Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where are you, valerie k s ?? Wondering about you...

Posted by Valerie S on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048849)

valerie k s ...

Been thinking of you. I hope you are doing well and recovering from your surgery. It's been over a month since you've posted here, I think, and I am hoping that is because you are out having so much fun... just wondering how you are doing. If you read this and get a chance, let us know what's going on & that you are OK...

From your pal, Val.

Re: Still Here

Valerie K S on 5/25/01 at 20:28 (048917)

Hi Val!

It was good to hear from you, I had posted a message to you not too long ago but I guess you missed it. As you know, I had PF surgery on April 4th. I still haven't returned to work, yeah! I have my next Dr. appt on May 29th. I am hoping to get another two weeks off and that will run into a 2 week vacation I had scheduled before surgery. It would help to have another month to re-coup. My right foot felt real good there for awhile. I was using the walker and thought that I had no more pain. I was wrong. My husband had surgery for vericose veins in his leg on May 7th and that's when it went downhill for me. I know that I have been up on my foot way too much taking care of him. He is better now and can walk and needs me less. For awhile there I thought that I would never be able to do without the walker. It was like learning to walk again, I was so scared to put any weight on my foot. I do walk well without any assistance and I am wearing walking shoes instead of the cam boot. The mornings still feel like they did before surgery though. I'm kind of discouraged right now. I will have lots of questions for the Dr. next week. The incision has healed extremely well, you can barely see it. The cam boot was pretty restricting and caused muscle tightness in my calf that sometimes felt like a charly horse. Let me tell you, my Dr. had me take another xray and show it to him at my last appt. I read the results and it said that there was a small heel spur formation. The Dr. kind of brushed it off and said that it was very very small. I hope that is not the reason I am still having pain. I didn't have the nerve to ask him if why it wasn't removed during the PF surgery. I felt wrong questioning him. I know that sounds stupid. Anyhow, write back and tell me how your doing. Take care.

Your Pal Val K S

Julie on 5/26/01 at 02:09 (048941)

Hello Valerie KS

There is an excellent article on heel pain in the current issue of Podiatry Today. Go to

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/

and click on 'current issue'

I'm suggesting this because it might reassure you. The first thing the author, Dr John H. Walter, DPM, MS does is to clear up three myths about heel pain. Myth Number One is that heel pain is caused by a heel spur. I believe this is now generally accepted, and I think it would explain why your doctor didn't remove the spur when he did your surgery. There would have been no need to, and removing it might have resulted in more post-surgery pain.

Probably the reason you're still having pain is that it is still very early days - six weeks is awfully little time. It's long enough to heal the incision, but definitely not long enough to heal the underlying tissues.

You certainly wouldn't have been 'wrong' to question him, and for real reassurance, I hope you'll give him a call, tell him this has been worrying you, and ask him why he didn't remove the spur. It probably never occurred to him that you would be concerned, but if you ask him I'm sure he will.

All the best, Julie

Valerie K S on 5/29/01 at 21:01 (049284)

Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for writing to me. You were right on target with your advice. I went to my Dr. today and he did say that it was still too soon to really feel great. He took me off work another four weeks and wants me to try and not use the Cam Boot anymore. I will read the article you suggested after writing this to you. He also said that the scar tissue will start to move around about the third month (just like you said) and that is usually the 'magic' time for this type of surgery. It was really nice of you to take time out of your today to write to me, please know that I truly appreciated your comments.

Cheers,

Valerie

Valerie K S on 5/25/01 at 20:28 (048917)

Hi Val!

It was good to hear from you, I had posted a message to you not too long ago but I guess you missed it. As you know, I had PF surgery on April 4th. I still haven't returned to work, yeah! I have my next Dr. appt on May 29th. I am hoping to get another two weeks off and that will run into a 2 week vacation I had scheduled before surgery. It would help to have another month to re-coup. My right foot felt real good there for awhile. I was using the walker and thought that I had no more pain. I was wrong. My husband had surgery for vericose veins in his leg on May 7th and that's when it went downhill for me. I know that I have been up on my foot way too much taking care of him. He is better now and can walk and needs me less. For awhile there I thought that I would never be able to do without the walker. It was like learning to walk again, I was so scared to put any weight on my foot. I do walk well without any assistance and I am wearing walking shoes instead of the cam boot. The mornings still feel like they did before surgery though. I'm kind of discouraged right now. I will have lots of questions for the Dr. next week. The incision has healed extremely well, you can barely see it. The cam boot was pretty restricting and caused muscle tightness in my calf that sometimes felt like a charly horse. Let me tell you, my Dr. had me take another xray and show it to him at my last appt. I read the results and it said that there was a small heel spur formation. The Dr. kind of brushed it off and said that it was very very small. I hope that is not the reason I am still having pain. I didn't have the nerve to ask him if why it wasn't removed during the PF surgery. I felt wrong questioning him. I know that sounds stupid. Anyhow, write back and tell me how your doing. Take care.

Your Pal Val K S

Julie on 5/26/01 at 02:09 (048941)

Hello Valerie KS

There is an excellent article on heel pain in the current issue of Podiatry Today. Go to

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/

and click on 'current issue'

I'm suggesting this because it might reassure you. The first thing the author, Dr John H. Walter, DPM, MS does is to clear up three myths about heel pain. Myth Number One is that heel pain is caused by a heel spur. I believe this is now generally accepted, and I think it would explain why your doctor didn't remove the spur when he did your surgery. There would have been no need to, and removing it might have resulted in more post-surgery pain.

Probably the reason you're still having pain is that it is still very early days - six weeks is awfully little time. It's long enough to heal the incision, but definitely not long enough to heal the underlying tissues.

You certainly wouldn't have been 'wrong' to question him, and for real reassurance, I hope you'll give him a call, tell him this has been worrying you, and ask him why he didn't remove the spur. It probably never occurred to him that you would be concerned, but if you ask him I'm sure he will.

All the best, Julie

Valerie K S on 5/29/01 at 21:01 (049284)

Hi Julie!

Thanks so much for writing to me. You were right on target with your advice. I went to my Dr. today and he did say that it was still too soon to really feel great. He took me off work another four weeks and wants me to try and not use the Cam Boot anymore. I will read the article you suggested after writing this to you. He also said that the scar tissue will start to move around about the third month (just like you said) and that is usually the 'magic' time for this type of surgery. It was really nice of you to take time out of your today to write to me, please know that I truly appreciated your comments.

Cheers,

Valerie