Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks to Julie, Brian, Valerie, Steve & Tam

Posted by Denise D. on 5/24/01 at 01:49 (048732)

I hope y'all realize what it means to me to get words of encouragement. I appreciate you all so much, and I don't feel alone anymore!
Julie, thanks again for the suggestions about taping and asking my Pod. to test me for my over pronation, something I will discuss with him next Wednesday. I'm trying my best to gather as much info as I possibly can and to educate myself, and I owe a lot of thanks to everyone.
I don't want to change jobs if I can help it, I've finally found something that I truly enjoy, although I realize that my health and well being comes first. We are going to be closed for the entire month of July, so I'm hoping and praying that if I'm not well by then at least I'll have the month to give my foot a rest.
Val, you are a sweetheart, your kind words meant so much to me, and I hope that we can keep in touch.
I'm sure you all can relate to this, but I always dread getting up in the mornings because I don't want to deal with the pain. But because of this website, and of the caring people that make it possible, I will, and we all will get better!!!
Thanks to you all!!
Denise

Re: Thanks to Julie, Brian, Valerie, Steve & Tam

BrianG on 5/24/01 at 08:32 (048753)

Hi Denise,

I think your going about your treatment the right way. If I had it to do over again, I'm sure I would have changed jobs. About 7 years ago I woke up with some pain in my right heel. I called the doctors, and started down the road of PF. I never thought about Workman's comp until it was way too late. I've just worked through the progressivly worse pain, year after year. Definatly not the right thing to do. If only we had some insight into the future, right! :*)

Do what it takes to get your feet healed back up. Don't continue doing the same things every day that just agravate the pain. Good luck on the healing. Hopefully July will be a very good month for you.

BCG

Re: Brian, you said it all

Steve on 5/24/01 at 09:59 (048764)

Denise --- I can't improve upon Brian's words. Don't underestimate this. Take it seriously, & your prospects for full recovery should be excellent.

Valerie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048818)

Hi Denise.

I am glad to hear that you have found some solice in the advice from your friends here at heelspurs.com. We are all in this together, and please remember that we will be here whenever you need some advice, or if you just want to vent.

If you are going to continue working for the next month, is there any other position that you can work that will allow you to take it a little easier on your poor feet? My job as an assistant manager in retail would not allow me to sit down really at all, but if you can find a way, you should do it. If you can't sit down, at least consider taping your feet and using ice if it helps you at night after work. One trick that I used at work too, was to bring in a plastic pop bottle filled with water. Put that in the freezer (assuming you have one at work), and when you can take a 10 minute break, take off your shoe and sock and roll your foot over the bottle. The ice will help with the inflammation, and the bottle massages your foot, helping to loosen the tension. If you are able to do a gentle stretch and are sure you are using a safe technique, then you might also try stretching throughout the day... that helped me get through too.

I really hope you can get better before July, but if you don't, you might want to think long and hard about the long-term effects of staying on your feet while they are injured vs. the short-term of being able to work. Vicki has a good point... and Brian has really been there. I really thought I could get through, but finally broke down and surrendered to the pain. If you had a broken leg, would you still be walking on it? Heel pain is invisible, and can make you feel very alone and sad when you are with people who don't understand what you are going through. People don't seem to understand the difference between 'my feet hurt' and heelspurs/plantar fasciitis. Pain is your body's way of telling you SOMETHING IS WRONG I NEED TO STOP NOW... but sometimes it's hard to see that when you feel the weight of the world and the pressure to perform. Something to think about. It was very difficult for me to swallow my pride and take this time off. It is going to be even harder, as I approach the end of my short-term disability and seek long-term disability and give up my spot at my current job.

Sorry to go on and on. I am not trying to upset you, and don't want to sound like a broken record... I just really relate to your situation, and really wish I could help you feel better. I want you to be able to work without pain... but until you can, you need to look at the bigger picture. Just let me know if there is anything I can do for you. My email is linked to this message if you click on my name (in blue) at the top. Have a good day, and please take it easy.

Your friend, Val.

BrianG on 5/24/01 at 08:32 (048753)

Hi Denise,

I think your going about your treatment the right way. If I had it to do over again, I'm sure I would have changed jobs. About 7 years ago I woke up with some pain in my right heel. I called the doctors, and started down the road of PF. I never thought about Workman's comp until it was way too late. I've just worked through the progressivly worse pain, year after year. Definatly not the right thing to do. If only we had some insight into the future, right! :*)

Do what it takes to get your feet healed back up. Don't continue doing the same things every day that just agravate the pain. Good luck on the healing. Hopefully July will be a very good month for you.

BCG

Re: Brian, you said it all

Steve on 5/24/01 at 09:59 (048764)

Denise --- I can't improve upon Brian's words. Don't underestimate this. Take it seriously, & your prospects for full recovery should be excellent.

Valerie S on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048818)

Hi Denise.

I am glad to hear that you have found some solice in the advice from your friends here at heelspurs.com. We are all in this together, and please remember that we will be here whenever you need some advice, or if you just want to vent.

If you are going to continue working for the next month, is there any other position that you can work that will allow you to take it a little easier on your poor feet? My job as an assistant manager in retail would not allow me to sit down really at all, but if you can find a way, you should do it. If you can't sit down, at least consider taping your feet and using ice if it helps you at night after work. One trick that I used at work too, was to bring in a plastic pop bottle filled with water. Put that in the freezer (assuming you have one at work), and when you can take a 10 minute break, take off your shoe and sock and roll your foot over the bottle. The ice will help with the inflammation, and the bottle massages your foot, helping to loosen the tension. If you are able to do a gentle stretch and are sure you are using a safe technique, then you might also try stretching throughout the day... that helped me get through too.

I really hope you can get better before July, but if you don't, you might want to think long and hard about the long-term effects of staying on your feet while they are injured vs. the short-term of being able to work. Vicki has a good point... and Brian has really been there. I really thought I could get through, but finally broke down and surrendered to the pain. If you had a broken leg, would you still be walking on it? Heel pain is invisible, and can make you feel very alone and sad when you are with people who don't understand what you are going through. People don't seem to understand the difference between 'my feet hurt' and heelspurs/plantar fasciitis. Pain is your body's way of telling you SOMETHING IS WRONG I NEED TO STOP NOW... but sometimes it's hard to see that when you feel the weight of the world and the pressure to perform. Something to think about. It was very difficult for me to swallow my pride and take this time off. It is going to be even harder, as I approach the end of my short-term disability and seek long-term disability and give up my spot at my current job.

Sorry to go on and on. I am not trying to upset you, and don't want to sound like a broken record... I just really relate to your situation, and really wish I could help you feel better. I want you to be able to work without pain... but until you can, you need to look at the bigger picture. Just let me know if there is anything I can do for you. My email is linked to this message if you click on my name (in blue) at the top. Have a good day, and please take it easy.

Your friend, Val.