Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF plus ball of foot pain.

Posted by Shirley W. on 5/26/01 at 12:50 (048975)

Hello, My podiatrist is stumped. I've had plantar faciiatis for 2 years. It was much better, but now I have pain in the balls of my feet. I've been on celebrex, then predisone, then cortisone injections into the balls of my feet (which were very painful). Nothing has helped and after the cortisone, I've gotten much worse - balls of my feet aching all the time. Now he has me on vioxx which is doing nothing. And the heel pain is starting to return. I think the doctor is missing something. X-rays show no arthritis, just a small beginning of a bunion on the right foot. I'm 53, used to walk 2 miles a day, about 15 pounds over my perfect weight. I'm not sure my doctor is on the right track. Any suggestions as to could be wrong & how to treat it? Thanks

Re: PF plus ball of foot pain.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/26/01 at 14:11 (048978)

The first thing to do is rule out neuroma syndrome. It we are talking about both feet need to examine lower back. Foot structure. Any problems wiht your hips, knees etc. Give me some more information if possible.

Time of pain , does it hurt in shoes. without shoes.

Shirley W. on 5/27/01 at 11:10 (049045)

Both feet are hurting, but the right has always been the worst. After the cortisone injections, the right foot aches all the time. My feet feel much better in my New Balance Cross Trainer shoes, which I wear all the time on weekends, but I work in an office weekdays and must wear a dress shoe. I've basically given up heels, but must wear something besides tennis shoes in the office. I wear an over the counter orthodic inside my shoes which has really helped the plantar faciitis. By 5 pm my feet are really hurting, and I can forget going into a store to shop if I have any shoe on other than the tennis shoes. My feet are just too painful. I did have left knee surgery about 7 years ago for chipped cartilage. Some osteoarthritis showed up also. I'm wondering if I have a nerve pinched on my right foot between the 3rd to 4th toe. That's where the 24 hour ache is. Of course before I put my feet on the floor 1st thing in the morning is the best time - very little pain then except for a small ache in the right foot. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/26/01 at 14:11 (048978)

The first thing to do is rule out neuroma syndrome. It we are talking about both feet need to examine lower back. Foot structure. Any problems wiht your hips, knees etc. Give me some more information if possible.

Time of pain , does it hurt in shoes. without shoes.

Shirley W. on 5/27/01 at 11:10 (049045)

Both feet are hurting, but the right has always been the worst. After the cortisone injections, the right foot aches all the time. My feet feel much better in my New Balance Cross Trainer shoes, which I wear all the time on weekends, but I work in an office weekdays and must wear a dress shoe. I've basically given up heels, but must wear something besides tennis shoes in the office. I wear an over the counter orthodic inside my shoes which has really helped the plantar faciitis. By 5 pm my feet are really hurting, and I can forget going into a store to shop if I have any shoe on other than the tennis shoes. My feet are just too painful. I did have left knee surgery about 7 years ago for chipped cartilage. Some osteoarthritis showed up also. I'm wondering if I have a nerve pinched on my right foot between the 3rd to 4th toe. That's where the 24 hour ache is. Of course before I put my feet on the floor 1st thing in the morning is the best time - very little pain then except for a small ache in the right foot. Thanks for your help.