Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

discouraged/7 weeks post op

Posted by Jen on 5/25/01 at 10:42 (048860)

Hi all,
Wondering if you could share some experiences or words of encouragement. 7 weeks post op tts and pf release and still in cam boot if i leave the house, and pain still with walking just ten minutes. Same pain pre-op (burning) no changes. Ugh

Jen

Re: discouraged/7 weeks post op

GinaC on 5/25/01 at 11:13 (048863)

Hi Jen,
I'm 10 weeks post op now (pf release, tt release, heel spur removal). At 7 weeks, I was just starting to be fully weight-bearing and had some painful times during that transition. If I knew I would have to walk any distance when away from home, I would use one crutch. Was discouraged and still having pain (esp in plantar area; did not have burning pain) at my 8 week check-up. Dr. said it could be anywhere from 2-6 months for healing. I have tried very hard to 'listen to the pain' and ice and rest when my foot hurts. Weight-bearing is a stress on the healing foot; for me it caused some swelling and an increase in pain. Had a couple very painful days this week, followed by the novel experience of being pain-free for part of the time yesterday. I'm sure I will continue to have ups and downs as I feel I still have a ways to go.

For me, patience has been the biggest challenge post-surgery--worse than crutches, elevating, being restricted, etc. But you do have reason to hope because you have plenty of time left for improvement. I try to tell myself that how I feel at this moment is not as important as how I will feel 4 months from now; want to keep my eye on the prize. Of course, there were lots of times I was discouraged and less-than-hopeful. (had a period where I thought I would never be able to walk to grocery shop, for example, but I can do that now). And I may still have those negative times in the future. But I continue to take things day-by-day. You have my best wishes for a full recovery. Don't give up! Gina

Regina Brown on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048911)

Hello Gina,
My name is Regina. I have just read your post to Jen and I have just as of 3 weeks ago had a EPF surgery on my left foot and am still having quite a bit of pain while trying to walk and am beginning to feel discouraged myself.Is it way to soon to be getting discouraged.I had to make an emergency visit to my dr.yesterday due to pain while trying to walk.he gave me an inflammatory injection to help relieve some of it.I have been using crutches for the past couple of weeks and he has told me to come OFF of these crutches that if I shouldn't my fascia muscle will re attach itself and i would be in same pain as before.I also cannot walk well enough yet to grocery shop,etc.just yet but Have been trying to do so anyway.I am wondering if I am doing myself more harm than good by continuing to try to do things instead of just continuing to rest more.both of my feet hurt me extremely bad today because of trying to do some things and I finally STOPPED and got off my feet and the both eased up quite a bit.Please anyone that reads this e-mail me concerning experiences and give me some advise on everything.I would e-mail any one back.Thanks ever so much,Regina I hope you e-mail me Gina.

Re: discouraged/7 weeks post op-Regina

GinaC on 5/25/01 at 22:44 (048935)

Hi Regina,
Your surgery was somewhat different than mine. You had EPF and I had an open procedure to release the PF, tarsal tunnel entrapment, and heel spur removal, which, I believe, is a more extensive surgery. I posted what my doctor told me about my surgery and healing times.
I chose my surgeon based on his expertise and track record with this surgery. After 4+ years of PF and numerous pods and orthos, I also felt I trusted this doctor (ortho specializing in foot/ankle). I trusted him to do the surgery and to advise me what to do afterwards. Unfortunately, there were plenty of doctors that I didn't feel I could trust. Hopefully, you also trust your doctor and his advice. If you feel your doctor is pushing you to do things you aren't ready to do (lose the crutches, etc.), maybe you can discuss your reservations with him and ask him to modify what he is asking of you. I hope he would be willing to listen to your feelings and to your pain. There are so many different post-op instructions given that it's hard to know which ones are absolutely right. I guess you just have to work with the doctor that did your surgery and ask him to listen to how you are feeling. Maybe you could post your concerns on the Ask a Doctor board as well. Take care. gina

Jen on 5/25/01 at 22:46 (048936)

