Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new balance sl2 last

Posted by joshs on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048834)

I just purchased then returned a pair of New Balance 587 running shoes. This model along with the NB 1121 are advertised as NB's serious motion control monsters. They are built on NB's SL 2 last which is semi curved, high in the instep and very roomy (nearly oblique) in the toe box. They fit very well but I soon noticed that my orthotics were driving hard into the sole of my foot. This SL 2 last is also sculpted in the midsole with a raised arch which does not permit downward flexion of an orthotic (well, at least not mine). The result is an excessively strong pressure from below that seemed to aggravate my PF symptoms in about fifteen minutes.
New Balance advertises this last as being great for orthotics.

Has anyone else noticed this? Otherwise this shoe was nearly ideal for my purposes, it's hard to find a shoe with such a roomy toe, flexibility in forefoot and good support and accomodation for an orthotic.

Anyone found that perfect shoe or have any recommendations?

Re: new balance sl2 last

joshs on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048835)

Here's a link to the page on NewBalance's site that shows the difference between their SL1 and SL2 lasts. [www.newbalance.com/shop/performance_fit/widths.html] Note the arch contour of the SL 2. When I saw this image initially I thought it was for contrast purposes, but the midsole is actually shaped like this.

Interestingly, the SL 2 last is described by most shoe experts as a straight last and indeed if you look at the sole of the shoe it looks awful straight, but this page says otherwise. The SL 1 is described on this page as a straight last while most experts describe it as curved, go figure.

Re: new balance sl2 last/Dr. Z?

Nancy N on 5/25/01 at 08:57 (048851)

Josh--

I have the 1121s, the men's shoe, and my pedorthist recommended it to me both for the motion control and for my huge feet--I've had trouble finding shoes that don't pinch my little toes. It's interesting that you've posted this link, because I've had some trouble since I started wearing these shoes--I've attributed it to tying the left shoe too tight, which I do know I was doing, but Dr. Z has suggested for a while that it might be that the orthotic is too high in the shoe. I only have this problem in the left shoe, though, which confounds me. I am wearing my Birk sandals until I feel like the irritation on the top of my left foot has gone down enough to try the other shoes again--I tried them one day last week and was fine, but the next day, any contact with that area of my foot just drove me nuts. My right foot (the PF foot) is still absolutely fine.

Anyway, I'm hoping Dr. Z will see this post and take a look at the link so he can offer an opinion.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:38 (048859)

Sounds like the orthosis or the shoe. Would need to take a look at the shoe with your foot inside to be sure. A good shoe fit is very important for pain free feet. or in your case foot

john a on 5/25/01 at 11:15 (048865)

Yes indeed josh. I've have the same problem with the sl2 last NB800 (now 801) walking shoe. Orthotics don't seem to work well with them. It seems to me you want the footbed pretty much flat if you intend to wear it with an orthotic. I still don't get why NB says the sl2 last is good for orthotics. Perhaps they mean it's good as a substitute for an orthotic?

Nancy N on 5/25/01 at 11:40 (048869)

I will be sure to bring them along on the 15th, especially if I'm not feeling better by then (though I certainly hope to be, it's just taking a REALLY long time!)

Donna SL on 5/25/01 at 12:04 (048873)

Josh,

I thought it was strange to have an SL2 last in a motion control shoe that was made for someone that would usually have a medium to flat arch, and needed pronation control The SL2 last is great for a high arch. I have an high arch, and the SL2's fit is a good for me, but I couldn't wear those models because of the severe anti-pronation control. I would think this arch would be too much with an orthotic on top of it, and a shoe wirh a flatter interior would be better. I could never wear the SL2 last with orthotics, even with my high arch, because there was too much arch pressure.

Have you tried wearing the shoe without any orhotics? The shoe has enough support and control in it already, and it may be ok on it's own, or maybe just with an additional softer OTC added to it. If it starts to wear down a little, then you might need to add your orthotics.

Donna

Re: Thanks all

joshs on 5/26/01 at hrmin (049009)

Thanks all for replying to SL 2 post. It's very nice to get feedback. Sometimes one notices things that are not 'supposed' to be there and has a hard time trusting one's own judgement and conclusions. I'm still lookin' for the perfect shoe.

joshs on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048835)

Here's a link to the page on NewBalance's site that shows the difference between their SL1 and SL2 lasts. [www.newbalance.com/shop/performance_fit/widths.html] Note the arch contour of the SL 2. When I saw this image initially I thought it was for contrast purposes, but the midsole is actually shaped like this.

Interestingly, the SL 2 last is described by most shoe experts as a straight last and indeed if you look at the sole of the shoe it looks awful straight, but this page says otherwise. The SL 1 is described on this page as a straight last while most experts describe it as curved, go figure.

Nancy N on 5/25/01 at 08:57 (048851)

Josh--

I have the 1121s, the men's shoe, and my pedorthist recommended it to me both for the motion control and for my huge feet--I've had trouble finding shoes that don't pinch my little toes. It's interesting that you've posted this link, because I've had some trouble since I started wearing these shoes--I've attributed it to tying the left shoe too tight, which I do know I was doing, but Dr. Z has suggested for a while that it might be that the orthotic is too high in the shoe. I only have this problem in the left shoe, though, which confounds me. I am wearing my Birk sandals until I feel like the irritation on the top of my left foot has gone down enough to try the other shoes again--I tried them one day last week and was fine, but the next day, any contact with that area of my foot just drove me nuts. My right foot (the PF foot) is still absolutely fine.

Anyway, I'm hoping Dr. Z will see this post and take a look at the link so he can offer an opinion.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:38 (048859)

Sounds like the orthosis or the shoe. Would need to take a look at the shoe with your foot inside to be sure. A good shoe fit is very important for pain free feet. or in your case foot

john a on 5/25/01 at 11:15 (048865)

Yes indeed josh. I've have the same problem with the sl2 last NB800 (now 801) walking shoe. Orthotics don't seem to work well with them. It seems to me you want the footbed pretty much flat if you intend to wear it with an orthotic. I still don't get why NB says the sl2 last is good for orthotics. Perhaps they mean it's good as a substitute for an orthotic?

Nancy N on 5/25/01 at 11:40 (048869)

I will be sure to bring them along on the 15th, especially if I'm not feeling better by then (though I certainly hope to be, it's just taking a REALLY long time!)

Donna SL on 5/25/01 at 12:04 (048873)

Josh,

I thought it was strange to have an SL2 last in a motion control shoe that was made for someone that would usually have a medium to flat arch, and needed pronation control The SL2 last is great for a high arch. I have an high arch, and the SL2's fit is a good for me, but I couldn't wear those models because of the severe anti-pronation control. I would think this arch would be too much with an orthotic on top of it, and a shoe wirh a flatter interior would be better. I could never wear the SL2 last with orthotics, even with my high arch, because there was too much arch pressure.

Have you tried wearing the shoe without any orhotics? The shoe has enough support and control in it already, and it may be ok on it's own, or maybe just with an additional softer OTC added to it. If it starts to wear down a little, then you might need to add your orthotics.

Donna

Re: Thanks all

joshs on 5/26/01 at hrmin (049009)

Thanks all for replying to SL 2 post. It's very nice to get feedback. Sometimes one notices things that are not 'supposed' to be there and has a hard time trusting one's own judgement and conclusions. I'm still lookin' for the perfect shoe.