Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The update

Posted by Claudia (which, by the way, means the lame one....) on 5/21/01 at 12:17 (048465)

so here i am, four days after the injection/hematoma aspiration experience; saw The Foot Doc this morning.....yes, i am experiencing relief of the absolutely insane pain i was having, but no, i am not pain free. he says he thinks 'it's over'...that injecting the cortisone is just what 'we' needed to do in order to stop the snowballing effect that was going on pain-wise. he also thinks i have had such difficulty because of the fact that he did the bunionectomy and the fasciotomy at the same time. he said that if it was scar tissue irritating a nerve or a trapped nerve the injections wouldn't have had any effect. the thing that i find interesting though is this.....and is THIS reason enough to haul my sad story to another foot doc for that second opinion?......it isn't the plantar fascia that hurts; it isn't the site of the bunionectomy that hurts....it is my heel, deep inside. he says the bone is bruised.....and his only further 'offer' is a second round of cortisone injections. so.....am i to be concerned that there is some bone problem lurking here? or is it all just related to the pooling of blood, the irritated tissue, the way things were before the injections? i am supposed to go back to see him on june 4.

Re: The update

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 16:23 (048484)

First of all I am making the assumption that a bone infection has been rules out and I am sure it has. Ok . What would I do. You aren't going to change anything if you wait this out until June 4 for another evaluation.

How much relief did you get. 90% or more. Is this a fair estimation of pain relief.??

claudia to dr. zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 17:20 (048491)

the possibility of a bone infection has never even been mentioned. how much pain relief? 50% i think would be fair to say. still a dull searing pain in the heel and shooting pains when i lie down on my back in bed or on the couch....pressure on the heel causes the pain. i swear i'm beginning to agree with all of YOU!!!! today the doctor just seemed like 'well, if it starts to hurt at 2pm you know it's just going to be worse by 3pm if you don't do something about it.' he is convinced the heel pain is bruising to the bone and admits that he does not know why that would be happening. do i go to an orthopedic doctor now? or do i just see how things go?

claudia, a p.s. to dr. z. on 5/21/01 at 18:03 (048493)

as i am thinking about it, when the doctor ordered the MRI he said it was to rule out a mass and/or scar tissue. would a bone infection just be 'noticed' or picked up when the MRI was read by a doctor? wouldn't i be sick if i had a bone infection?

wendyn on 5/21/01 at 18:07 (048494)

Claudia - in the nicest possible way...I ask...what would you like to hear?

I suppose there is no point in restating the obvious.

(Get another opinion).

Dr Wander (bless his ever patient soul) has even been kind enough to give you the name of someone in your area.

Or - you could just keep going back to the same doctor, keep having pain, keep being confused,keep coming here, keep asking the same question, keep receiving the same answer, and keep ignoring the advice.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 18:44 (048498)

The mri should pick up any bone infection.

Re: Please tell us !!

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 18:48 (048500)

What could be wrong with gettng a second opinion. You can tell us. There is something bothering you about getting another opinon. All that is going to happen at the second opinion is that the doctor will look at the mri and examine you foot. I willing to bet that he will agree with your first doctor. So go see the second doc and confirm my guess.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/21/01 at 20:44 (048510)

Wendy,

I couldn't agree with you more. As you know, I've given Claudia the name of a very well respected doctor in her area, and we've all expressed our recommendation to have a second opinion. At this point I won't respond to any additional questions she has, because I have not seen her foot or her MRI and I feel that it is imperative that a second opinion be obtained. If a patient in my office consistently does not follow my advice, I recommend that he/she see another doctor. It makes absolutely no sense to me why Claudia keeps asking questions, keeps getting the same answers and chooses not to listen to medical advice or peer advice. I truly believe that WHEN Claudia wants to have relief, she'll seek a second opinion. In the interim, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Re: The update TO Wendyn

Laurie R on 5/21/01 at 21:36 (048521)

Hi Wendy ,I would love for you to read my post on the socisl board and tell me what you think... You have always had the best advice and I am very sad tonight and confused... If you could help me I would really appreciate it..Thank you so much ,Laurie R

Julie on 5/22/01 at 02:36 (048539)

Claudia, the weary and somewhat wounding tone in your 'Yes Julie' response to my last post told me that you didn't want to hear what I was saying and were telling me to mind my own business. But I'm going to say it again, because I truly believe it is the right thing to do.

