Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vioxx & Celebrex in the news

Posted by Helene M on 5/23/01 at 16:37 (048671)

Anyone read the article in yesterday's N.Y. Times on the possible dangers of these 2 drugs? I'm sure it appeared in other newspapers as well. It was in the business section.

Re: Vioxx & Celebrex in the news

Paula A on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048679)

Hi Helene,

No, I missed the paper yesterday. What did the article say?
I have taken Celebrex..It doesn't work. Now I am taking
Vioxx..It works a at least a little better but isn't as effective
as I'd like and if it is dangerous, I'd rather not take it..

Thanks,

Paula

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 17:32 (048686)

Paula--

Sorry to hear that the Celebrex hasn't worked for you. Do remember, though, that different drugs work for different people. I got no relief whatsoever from Vioxx (and a host of other NSAIDS), but Celebrex worked absolute wonders for me and I credit it with at least part of my recovery. Fortunately, I no longer need to take anything.

I'd be interested in reading the article, too, if anyone has a link to it.

Re: Vioxx & Celebrex in the news - link to article

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 17:48 (048690)

I found the article online. You can get to it at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/22/business/22VIOX.html

Paula A on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048691)

Nancy,

I am happy Celebrex worked for you. I should have stated that differently.
I meant to say it didn't work for me, not that it wouldn't work for anyone else. :)
Drugs definitely do work differently on each person.

Congratulations on finding things that worked for you..You are doing the
Active Release Therapy aren't you??

Smiles,

Paula

Paula A on 5/23/01 at 18:01 (048693)

Thanks, Nancy!! I just read it and since I have a family history of
heart disease, I will talk to my Doctor about changing to something
else..

Paula

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 18:32 (048695)

Paula--

I figured that was what you meant, but thought we should clarify so as not to confuse any new people.

I'm actually not one of the Active Release folks. I took Celebrex for about 7 months, during which time I felt pretty good. I was in the OrthoWave study in NY at the time (I got the placebo treatment). I was also using the Acu-Flex regularly and I do think that helped to strengthen my feet a lot. While I was on the Celebrex, I got new orthotics, which I started wearing a few weeks before I stopped taking the Celebrex. I wasn't sure what would happen then, but I noticed almost no difference, so I'm not sure how much of my success was because of the Celebrex, and how much was because of the orthotics. But I'm not complaining! It took almost two years, but it seems to be behind me, at least for now.

Paula A on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048679)

Hi Helene,

No, I missed the paper yesterday. What did the article say?
I have taken Celebrex..It doesn't work. Now I am taking
Vioxx..It works a at least a little better but isn't as effective
as I'd like and if it is dangerous, I'd rather not take it..

Thanks,

Paula

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 17:32 (048686)

Paula--

Sorry to hear that the Celebrex hasn't worked for you. Do remember, though, that different drugs work for different people. I got no relief whatsoever from Vioxx (and a host of other NSAIDS), but Celebrex worked absolute wonders for me and I credit it with at least part of my recovery. Fortunately, I no longer need to take anything.

I'd be interested in reading the article, too, if anyone has a link to it.

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 17:48 (048690)

I found the article online. You can get to it at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/22/business/22VIOX.html

Paula A on 5/23/01 at hrmin (048691)

Nancy,

I am happy Celebrex worked for you. I should have stated that differently.
I meant to say it didn't work for me, not that it wouldn't work for anyone else. :)
Drugs definitely do work differently on each person.

Congratulations on finding things that worked for you..You are doing the
Active Release Therapy aren't you??

Smiles,

Paula

Paula A on 5/23/01 at 18:01 (048693)

Thanks, Nancy!! I just read it and since I have a family history of
heart disease, I will talk to my Doctor about changing to something
else..

Paula

Nancy N on 5/23/01 at 18:32 (048695)

Paula--

I figured that was what you meant, but thought we should clarify so as not to confuse any new people.

I'm actually not one of the Active Release folks. I took Celebrex for about 7 months, during which time I felt pretty good. I was in the OrthoWave study in NY at the time (I got the placebo treatment). I was also using the Acu-Flex regularly and I do think that helped to strengthen my feet a lot. While I was on the Celebrex, I got new orthotics, which I started wearing a few weeks before I stopped taking the Celebrex. I wasn't sure what would happen then, but I noticed almost no difference, so I'm not sure how much of my success was because of the Celebrex, and how much was because of the orthotics. But I'm not complaining! It took almost two years, but it seems to be behind me, at least for now.