Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recent cortizone injection.

Posted by Robyn on 5/20/01 at hrmin (048429)

I recently had cortizone injected into my left foot. It has been one week and it has only relieved it slightly. I am curious about opinions on the drug, cortizone. How effective is it and how long does it take to work?? I am 56 years old and have only had trouble with my feet this year. I am a serious walker so my feet are essential!!!

Re: Recent cortizone injection.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 10:03 (048450)

Local steriod injections can give you relief . I strongly urge you to have you foot taped in addition to the steriod injection. Too many steriod injections are bad. There is literature in the article section that states that there is an 8% chance of rupture with just two local steriod injections. So add rest to the treatment formula

Julie on 5/22/01 at 02:24 (048538)

Robyn, I'm not a doctor, but your statement 'I am a serious walker' rang alarm bells! So am I, and it was very difficult to pull back from walking when I got PF, but rest is the first line of treatment for PF, which is an actual injury to the plantar fascia. It needs rest in order to heal, so you need to stay off your feet as much as possible.

Possibly your doctor didn't tell you this. But if you are still doing walking for recreation, do put that aside for awhile, until your feet are better. They will thank you in the long run. (The first lesson we all learn around here is: DON'T RUN ( or walk)THROUGH THE PAIN.)

Read the heel pain book to learn about PF and how to treat it, and try all the conservative methods before going for any more cortisone shots. Taping, as Dr Z suggested, can be very helpful when you do need to be on your feet: it supplies the support for the arch which has been lost due to the tearing of the fascia.

You'll also find a lot of information and support here on the message boards from people who have been and are going through it, so do keep reading and asking questions.

Kind regards, Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 10:03 (048450)

Local steriod injections can give you relief . I strongly urge you to have you foot taped in addition to the steriod injection. Too many steriod injections are bad. There is literature in the article section that states that there is an 8% chance of rupture with just two local steriod injections. So add rest to the treatment formula

Julie on 5/22/01 at 02:24 (048538)

Robyn, I'm not a doctor, but your statement 'I am a serious walker' rang alarm bells! So am I, and it was very difficult to pull back from walking when I got PF, but rest is the first line of treatment for PF, which is an actual injury to the plantar fascia. It needs rest in order to heal, so you need to stay off your feet as much as possible.

Possibly your doctor didn't tell you this. But if you are still doing walking for recreation, do put that aside for awhile, until your feet are better. They will thank you in the long run. (The first lesson we all learn around here is: DON'T RUN ( or walk)THROUGH THE PAIN.)

Read the heel pain book to learn about PF and how to treat it, and try all the conservative methods before going for any more cortisone shots. Taping, as Dr Z suggested, can be very helpful when you do need to be on your feet: it supplies the support for the arch which has been lost due to the tearing of the fascia.

You'll also find a lot of information and support here on the message boards from people who have been and are going through it, so do keep reading and asking questions.

Kind regards, Julie