Here goes.

Get a second opinion.
See the doctor Dr Wander has given you the details of.

claudia to EVERYONE! on 5/22/01 at 06:16 (048547)

ok. here's the scoop. my husband is a doctor and he refers patients to my podiatrist when necessary....although my husband is NOT a podiatrist he is always MORE than able to talk with me about things FROM THE PHYSICIANS; POSITION. he thinks the foot doc is just fine, that he has acted appropriately......and it sure as hell would make waves if i called his office and said 'oh, send all my stuff to this other doctor, i want someone elses' opinion.' no wait....that's not really the spin i want to put on this..it isn't that the world would crumble if i haul my stuff from the foot docs/ office to someone else....it's that because of a different perspective than someone else might have about the physician as just a person trying to help someone else with a problem i feel perhaps a stronger sense of being 'beholdin'' to him????? perhaps i am not expressing this well.....and i certainly do not expect grief from anyone about my position...i can understand how you might not agree with me and i can understand a small jot of disbelief that i continue to write to you all with my 'updates' when you keep saying 'SECOND OPINION.' at this point hubby/physician thinks that if the heel still speaks loudly to me in a couple of weeks i should seek the advice of an orthopedic doctor. i think the bottom line here is this.......my reluctance says more about my basic personality than it does about my intelligence. please be kind. i'm only human. but there....i told you what i think is my truth. now i can sleep better tonight.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/22/01 at 08:09 (048555)

Claudia,

What concerns me about your present podiatrist, isn't that you're still having pain and complications. What does concern me is that despite all his efforts, and your continued discomfort, he has not recommended that you seek another opinion. In my practice, if I have exhausted all efforts and a patient is still experiencing problems, I recommend a second opinion and offer the patient a copy of the records. I am secure enough with my own abilities, but the bottom line is that I will do what I think is best for the patient, not what's best for my pride. Therefore, I will actually bring up the idea of a second opinion, and I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't already suggested this idea. Maybe you or you and your husband should sit down, speak with the doctor and gently ask him if he thinks a second opinion may be warranted. If he agrees, he shows that he has your best interest in mind, if he gets defensive I'd be very concerned. There is a very diplomatic way to approach this matter, without having him feel threatened. The bottom line is that you must do what's best for YOU. Even if you seek a second opinion, your husband can still show him a vote of confidence by still referring him patients. Seeking a second opinion should not be seen as an insult and certainly does not infer that any treatment rendered was not appropriate. The doctor, you, and your husband should all understand the previous sentence.

claudia to dr. wander on 5/22/01 at 08:22 (048556)

Very nicely said dr. wander and i thank you. i will keep you posted. aren't you lucky????? (lol)

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 16:23 (048484)

First of all I am making the assumption that a bone infection has been rules out and I am sure it has. Ok . What would I do. You aren't going to change anything if you wait this out until June 4 for another evaluation.

How much relief did you get. 90% or more. Is this a fair estimation of pain relief.??

claudia to dr. zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 17:20 (048491)

the possibility of a bone infection has never even been mentioned. how much pain relief? 50% i think would be fair to say. still a dull searing pain in the heel and shooting pains when i lie down on my back in bed or on the couch....pressure on the heel causes the pain. i swear i'm beginning to agree with all of YOU!!!! today the doctor just seemed like 'well, if it starts to hurt at 2pm you know it's just going to be worse by 3pm if you don't do something about it.' he is convinced the heel pain is bruising to the bone and admits that he does not know why that would be happening. do i go to an orthopedic doctor now? or do i just see how things go?

claudia, a p.s. to dr. z. on 5/21/01 at 18:03 (048493)

as i am thinking about it, when the doctor ordered the MRI he said it was to rule out a mass and/or scar tissue. would a bone infection just be 'noticed' or picked up when the MRI was read by a doctor? wouldn't i be sick if i had a bone infection?

wendyn on 5/21/01 at 18:07 (048494)

Claudia - in the nicest possible way...I ask...what would you like to hear?

I suppose there is no point in restating the obvious.

(Get another opinion).

Dr Wander (bless his ever patient soul) has even been kind enough to give you the name of someone in your area.

