Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone had good results from immobilazation?

Posted by Kate W on 5/20/01 at 18:18 (048409)

Hi

My new pod strapped me into an immobilization walking boot, to wear at all times except sleeping, bathing, etc.

Anyone else tried this? Anyone had good results? I feel it might be helping, except that after a few days of wearing it I'm getting pain in my other foot from putting the bulk of my weight on it (arch pain, feels like good 'ol PF pain, I guess.) I'm not sure its worth blowing out my right foot just to try to cure my left of TTS.

Whaddya think?

Re: Anyone had good results from immobilazation?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/20/01 at 18:26 (048411)

Need alittle more back ground. I like to tape the foot first and see how you do. Be very careeful about the other foot starting. Discuss immediately with your treating doc

Paula A on 5/20/01 at hrmin (048424)

Kate,

I really hope you find some relief with the walking boot. Try
not to limp but let it do the walking motion for you..If your boot
has a rocker bottom, it is designed to make the walking motion
for you so your foot can rest..

I have been in a walking boot for nearly two weeks. No problems with
my other foot but plenty of trouble with the one in the boot. Did fine
for about a week, then it started to swell. I started getting cramps
in the same leg in my thigh. Went to my Doc and he put me in a ankle
support sock to wear along with the walking boot. It got the swelling down.

My leg gets sore from this heavy boot and now I have
a deep dent inside the footbed of the boot that makes me feel like
I am walking on a big ridge..I work on a cement floor at work and
by the time I get off work, I am ready to scream..I love my job of
8 months but it doesn't love my foot.

Not sure why I am having trouble with the boot as I let it do the
walking...But I get 3 days off this week to rest starting on Tuesday
and I will force myself to be a good girl and rest,rest rest...

Any ideas on what to do about the dent in the footbed? I tried a
cushioned insole but it got the dent in it too, just like the
boot..

Good luck with the boot, Kate and I hope both your
feet get to feeling better..

Wishing happy feet to all..

Paula

Kate W on 5/20/01 at 22:25 (048425)

I had a positive NCV test about a month ago--the pod who was treating me then didn't want to do anything for me besides a cortisone shot. I had a bad experience with a cortisone shot about a year ago for PF in the same foot that I'm now having TTS in, so I said no and found another pod. (It wasn't the pain of the shot that bothered me, although it did hurt, but rather the intense pain I had the rest of that day during which I had to walk on it a lot at work. After that went away, the PF pain did get much better.)

My new pod had me on medrol for a week--which didn't touch the pain and in fact I got worse. He suggested PT or the boot--I chose the boot as it seemed a minor inconvenience as opposed to several PT appointments per week with my work schedule.

Yesterday was day five with the boot and I had to work, the pain in my other foot began toward the end of the day--really bad arch pain. I am wearing a New Balance walking shoe on that foot with a Spenco soft arch support.

My doc wants me to wear the boot for three weeks, but if my other foot continues to get bad I don't want to risk having both feet be injured so I will definitely get in touch with the doctor again.

I'm wondering if it is time to seriously consider asking for a transfer to another department where I will be sitting down more . . .I spent thousands of dollars for more schooling so I could have this career (I am a public service librarian) and it has only been two years. I never dreamed it would cause so much trouble with my feet!

The good news is they are going to be replacing the wood floor at work with rubber tile, which is much more forgiving on the feet, I hear. :)

Hope this gives you the background you need, thanks for responding. You can respond of-list if you'd rather. librarian26@aol.com

Kate W.

lenore r on 5/22/01 at 07:15 (048553)

i was told when in the cam walker to make sure your other shoes heel brought you to the same height as the boot so you wouldnt be limping and causing the good foot to hurt

Bellel on 5/29/01 at 21:29 (049285)

I have now had the walker on for a week, and I have no pain walking with it on, but still do when I remove it. I too am worried what this is doing to my other leg. I tried new shoes with a built up heel, but still feel uneven when I walk. I have starting using a cane to try and balance myself.
Any other ideas?

