Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hard lump on back of heel

Posted by Pat on 5/25/01 at 03:12 (048842)

I have a hard lump(it feels like a bone) on the back of my heel. The location is where you might get a blister from shoes. It has been there for about 12 months and is very painful. Pain is the worse first in the morning. Any ideas on what this might be.
Thanks,
Pat

Re: Hard lump on back of heel

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:37 (048858)

Hi,

My foot is hurting just reading your post. The lump could be a wart in the skin. more likely bone spur at the insertion of the achilles tendon.

Pat L on 5/25/01 at 14:23 (048886)

Dr Zuckerman thank you for your prompt reply.What is the normal treatment for a bone spur.Many thanks for your help Pat L

Carole W. on 5/25/01 at 19:58 (048913)

You have (probably) a calcaneal spur. I had one removed 3 weeks ago. I Also had inflamed bursa sack. Tried excercises and drugs. Still have some pain and awful limp. Hopefully, in a few more weeks, I will be better. Limping has me exhausted!

Pat L on 5/25/01 at 20:53 (048920)

Carol W Thanks for your note it was good of you to send me the information Good luck with your problem Pat L

bg cped on 5/25/01 at 22:25 (048934)

Try to stop wearing dress shoes or slip on shoes and get a pair of running shoes or cross trainers. The elevation in the heel may help anf the higher counter on the shoe wont rub on the hot spot. If you dont do that it can get worse. Try wearing a sport sandal that has no contact with the back of your heel, wear it for 2 weeks and see what happens

Pat L on 5/26/01 at 07:13 (048952)

Thank you for the information about the footwear it makes good sence and I am going to give it a try ,once more thank you Pat L

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 10:37 (048858)

Hi,

My foot is hurting just reading your post. The lump could be a wart in the skin. more likely bone spur at the insertion of the achilles tendon.

Pat L on 5/25/01 at 14:23 (048886)

Dr Zuckerman thank you for your prompt reply.What is the normal treatment for a bone spur.Many thanks for your help Pat L

Carole W. on 5/25/01 at 19:58 (048913)

You have (probably) a calcaneal spur. I had one removed 3 weeks ago. I Also had inflamed bursa sack. Tried excercises and drugs. Still have some pain and awful limp. Hopefully, in a few more weeks, I will be better. Limping has me exhausted!

Pat L on 5/25/01 at 20:53 (048920)

Carol W Thanks for your note it was good of you to send me the information Good luck with your problem Pat L

bg cped on 5/25/01 at 22:25 (048934)

Try to stop wearing dress shoes or slip on shoes and get a pair of running shoes or cross trainers. The elevation in the heel may help anf the higher counter on the shoe wont rub on the hot spot. If you dont do that it can get worse. Try wearing a sport sandal that has no contact with the back of your heel, wear it for 2 weeks and see what happens

Pat L on 5/26/01 at 07:13 (048952)

Thank you for the information about the footwear it makes good sence and I am going to give it a try ,once more thank you Pat L