Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cyst vs. tumor in foot

Posted by Donna on 5/24/01 at 14:45 (048792)

Well, it has now been 9 1/2 weeks since I first 'hurt' my foot. Originally I went to a podiatrist who said I had a tear in my plantar fascia but I did research on the interent and my symptoms didn't seen to really match up so I requested a second opinion from my orthopedic (since I thought I hurt myself running at the gym). The ortho. diagnosed the injury as a stress fracture of my cuboid bone and kept me on crutches with a walking cast for 6 more weeks. I just went for my follow up and he took xrays and weaned me from my crutches and walking cast to stiff shoes and walking cast depending upon pain.

However, the bad news is that he discovered a cyst or tumor in my foot that looks to be the size of a quarter right in the cuboid bone area. He ordered a bone scan and a MRI. I am VERY nervous right now - he said if it is a tumor it is most likely benign but would have to be surgically removed and then a bone graft. If it is a cyst, just drained. Either way, the after affects of both would be crutches again and possibly casting/or to be off my feet.

Any one have any history with this?

Re: cyst vs. tumor in foot

Dr. Biehler on 5/24/01 at 15:05 (048796)

If it does turn out to be a benign tumor, it might be what had caused the fracture in the cuboid to begin with. Either way your results should be very good after treatment. Dr.B.

Re: cyst vs. tumor in foot

Dr. Biehler on 5/24/01 at 15:05 (048796)

If it does turn out to be a benign tumor, it might be what had caused the fracture in the cuboid to begin with. Either way your results should be very good after treatment. Dr.B.