Thank you Gina for your encourgaing words. I agree patience has been the worst part...I'm sick of planning every step ahead in advance 'Can I walk in the grocery store? Can I go to my brother's baseball game? Can I go to the mall? I just want to walk again without thinking of it. I'm sure you understand. I have days where I have no pain at all cuz I just stay in the house, but it seems when I step out to do the smallest thing, like food shopping, my foot begins to burn even in the boot. I've been in the boot for 6 weeks now!!! and can't wait to wear normal shoes again. I question if that will ever happen or if I'll ever walk 'normal' again. Days like today, I'm so angry and question 'why me' and I know I could be worse off, but I was so active and athletic and now I'm stuck and I feel like my life has been on hold for 3 years and I thought with surgery, I would have felt some relief by now. I'm sure in 6 mos my tune might be different, but I wish I could have had instant results, because like you all,we have suffered enough already. I understand that I need to take it day by day, but it's sooo hard when I just want to get out and start my life again. Thank you

Jen

brenda j on 5/27/01 at 20:31 (049083)

I have been a year and a half and STILL having trouble. Any one that reads this-DONT HAVE THIS DONE. I'm in much more pain then when I started. Ruined my life-I use to walk 3 miles a day, not any more

Re: pre-op/post-op

GinaC on 5/28/01 at 10:10 (049107)

I decided on surgery because my mobility was so very limited that I really didn't think it could get much worse, even if the surgery failed. I waited more than 4 years with PF before choosing surgery. I also tried every other treatment option, including Ossatron/ESWT.

If I had been able to approximate a normal day's activities OR if there was any sign that I was improving, I wouldn't have chosen surgery. Since I was steadily getting worse, developing Tarsal Tunnel, and unable to walk much anyways, I did not feel I was risking much by having surgery.

My surgeon also suggested that many surgeries fail because the doctor performs the procedure indiscriminately, without proper screening of patients to select those who are likely to by helped by it.

I think each person needs to think long and hard before opting for sugery.

BrianG on 6/03/01 at 09:06 (049739)

Hi Brenda,

Just wondering what type of surgery you had, and how long you had the heel pain before getting the surgery?

Thanks
BCG

GinaC on 5/25/01 at 11:13 (048863)

Hi Jen,
I'm 10 weeks post op now (pf release, tt release, heel spur removal). At 7 weeks, I was just starting to be fully weight-bearing and had some painful times during that transition. If I knew I would have to walk any distance when away from home, I would use one crutch. Was discouraged and still having pain (esp in plantar area; did not have burning pain) at my 8 week check-up. Dr. said it could be anywhere from 2-6 months for healing. I have tried very hard to 'listen to the pain' and ice and rest when my foot hurts. Weight-bearing is a stress on the healing foot; for me it caused some swelling and an increase in pain. Had a couple very painful days this week, followed by the novel experience of being pain-free for part of the time yesterday. I'm sure I will continue to have ups and downs as I feel I still have a ways to go.

For me, patience has been the biggest challenge post-surgery--worse than crutches, elevating, being restricted, etc. But you do have reason to hope because you have plenty of time left for improvement. I try to tell myself that how I feel at this moment is not as important as how I will feel 4 months from now; want to keep my eye on the prize. Of course, there were lots of times I was discouraged and less-than-hopeful. (had a period where I thought I would never be able to walk to grocery shop, for example, but I can do that now). And I may still have those negative times in the future. But I continue to take things day-by-day. You have my best wishes for a full recovery. Don't give up! Gina

Regina Brown on 5/25/01 at hrmin (048911)

Hello Gina,
My name is Regina. I have just read your post to Jen and I have just as of 3 weeks ago had a EPF surgery on my left foot and am still having quite a bit of pain while trying to walk and am beginning to feel discouraged myself.Is it way to soon to be getting discouraged.I had to make an emergency visit to my dr.yesterday due to pain while trying to walk.he gave me an inflammatory injection to help relieve some of it.I have been using crutches for the past couple of weeks and he has told me to come OFF of these crutches that if I shouldn't my fascia muscle will re attach itself and i would be in same pain as before.I also cannot walk well enough yet to grocery shop,etc.just yet but Have been trying to do so anyway.I am wondering if I am doing myself more harm than good by continuing to try to do things instead of just continuing to rest more.both of my feet hurt me extremely bad today because of trying to do some things and I finally STOPPED and got off my feet and the both eased up quite a bit.Please anyone that reads this e-mail me concerning experiences and give me some advise on everything.I would e-mail any one back.Thanks ever so much,Regina I hope you e-mail me Gina.

