Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pre-surgery

Posted by Tracey A on 5/23/01 at 13:38 (048658)

Hello,
I have just a basic question on procedures before surgery. Should a doctor order test before any surgery? If not why? Isn't important to check for any problems or illnesses before surgery? And isn't this something that is just done normally? I ask because no one ordered test before my foot surgery, and I just found out that I am diabetic. Would that have made a difference in the surgery?
Thank-you

Re: Pre-surgery

MARY S. on 5/23/01 at 22:56 (048725)

MY DOCTOR ORDERED BLOOD WORK, CHEST X-RAY, EKG, AND PREOP MEETING WITH PHYSICAL THERAPY AND ANESTHESIOLOGIST. I WOULD THINK THAT ANY SURGEON WOULD RULE OUT THE POSSIBILITY OF DIABETES BEFORE ANY SURGERY. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS AND HOPE THAT BEING A DIABETIC HAS NOT COMPLICATED YOUR SITUATION. THINKING OF YOU.

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 23:26 (048727)

Before I had bunion surgery I had a whole blood work up just like Mary. Being diabetic can change all kinds of things, including your ability to heal (especially in your feet). There are also problems related to diabetes (like peripheral neuropathy) that could potentially be misdiagnosed as something like TTS or PF if the doctor didn't know you are diabetic.

Did you already have surgery? How did they finally come to realize you're diabetic?

MARY S. on 5/24/01 at 11:40 (048783)

JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ON MY MIND AND THAT I AM PRAYING FOR YOU. I AM ANXIOUS TO HEAR YOUR RESPONSE TO WENDYN'S QUESTIONS. I WOULD THINK THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD SURGERY YET, THIS MATTER SHOULD BE ADDRESSED AND GIVEN CAREFUL ATTENTION FIRST. IF YOU HAVE HAD THE SURGERY, YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULLY SUPERVISED BY A DOCTOR WHO CAN ACCOMODATE YOUR NEEDS AS DIABETIC. THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION FOR EVERY PROBLEM. PLEASE DON'T NEGLECT TO GET THE HELP YOU NEED. THINKING OF YOU.

Tracey A on 5/24/01 at 22:37 (048830)

Dear Wendyn and Mary,

Sorry it took so long to respond to you both. I had surgey June 2000 and didn't recover and had second surgery with different doctor September 2000. Neither doctor did blood work. I had PF release. It is almost 1 year and I am not better. My heel is still numb and my heel is still swollen. I have seen third doctor in Jan. and he said there was nothing he could do now. The first doctor cut the nerves in my heel and 2nd doctor cut bllod vessels in my foot and the blood is trapped in the heel. I just found out I was diabetic. I don't understand why these doctors did not to any tests before sugery. I'm still in pain and still can't walk without pain. The doctors never tried any other treatments before surgery. Now I have a big scar that curves under my arch, and a foot that is worse now than before surgery. Thanks for the good thoughts and concern. Tracey

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 23:37 (048831)

Wow Tracey...that's awful. Any chance of going for some restitution in this case? I always thought blood work was a normal part of pre op. Do you have trouble with 'just' one foot - or do you have pain in both?

MARY S. on 5/25/01 at 02:51 (048841)

GOSH!! I AM SOOOOO SORRY THAT YOU HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THIS!! I DO THINK THAT HELP IS OUT THERE FOR YOU. SOMEONE SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS MAJOR OVERSITE!! I KNOW THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR YOUR PAIN, BUT PROFESSIONALS SHOULD BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR SERIOUS MISTAKES. I AM HAVING SURGERY IN A FEW HOURS, SO I BETTER RUN ( WHILE I CAN). I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU--CHIN UP--I JUST KNOW HELP IS OUT THERE!

Tracey A on 5/25/01 at 11:17 (048867)

Wendyn,
It was my right foot. I had a mri and the 2nd doctor said it was normal. Went through P.T for a total of 4 mos between both doctors. Can't walk at the mall with my daughters, can't roller blade either(do that every summer with family). Tracey

MARY S. on 5/23/01 at 22:56 (048725)

MY DOCTOR ORDERED BLOOD WORK, CHEST X-RAY, EKG, AND PREOP MEETING WITH PHYSICAL THERAPY AND ANESTHESIOLOGIST. I WOULD THINK THAT ANY SURGEON WOULD RULE OUT THE POSSIBILITY OF DIABETES BEFORE ANY SURGERY. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS AND HOPE THAT BEING A DIABETIC HAS NOT COMPLICATED YOUR SITUATION. THINKING OF YOU.

wendyn on 5/23/01 at 23:26 (048727)

Before I had bunion surgery I had a whole blood work up just like Mary. Being diabetic can change all kinds of things, including your ability to heal (especially in your feet). There are also problems related to diabetes (like peripheral neuropathy) that could potentially be misdiagnosed as something like TTS or PF if the doctor didn't know you are diabetic.

Did you already have surgery? How did they finally come to realize you're diabetic?

MARY S. on 5/24/01 at 11:40 (048783)

JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ON MY MIND AND THAT I AM PRAYING FOR YOU. I AM ANXIOUS TO HEAR YOUR RESPONSE TO WENDYN'S QUESTIONS. I WOULD THINK THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD SURGERY YET, THIS MATTER SHOULD BE ADDRESSED AND GIVEN CAREFUL ATTENTION FIRST. IF YOU HAVE HAD THE SURGERY, YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULLY SUPERVISED BY A DOCTOR WHO CAN ACCOMODATE YOUR NEEDS AS DIABETIC. THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION FOR EVERY PROBLEM. PLEASE DON'T NEGLECT TO GET THE HELP YOU NEED. THINKING OF YOU.

Tracey A on 5/24/01 at 22:37 (048830)

Dear Wendyn and Mary,

Sorry it took so long to respond to you both. I had surgey June 2000 and didn't recover and had second surgery with different doctor September 2000. Neither doctor did blood work. I had PF release. It is almost 1 year and I am not better. My heel is still numb and my heel is still swollen. I have seen third doctor in Jan. and he said there was nothing he could do now. The first doctor cut the nerves in my heel and 2nd doctor cut bllod vessels in my foot and the blood is trapped in the heel. I just found out I was diabetic. I don't understand why these doctors did not to any tests before sugery. I'm still in pain and still can't walk without pain. The doctors never tried any other treatments before surgery. Now I have a big scar that curves under my arch, and a foot that is worse now than before surgery. Thanks for the good thoughts and concern. Tracey

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 23:37 (048831)

Wow Tracey...that's awful. Any chance of going for some restitution in this case? I always thought blood work was a normal part of pre op. Do you have trouble with 'just' one foot - or do you have pain in both?

MARY S. on 5/25/01 at 02:51 (048841)

GOSH!! I AM SOOOOO SORRY THAT YOU HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THIS!! I DO THINK THAT HELP IS OUT THERE FOR YOU. SOMEONE SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS MAJOR OVERSITE!! I KNOW THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION FOR YOUR PAIN, BUT PROFESSIONALS SHOULD BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR SERIOUS MISTAKES. I AM HAVING SURGERY IN A FEW HOURS, SO I BETTER RUN ( WHILE I CAN). I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR YOU--CHIN UP--I JUST KNOW HELP IS OUT THERE!

Tracey A on 5/25/01 at 11:17 (048867)

Wendyn,
It was my right foot. I had a mri and the 2nd doctor said it was normal. Went through P.T for a total of 4 mos between both doctors. Can't walk at the mall with my daughters, can't roller blade either(do that every summer with family). Tracey