Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help-My pain is back!

Posted by Chris H on 5/24/01 at hrmin (048769)

I have had heel pain on and off in my right foot for a few years. Most recently the pain began mid 2000 sometime. I had a cortisone shot on Nov 2, this worked for less then 2 months and the pain came back. I went to PT and did many stretches at home as well as iced my heel regularly and wore a night splint. The pain became unbearable even with all of these interventions and I opted for another cortisone shot. This shot was more pain then anything I have ever experienced (much worse then the 3 previos cortisone shots that I've had over the years). This time the shot worked, and I felt no pain at all for 3 months. I'm now beginning to feel the pain come back. Although it is not yet to the point of being unbearable, it is getting worse every day.
Just for some added info, I had surgery to remove the peroneus brevis tendon in my left ankle on Nov 2, this too is not yet fully healed. As it began to get better and I started to walk normally, I began to have medial ankle pain. It seems that I have an extra piece of bone in my ankle and as a result of my foot moving differently after my surgery, this bone is now causing pressure on the posterior tib tendon. I don't know if the limping from one problem is aggravating the other, but I am finding it more and more difficult to lead a normal life as a result of these problems. I'm still dealing with my surgeon for my ankle problem, and although he is doing anything he can for my heel pain, there seems to be no real answers to alleviate this pain. Please help!

Re: Help-My pain is back!

Dr. Biehler on 5/24/01 at 15:08 (048797)

It sound like one problem is effecting the other. If the shots helped, it means your heeling then slowly re-injuring your self. You might need to be evaluated for a pair of 'functional' that will help control the forces that are continuing to hurt you. Dr. B.

Re: Help-My pain is back!

Dr. Biehler on 5/24/01 at 15:08 (048797)

It sound like one problem is effecting the other. If the shots helped, it means your heeling then slowly re-injuring your self. You might need to be evaluated for a pair of 'functional' that will help control the forces that are continuing to hurt you. Dr. B.