Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS post op any Doctor

Posted by claudia m on 5/23/01 at 13:25 (048657)

I am having a lot of discomfort with the tendon running along the inside arch of my foot. Is this normal after surgery? I am 6 weeks post op. Iam in therapy and I cannot hardly stand for the therapist to touch that area. At first They were doing agressive massaging but I cannot tolerate it at all anymore. It is also starting to be a bit uncomfortable to walk in that area of my foot. The therapist said she can feel it and it feels like a knot of tissue. Please I would appreciate any help on what to do for it. Is it possible it could be scar tissue? it is not close to my incision at all.Is it possible I can walk this out? Thanks for any help at all. Should I call my Dr. and let him know about this? Is there a bursa in this area?

Re: TTS post op any Doctor

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 17:45 (048688)

Claudia - the doctors will be more likely to see this on the 'ask the doctors board' - you may want to try posting there too.

The pain you are describing could be pain from the tendon - or from the nerve, sometimes it's hard to tell. When my TTS was very bad I couldn't stand the SLIGHTEST touch along that area.

I don't think there is a bursa there (or anything else that could swell up like that). I think it's always a good idea to call the Dr if you're not sure - please let us know what he says!

Claudia m on 5/23/01 at 21:03 (048711)

Wendyn, Thank you for responding, to my questions. Was your problem time before or after surgery in the area of that tendon, and did it get better the more you walked and exercised? They did say it might come out of it the more I loosened up. You have been so good to help me throughout the time I have been down with this. I thank you so much for always being there for me. How do I get to the Doctor message board? All I could find gave no place for me to write the message. I will keep in touch.

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 23:21 (048726)

Claudia - do you see a note that says something like 'Message board home' at the top of your page? I'm just not sure how you view the page. Let me know and I can help you out.

I have never had surgery...my TTS was eventually blamed on a progressive condition in my feet. They are gradually collapsing and flattening out, and the doctor(s) believe that this stretching caused my TTS symptoms.

It (the TTS) really started about 2.5 years ago, and got VERY bad about 2 years ago. About 1 year ago, I really started a recovery process...mostly due to time, rest, acupuncture, B12, and yoga (stretching). The gentle stretching has been so important because I also have very short achilles tendons and tight gastroc muscles (means my legs look decent but don't work real well).

I've also had trouble with that tendon you describe - it only improved with the rest, gentle stretching etc. I think that the problems with that tendon were really contributing to the nerve pain I felt (swelling causing pressure on the nerve).

So, ultimately - I can't speak to the surgery side at all....but I can sure help you get to that doctor board if you can't find it!

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 17:45 (048688)

Claudia - the doctors will be more likely to see this on the 'ask the doctors board' - you may want to try posting there too.

The pain you are describing could be pain from the tendon - or from the nerve, sometimes it's hard to tell. When my TTS was very bad I couldn't stand the SLIGHTEST touch along that area.

I don't think there is a bursa there (or anything else that could swell up like that). I think it's always a good idea to call the Dr if you're not sure - please let us know what he says!

Claudia m on 5/23/01 at 21:03 (048711)

Wendyn, Thank you for responding, to my questions. Was your problem time before or after surgery in the area of that tendon, and did it get better the more you walked and exercised? They did say it might come out of it the more I loosened up. You have been so good to help me throughout the time I have been down with this. I thank you so much for always being there for me. How do I get to the Doctor message board? All I could find gave no place for me to write the message. I will keep in touch.

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 23:21 (048726)

Claudia - do you see a note that says something like 'Message board home' at the top of your page? I'm just not sure how you view the page. Let me know and I can help you out.

I have never had surgery...my TTS was eventually blamed on a progressive condition in my feet. They are gradually collapsing and flattening out, and the doctor(s) believe that this stretching caused my TTS symptoms.

It (the TTS) really started about 2.5 years ago, and got VERY bad about 2 years ago. About 1 year ago, I really started a recovery process...mostly due to time, rest, acupuncture, B12, and yoga (stretching). The gentle stretching has been so important because I also have very short achilles tendons and tight gastroc muscles (means my legs look decent but don't work real well).

I've also had trouble with that tendon you describe - it only improved with the rest, gentle stretching etc. I think that the problems with that tendon were really contributing to the nerve pain I felt (swelling causing pressure on the nerve).

So, ultimately - I can't speak to the surgery side at all....but I can sure help you get to that doctor board if you can't find it!