Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spurs & hip, thigh pain

Posted by Linda W on 5/22/01 at hrmin (048606)

I have recently gone on a diet and have started walking to help aid in the weight loss. The first evening walked without any pain. Got up the next morning with pain in the hip and thigh and heel pain. Do not know if this is due to heel spurs or not. Any suggestions on how to handle this problem? I really don't want to stop the only exercise that I get. The only other thing that I can think to do is to join a health club and do water aerobics--do you think this would help or hurt the hip,thigh problem?

Any excessive walking will cause this pain. I wear Dr. Sholl's shoes with the wedge rubber heel already. Any help or information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: heel spurs & hip, thigh pain

Julie on 5/23/01 at 02:15 (048616)

Hi Linda

My first thought was that you might just have overdone it a bit! If you're very overweight and/or unaccustomed to exercise, your body might be telling you to go a little easier. Water aerobics and swimming might be a better exercise choice for you than walking, as they are non weight-bearing.

But you should really get yourself to a foot doctor - a podiatrist or sports medicine doctor - and get yourself evaluated and diagnosed. If your heel pain is due to plantar fasciitis, you'll need to get a treatment programme in place and be active in it. Do read the heel pain book on this website, for information and advice. But the important thing is - get an examination and diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with.

All the best

Julie

Re: heel spurs & hip, thigh pain

Julie on 5/23/01 at 02:15 (048616)

Hi Linda

My first thought was that you might just have overdone it a bit! If you're very overweight and/or unaccustomed to exercise, your body might be telling you to go a little easier. Water aerobics and swimming might be a better exercise choice for you than walking, as they are non weight-bearing.

But you should really get yourself to a foot doctor - a podiatrist or sports medicine doctor - and get yourself evaluated and diagnosed. If your heel pain is due to plantar fasciitis, you'll need to get a treatment programme in place and be active in it. Do read the heel pain book on this website, for information and advice. But the important thing is - get an examination and diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with.

All the best

Julie