Scott2 on 5/31/01 at 18:33 (049503)

Kate,

I had immobilization done on my foot prior to surgery. It did not cure anything because at the time, it was believed to be just plantar fascitis. That was one of the ways my TTS along with PF was discovered.

As for the other foot taking the majority of the weight, it did not bother me too much. On a side note (or footnote) I have developed PF in my non-surgery foot after the surgery due to all of the weight bearing so I know where you are coming from.

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks, Scott

Re: Another good reason for delaying weight-bearing after surgery?

Julie on 6/01/01 at 02:41 (049543)

Scott, you've really developed PF in your good foot since the surgery? I am so sorry! But thank you for telling us. It makes me think that this is another very, very good reason for not bearing weight for a long time after surgery (i.e.: as long as it takes, which varies with the individual and with the surgery) - to protect the good foot as well as the operated one.

scott2 on 6/01/01 at 10:28 (049575)

Julie,

I totally agree with you. I did stay off of my feet as much as possible and followed doctors orders, but I did have to go back to work. I sit mostly at work so it wasn't that bad.

I also think that my other foot was having minor problems prior to surgery but it was taking a back seat to my other foot which wanted all of the attention. I just think that once I started putting all of my body weight on my non-surgical foot at times finally brought it on.

It is not nearly as bad as my surgery foot and I am doing all that I can to keep it from worsening with stretching, ice, and using a boot (brace) at night to keep it in neutral position.

Thanks for your message.

- Scott

Re: weight-bearing

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 11:51 (049847)

Had TT and PF release, along with spur excision in March. Was almost completely non-weight bearing the first 2 weeks, then had 4 weeks of partial weightbearing and was told to wean myself off crutches after that, with the admonition to rest if I have pain. I've had a few bad days since I've been walking; when i called the doctor I was told to ice and elevate for an hour or so, but NOT to go back to nonweightbearing, as after a while, the fascia needs some weight on it in order to heal well. Prolonged nonweightbearing will also cause some atrophy, which isn't desirable. As in most things related to PF, the trick seems to be finding the 'middle ground' approach. Gina

Gayle on 7/04/01 at hrmin (052177)

Don't know as yet. I have a Jones Fracture. The cast on my foot provided a lot of comfort but was so bulky and hot, sticky. I opted for this Cam Walker. I hope it works as I am in some pain now that the cast is off.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/20/01 at 18:26 (048411)

Need alittle more back ground. I like to tape the foot first and see how you do. Be very careeful about the other foot starting. Discuss immediately with your treating doc

Paula A on 5/20/01 at hrmin (048424)

Kate,

I really hope you find some relief with the walking boot. Try
not to limp but let it do the walking motion for you..If your boot
has a rocker bottom, it is designed to make the walking motion
for you so your foot can rest..

I have been in a walking boot for nearly two weeks. No problems with
my other foot but plenty of trouble with the one in the boot. Did fine
for about a week, then it started to swell. I started getting cramps
in the same leg in my thigh. Went to my Doc and he put me in a ankle
support sock to wear along with the walking boot. It got the swelling down.

My leg gets sore from this heavy boot and now I have
a deep dent inside the footbed of the boot that makes me feel like
I am walking on a big ridge..I work on a cement floor at work and
by the time I get off work, I am ready to scream..I love my job of
8 months but it doesn't love my foot.

Not sure why I am having trouble with the boot as I let it do the
walking...But I get 3 days off this week to rest starting on Tuesday
and I will force myself to be a good girl and rest,rest rest...

Any ideas on what to do about the dent in the footbed? I tried a
cushioned insole but it got the dent in it too, just like the
boot..

Good luck with the boot, Kate and I hope both your
feet get to feeling better..

Wishing happy feet to all..

Paula

Kate W on 5/20/01 at 22:25 (048425)

I had a positive NCV test about a month ago--the pod who was treating me then didn't want to do anything for me besides a cortisone shot. I had a bad experience with a cortisone shot about a year ago for PF in the same foot that I'm now having TTS in, so I said no and found another pod. (It wasn't the pain of the shot that bothered me, although it did hurt, but rather the intense pain I had the rest of that day during which I had to walk on it a lot at work. After that went away, the PF pain did get much better.)

