Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fallen Arch / Lisfranc's / Fusion Surgery??

Posted by Pete on 5/24/01 at 18:08 (048812)

I'm a 34 year old male and have been developing a fallen arch
in my left foot. The condition stems from a Lisfranc injury
I sustained 15 years ago. The last five years have seen most of
the 'falling' occur.

I don't experience much pain at all, although I do get a somewhat
uncomfortable numbness after an active day. I wear my orthotics
religiously!

I've received a few different opinions over the years; one Podiatrist
felt that I should never walk over two miles ever again in order
to avoid fusion surgery, while a different Dr. believed my level
of activity should be based on the pain I experience, and that surgery
could be avoided with conscientious orthotic use. (I highly respect
both of these gentlemen).

I'm an active person: although I gave up running three years ago I
am a competitive cyclist amongst other pursuits.

So, I guess my question is that a) I'm a little confused after the differing opinions I've received b) how life altering is ankle fusion
surgery c) if I need to have the surgery, at what age is the best to
get it all else being equal d)if I forgoe surgery will my foot be so
arthritic anyway that I won't be doing any square dancing at the old folks home.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this..I apologize
if this is the wrong forum to post this meandering message.

Re: Fallen Arch / Lisfranc's / Fusion Surgery??

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 21:20 (048822)

Pete - I will be interested to hear the doctors response, you and I seem to share a similar condition. My arch problems begain when I was 11 (I'm 32 now). My doctor has talked about 'arch reconstruction' -but he has suggested putting it off as long as possible. I am actually going in just to discuss the surgery, (what it would mean etc) next week. I will post what I learn as well.

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 21:29 (048825)

Pete - if you don't get a reply here from the doctors - you may want to copy your message and repost it into the 'Ask the Doctors' board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:35 (048857)

The purpose of an ankle fusion is to reduce motion in the joint that is causing pain. Orthosis control is provided to help to reduce the abnormal motion in the foot and ankle when you are walking.

So if you are not having pain. The orthosis are controlling the pain then no surgery is needed.

Ankle fusion is a joint destructive procedure that sole purpose is too eliminate pain in that joint.

Now if there are other tendons that are damaged and contributing to this problem such as the posterior tibial tendon then surgical repair is a consideration.

I hope that this is the information that you are looking for!!

john h on 5/29/01 at 09:11 (049208)

what kind of limitations can one expect after an ankle fusion dr z? sounds like something to avoid until the pain gets very bad.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/06/01 at 14:57 (050089)

Alot of limitations. The ankle won't bend any more. This is something to avoid unless you can't walk at all without pain

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 21:20 (048822)

Pete - I will be interested to hear the doctors response, you and I seem to share a similar condition. My arch problems begain when I was 11 (I'm 32 now). My doctor has talked about 'arch reconstruction' -but he has suggested putting it off as long as possible. I am actually going in just to discuss the surgery, (what it would mean etc) next week. I will post what I learn as well.

wendyn on 5/24/01 at 21:29 (048825)

Pete - if you don't get a reply here from the doctors - you may want to copy your message and repost it into the 'Ask the Doctors' board.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:35 (048857)

The purpose of an ankle fusion is to reduce motion in the joint that is causing pain. Orthosis control is provided to help to reduce the abnormal motion in the foot and ankle when you are walking.

So if you are not having pain. The orthosis are controlling the pain then no surgery is needed.

Ankle fusion is a joint destructive procedure that sole purpose is too eliminate pain in that joint.

Now if there are other tendons that are damaged and contributing to this problem such as the posterior tibial tendon then surgical repair is a consideration.

I hope that this is the information that you are looking for!!

john h on 5/29/01 at 09:11 (049208)

what kind of limitations can one expect after an ankle fusion dr z? sounds like something to avoid until the pain gets very bad.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/06/01 at 14:57 (050089)

Alot of limitations. The ankle won't bend any more. This is something to avoid unless you can't walk at all without pain