Re: discouraged/7 weeks post op-Regina

GinaC on 5/25/01 at 22:44 (048935)

Hi Regina,
Your surgery was somewhat different than mine. You had EPF and I had an open procedure to release the PF, tarsal tunnel entrapment, and heel spur removal, which, I believe, is a more extensive surgery. I posted what my doctor told me about my surgery and healing times.
I chose my surgeon based on his expertise and track record with this surgery. After 4+ years of PF and numerous pods and orthos, I also felt I trusted this doctor (ortho specializing in foot/ankle). I trusted him to do the surgery and to advise me what to do afterwards. Unfortunately, there were plenty of doctors that I didn't feel I could trust. Hopefully, you also trust your doctor and his advice. If you feel your doctor is pushing you to do things you aren't ready to do (lose the crutches, etc.), maybe you can discuss your reservations with him and ask him to modify what he is asking of you. I hope he would be willing to listen to your feelings and to your pain. There are so many different post-op instructions given that it's hard to know which ones are absolutely right. I guess you just have to work with the doctor that did your surgery and ask him to listen to how you are feeling. Maybe you could post your concerns on the Ask a Doctor board as well. Take care. gina

Jen on 5/25/01 at 22:46 (048936)

Thank you Gina for your encourgaing words. I agree patience has been the worst part...I'm sick of planning every step ahead in advance 'Can I walk in the grocery store? Can I go to my brother's baseball game? Can I go to the mall? I just want to walk again without thinking of it. I'm sure you understand. I have days where I have no pain at all cuz I just stay in the house, but it seems when I step out to do the smallest thing, like food shopping, my foot begins to burn even in the boot. I've been in the boot for 6 weeks now!!! and can't wait to wear normal shoes again. I question if that will ever happen or if I'll ever walk 'normal' again. Days like today, I'm so angry and question 'why me' and I know I could be worse off, but I was so active and athletic and now I'm stuck and I feel like my life has been on hold for 3 years and I thought with surgery, I would have felt some relief by now. I'm sure in 6 mos my tune might be different, but I wish I could have had instant results, because like you all,we have suffered enough already. I understand that I need to take it day by day, but it's sooo hard when I just want to get out and start my life again. Thank you

Jen

brenda j on 5/27/01 at 20:31 (049083)

I have been a year and a half and STILL having trouble. Any one that reads this-DONT HAVE THIS DONE. I'm in much more pain then when I started. Ruined my life-I use to walk 3 miles a day, not any more

Re: pre-op/post-op

GinaC on 5/28/01 at 10:10 (049107)

I decided on surgery because my mobility was so very limited that I really didn't think it could get much worse, even if the surgery failed. I waited more than 4 years with PF before choosing surgery. I also tried every other treatment option, including Ossatron/ESWT.

If I had been able to approximate a normal day's activities OR if there was any sign that I was improving, I wouldn't have chosen surgery. Since I was steadily getting worse, developing Tarsal Tunnel, and unable to walk much anyways, I did not feel I was risking much by having surgery.

My surgeon also suggested that many surgeries fail because the doctor performs the procedure indiscriminately, without proper screening of patients to select those who are likely to by helped by it.

I think each person needs to think long and hard before opting for sugery.

BrianG on 6/03/01 at 09:06 (049739)

Hi Brenda,

Just wondering what type of surgery you had, and how long you had the heel pain before getting the surgery?

Thanks
BCG