My new pod had me on medrol for a week--which didn't touch the pain and in fact I got worse. He suggested PT or the boot--I chose the boot as it seemed a minor inconvenience as opposed to several PT appointments per week with my work schedule.

Yesterday was day five with the boot and I had to work, the pain in my other foot began toward the end of the day--really bad arch pain. I am wearing a New Balance walking shoe on that foot with a Spenco soft arch support.

My doc wants me to wear the boot for three weeks, but if my other foot continues to get bad I don't want to risk having both feet be injured so I will definitely get in touch with the doctor again.

I'm wondering if it is time to seriously consider asking for a transfer to another department where I will be sitting down more . . .I spent thousands of dollars for more schooling so I could have this career (I am a public service librarian) and it has only been two years. I never dreamed it would cause so much trouble with my feet!

The good news is they are going to be replacing the wood floor at work with rubber tile, which is much more forgiving on the feet, I hear. :)

Hope this gives you the background you need, thanks for responding. You can respond of-list if you'd rather. librarian26@aol.com

Kate W.

lenore r on 5/22/01 at 07:15 (048553)

i was told when in the cam walker to make sure your other shoes heel brought you to the same height as the boot so you wouldnt be limping and causing the good foot to hurt

Bellel on 5/29/01 at 21:29 (049285)

I have now had the walker on for a week, and I have no pain walking with it on, but still do when I remove it. I too am worried what this is doing to my other leg. I tried new shoes with a built up heel, but still feel uneven when I walk. I have starting using a cane to try and balance myself.
Any other ideas?

Scott2 on 5/31/01 at 18:33 (049503)

Kate,

I had immobilization done on my foot prior to surgery. It did not cure anything because at the time, it was believed to be just plantar fascitis. That was one of the ways my TTS along with PF was discovered.

As for the other foot taking the majority of the weight, it did not bother me too much. On a side note (or footnote) I have developed PF in my non-surgery foot after the surgery due to all of the weight bearing so I know where you are coming from.

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks, Scott

Julie on 6/01/01 at 02:41 (049543)

Scott, you've really developed PF in your good foot since the surgery? I am so sorry! But thank you for telling us. It makes me think that this is another very, very good reason for not bearing weight for a long time after surgery (i.e.: as long as it takes, which varies with the individual and with the surgery) - to protect the good foot as well as the operated one.

scott2 on 6/01/01 at 10:28 (049575)

Julie,

I totally agree with you. I did stay off of my feet as much as possible and followed doctors orders, but I did have to go back to work. I sit mostly at work so it wasn't that bad.

I also think that my other foot was having minor problems prior to surgery but it was taking a back seat to my other foot which wanted all of the attention. I just think that once I started putting all of my body weight on my non-surgical foot at times finally brought it on.

It is not nearly as bad as my surgery foot and I am doing all that I can to keep it from worsening with stretching, ice, and using a boot (brace) at night to keep it in neutral position.

Thanks for your message.

- Scott

Re: weight-bearing

GinaC on 6/04/01 at 11:51 (049847)

Had TT and PF release, along with spur excision in March. Was almost completely non-weight bearing the first 2 weeks, then had 4 weeks of partial weightbearing and was told to wean myself off crutches after that, with the admonition to rest if I have pain. I've had a few bad days since I've been walking; when i called the doctor I was told to ice and elevate for an hour or so, but NOT to go back to nonweightbearing, as after a while, the fascia needs some weight on it in order to heal well. Prolonged nonweightbearing will also cause some atrophy, which isn't desirable. As in most things related to PF, the trick seems to be finding the 'middle ground' approach. Gina

Gayle on 7/04/01 at hrmin (052177)

Don't know as yet. I have a Jones Fracture. The cast on my foot provided a lot of comfort but was so bulky and hot, sticky. I opted for this Cam Walker. I hope it works as I am in some pain now that the cast is off.