout way of telling you that there is no point in my asking my pod for information on getting orthotics made here!

Julie

Donna SL on 5/21/01 at 05:47 (048434)

Good morning Julie,

Just out of curiosity do you know what lab your pod used in the states? Does he have any equipment to do spot adjustments?

I'm hoping I'll get to the point where I don't need much more than an accomadative type orthotic. The last few weeks I've just been wearing OTC spencos with some lateral wedging in the shoes, I have to use tape with them though which I don't have to do with custom orthotics. I'm waiting for yet another pair of orthotics from my pod. I was suprised, but my feet have been feeling pretty good with the spenco/ tape combo, if I have the right shoe on. I'd like to get out of having to wear orthotics if I could. That's my pods goal too. He thinks after I heal the less restricton the better. I haven't been able to use an OTC in over 5 years even with tape, so I must be improving. I have some minor discomfort, but I'm hoping I'll end up just needing a cushioned orthotic with some mild forefoot accomadations, and some slight lateral support. But I need to have someone just in case to make custom ones for me. The tape starts to bother me after a couple of hours.

I do have to be in well cushioned athletic shoes the majority of the time. I can wear flat dress shoes for short periods. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I seemed to get a lot of stares in my sneakers. Especially in the fancier neigborhoods like Chelsea, and also from the real estate agents, when we were looking at properties last summer.

I didn't notice nearly as many people wearing sneakers like they do in the states. I swear one of the sales clerks in a store in Chelsea said to me that it's not fashionable to wear trainers for everyday steetwear except for the young kids, and fashion comes before comfort. I told my husband if they were that snobby, then I didn't want to live there. We were even refused entrance into the Ritz hotel in the afternoon to just walk through the lobby, because we had trainers, and jeans on. Years ago we didn't have that problem. My husband said I shouldn't let it bother me, and not care what other people think. I'm not a shallow person, but it was bothersome after a while, when so many people kept glancing at my shoes. This didn't happen as often in busy areas like on Regent, or Oxford street, unless we went into some of the smaller speciality stores there. I felt like screaming out I have bad feet.

As far as the ART my chiro said myofascial release is the most similar and he does that in addition. I don't think ART is like rolfing, but I'll ask him again when I see him later today.

I noticed the prices in the UK were very high last year, but I remember the real estate agents saying that they would be coming down. We would probably have to rent something first, and the rents seem to be higher, because not many people are buying. We're looking to live in Central London, and the prices are still very expensive as you said, but not nearly as bad as San Francisco. It still seems like you need at least 3/4 to a million dollars to buy a decent size place in London. Was it that high a few years ago?

I know I'm getting off the orthotic/shoes topics, so if I have any future UK questions I'll try to write them on the social board.

Donna

Julie on 5/21/01 at 06:12 (048435)

Hi Donna

The label on my orthotics says 'C-1 One'. Anyone you know? And no, my pod doesn't do adjustments to the structure, only to the cushioning bit on top. I think he trusts his casting skill, and his American makers, completely, which is why I was apprehensive after all I'd read on this board, but it turned out fine.

Maybe it was your imagination, in some cases at least. I wear Adidas trainers ALL the time, and am either unconscious of 'looks' or don't get them. I'm sure it's the latter, as I'm a pretty observant person - but on the other hand, like your husband, I don't care what people think and my comfort is my priority.I've never worn fashion shoes, and even the trusty old Eccos that I wore for years feel very unsupportive now: I can't wear them.

London is a good deal more laid back than it used to be, so don't worry. If you want to frequent places like the Ritz, and uppity Chelsea shops, I expect you will get a few raised eyebrows, but you won't run into it normally.

House prices have gone through the roof in the last few years. If you want to live in central London, you'll need a lot more than 3/4 of a million dollars - or pounds for that matter. Even out here in Blackheath/Greenwich, prices for good sized detached houses are edging the million mark. They are much higher in Chelsea, Westminster, Islington,.Hampstead, Maida Vale, etc. Last year everyone was saying prices would come down, but they haven't yet, which is why I think you'd be well advised to wait a bit before moving: you don't want to buy at the height of the market.

I should probably have posted this on the SS board. Oh Well. Yes - let's put future London topics there.

All the best

Julie

Donna SL on 5/21/01 at 13:17 (048472)

Hi Julie,

I wrote a reply to you on the social support board.

Donna

The Foot Fixer on 7/16/01 at 10:01 (053341)

The guy that you were discussing at the Portland physio practice does not have any Podiatry qulaifications and is not registered with any of the certification boards here in the UK.

Donna SL on 7/16/01 at 13:40 (053362)

Hi Foot Fixer,

That very interesting. Are you talking about Norbert Cauvas who makes the orthotics? It's unclear if he is actually a podiatrist or not. He may be very good at making orthotics though. Some of the best - most qualified podiatrist are not necessarily good at making orthotics. I haven't found any yet. He may be similiar to a Cped in the U.S.

Are you in the UK? I curious what your background is?

Donna