Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone scan done, back in a cast

Posted by Sonja on 5/25/01 at 12:50 (048878)

Well, I went in for the results of my bone scan. They did both feet so they could compare. My right, the bad foot, they said had several fractures and 'anomolies' ( I don't know what that means.)That the top of foot had a high uptake. I don't understand any of it, I just know it hurts like crazy. They put me in a cast for 6 weeks. Do you think that once it heals, that will be it, or is this going to be an ongoin problem. The stress fractures, that is. Will it continue to break. Was this caused from too much cortisone? I had 4 or 5 shots given in the heal by a Podiatrist. I'm just worried about long term. I already had PF surgery and was put through the ringer with that. I don't want my bones falling apart now. Thank you so much for any info.
Sonja

Re: Bone scan done, back in a cast

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 13:11 (048880)

Have you been told if the fracture are from osteoporosis. What was the explanation for the fracture. Have you had dexascan testing

Sonja on 5/25/01 at 15:46 (048893)

They said it was not osteoporosis, or arthritis. I am 30 years old. The other foot was perfectly fine. They did not give me an explanation for the fractures.They just said there was a lot of 'uptake' and anomolies, and something was very wrong. I had gone to them with this pain and they ordered a nerve conduction test and bone scan. The nerve conduction came out fine. I haven't had dexascan. Don't even know what that is. This is very frustrating. What do you think? Thanks again.

Laurie R on 5/25/01 at 16:54 (048898)

Hi Sonja, I know you are asking the doctor's these questions ,but I just wnated to tell you that I'm very sorry to hear that you are going through this. I hope after the 6 weeks in the cast, that your foot will be all better. The pain must be terrible.My very best to you and a speedy recovery... Laurie R

Sonja on 5/25/01 at 17:29 (048901)

Thank you so much, Laurie. You are very kind.

Donna on 5/27/01 at 10:36 (049041)

Sonja, I have recently come out of my walking cast for a stress fracture in my cuboid bone in my left foot and am only 29 years old. I have been athletic my whole life and just from running on a tread mill I got a stress fracture. I was told it appears that I have a low bone density and that it is crucial that I start taking calcium supplements, etc. I have a follow up MRI and bone scan for something else they found at my follow up appt. (cyst or tumor) that could have contributed to this injury but my doctor said that for someone at my age to have an injury like this without any certain type of trauma causing it that it should be a signal to me about osteoporosis. ONce I have my MRI and bone scan for this other issue, I have to have a bone density test from my PCP to look for early signs of osteoporosis.

I know this is frustrating - I can feel your pain (literally and figuratively).

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Nancy M on 5/27/01 at 20:58 (049084)

Donna, I also had a stress fracture in my cuboid bone left foot last year. I was in a hard cast for two weeks and then a soft cast and cam boot for two week, four weeks total with no weight. After that it was still the soft cast and cam boot with weight as I could tolerate. In total I had something on my foot for five months. Don't know how I got the stress fracture. We found it by doing a bone scan. I've also had a bone density test done and no osteoporosis. My feet problems started in September/October 1997. Since then I've had EPF surgery on both feet, 3 neuromoas removed (2 left - 1 right), 2 stress fractures and just five weeks ago I had surgery for sinus tarsi syndrome (like carple tunnel, but in foot). Doing great from all surgeries. This all started when I decided to start walking for exercise!!!!

Nancy M in AZ

Sonja on 5/28/01 at 00:07 (049085)

I sure do appreciate the imput. Thank you. I was checked for Osteoporosis and they said it was fine. I take calcium. And All these foot problems started in November 1999. I havent had a painless step since and don't know when it will end. I hope the best for both of you !

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/25/01 at 13:11 (048880)

Have you been told if the fracture are from osteoporosis. What was the explanation for the fracture. Have you had dexascan testing

Sonja on 5/25/01 at 15:46 (048893)

They said it was not osteoporosis, or arthritis. I am 30 years old. The other foot was perfectly fine. They did not give me an explanation for the fractures.They just said there was a lot of 'uptake' and anomolies, and something was very wrong. I had gone to them with this pain and they ordered a nerve conduction test and bone scan. The nerve conduction came out fine. I haven't had dexascan. Don't even know what that is. This is very frustrating. What do you think? Thanks again.

Laurie R on 5/25/01 at 16:54 (048898)

Hi Sonja, I know you are asking the doctor's these questions ,but I just wnated to tell you that I'm very sorry to hear that you are going through this. I hope after the 6 weeks in the cast, that your foot will be all better. The pain must be terrible.My very best to you and a speedy recovery... Laurie R

Sonja on 5/25/01 at 17:29 (048901)

Thank you so much, Laurie. You are very kind.

Donna on 5/27/01 at 10:36 (049041)

Sonja, I have recently come out of my walking cast for a stress fracture in my cuboid bone in my left foot and am only 29 years old. I have been athletic my whole life and just from running on a tread mill I got a stress fracture. I was told it appears that I have a low bone density and that it is crucial that I start taking calcium supplements, etc. I have a follow up MRI and bone scan for something else they found at my follow up appt. (cyst or tumor) that could have contributed to this injury but my doctor said that for someone at my age to have an injury like this without any certain type of trauma causing it that it should be a signal to me about osteoporosis. ONce I have my MRI and bone scan for this other issue, I have to have a bone density test from my PCP to look for early signs of osteoporosis.

I know this is frustrating - I can feel your pain (literally and figuratively).

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Nancy M on 5/27/01 at 20:58 (049084)

Donna, I also had a stress fracture in my cuboid bone left foot last year. I was in a hard cast for two weeks and then a soft cast and cam boot for two week, four weeks total with no weight. After that it was still the soft cast and cam boot with weight as I could tolerate. In total I had something on my foot for five months. Don't know how I got the stress fracture. We found it by doing a bone scan. I've also had a bone density test done and no osteoporosis. My feet problems started in September/October 1997. Since then I've had EPF surgery on both feet, 3 neuromoas removed (2 left - 1 right), 2 stress fractures and just five weeks ago I had surgery for sinus tarsi syndrome (like carple tunnel, but in foot). Doing great from all surgeries. This all started when I decided to start walking for exercise!!!!

Nancy M in AZ

Sonja on 5/28/01 at 00:07 (049085)

I sure do appreciate the imput. Thank you. I was checked for Osteoporosis and they said it was fine. I take calcium. And All these foot problems started in November 1999. I havent had a painless step since and don't know when it will end. I hope the best for both of you !