Or - you could just keep going back to the same doctor, keep having pain, keep being confused,keep coming here, keep asking the same question, keep receiving the same answer, and keep ignoring the advice.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 18:44 (048498)

The mri should pick up any bone infection.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/21/01 at 18:48 (048500)

What could be wrong with gettng a second opinion. You can tell us. There is something bothering you about getting another opinon. All that is going to happen at the second opinion is that the doctor will look at the mri and examine you foot. I willing to bet that he will agree with your first doctor. So go see the second doc and confirm my guess.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/21/01 at 20:44 (048510)

Wendy,

I couldn't agree with you more. As you know, I've given Claudia the name of a very well respected doctor in her area, and we've all expressed our recommendation to have a second opinion. At this point I won't respond to any additional questions she has, because I have not seen her foot or her MRI and I feel that it is imperative that a second opinion be obtained. If a patient in my office consistently does not follow my advice, I recommend that he/she see another doctor. It makes absolutely no sense to me why Claudia keeps asking questions, keeps getting the same answers and chooses not to listen to medical advice or peer advice. I truly believe that WHEN Claudia wants to have relief, she'll seek a second opinion. In the interim, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Re: The update TO Wendyn

Laurie R on 5/21/01 at 21:36 (048521)

Hi Wendy ,I would love for you to read my post on the socisl board and tell me what you think... You have always had the best advice and I am very sad tonight and confused... If you could help me I would really appreciate it..Thank you so much ,Laurie R

Julie on 5/22/01 at 02:36 (048539)

Claudia, the weary and somewhat wounding tone in your 'Yes Julie' response to my last post told me that you didn't want to hear what I was saying and were telling me to mind my own business. But I'm going to say it again, because I truly believe it is the right thing to do.

Here goes.

Get a second opinion.
See the doctor Dr Wander has given you the details of.

claudia to EVERYONE! on 5/22/01 at 06:16 (048547)

ok. here's the scoop. my husband is a doctor and he refers patients to my podiatrist when necessary....although my husband is NOT a podiatrist he is always MORE than able to talk with me about things FROM THE PHYSICIANS; POSITION. he thinks the foot doc is just fine, that he has acted appropriately......and it sure as hell would make waves if i called his office and said 'oh, send all my stuff to this other doctor, i want someone elses' opinion.' no wait....that's not really the spin i want to put on this..it isn't that the world would crumble if i haul my stuff from the foot docs/ office to someone else....it's that because of a different perspective than someone else might have about the physician as just a person trying to help someone else with a problem i feel perhaps a stronger sense of being 'beholdin'' to him????? perhaps i am not expressing this well.....and i certainly do not expect grief from anyone about my position...i can understand how you might not agree with me and i can understand a small jot of disbelief that i continue to write to you all with my 'updates' when you keep saying 'SECOND OPINION.' at this point hubby/physician thinks that if the heel still speaks loudly to me in a couple of weeks i should seek the advice of an orthopedic doctor. i think the bottom line here is this.......my reluctance says more about my basic personality than it does about my intelligence. please be kind. i'm only human. but there....i told you what i think is my truth. now i can sleep better tonight.

Dr. David S. Wander on 5/22/01 at 08:09 (048555)

Claudia,

What concerns me about your present podiatrist, isn't that you're still having pain and complications. What does concern me is that despite all his efforts, and your continued discomfort, he has not recommended that you seek another opinion. In my practice, if I have exhausted all efforts and a patient is still experiencing problems, I recommend a second opinion and offer the patient a copy of the records. I am secure enough with my own abilities, but the bottom line is that I will do what I think is best for the patient, not what's best for my pride. Therefore, I will actually bring up the idea of a second opinion, and I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't already suggested this idea. Maybe you or you and your husband should sit down, speak with the doctor and gently ask him if he thinks a second opinion may be warranted. If he agrees, he shows that he has your best interest in mind, if he gets defensive I'd be very concerned. There is a very diplomatic way to approach this matter, without having him feel threatened. The bottom line is that you must do what's best for YOU. Even if you seek a second opinion, your husband can still show him a vote of confidence by still referring him patients. Seeking a second opinion should not be seen as an insult and certainly does not infer that any treatment rendered was not appropriate. The doctor, you, and your husband should all understand the previous sentence.

claudia to dr. wander on 5/22/01 at 08:22 (048556)

Very nicely said dr. wander and i thank you. i will keep you posted. aren't you lucky????? (lol)