Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight loss as cure??

Posted by Tam M on 5/26/01 at 19:30 (048988)

Hi Everyone!
I've read that being overweight may be a trigger to PF. Has anyone had any luck losing weight, and in turn having their PF either go away or lessen in severity?

Re: Weight loss as cure??

Julie on 5/27/01 at 01:57 (049015)

Hi Tam

There seem to be differing opinions about this. The received opinion is that being overweight is one of the causes of PF, but in an article on heel pain in the current issue of Podiatry Today, the author dismisses this as a myth: one of three, the are that heel spurs are the cause of the PF pain, and that foot type plays a large role in determining susceptibilityto PF). His view is that PF is mostly biomechanical in origin.

I found this interesting, as I've assumed that the greater the burden on the fascia (i.e. the greater the weight) the more likely PF is to strike. Of course it's only one doctor's view, but this is what he says about weight:

'Myth 2. Heavier people are more susceptible to heel pain. Tall, short, thin and heavy men and women of all ages and races are affected by heel pain. And although (podiatrists) may find it more difficult to treat heel pain among your heavier patients, excessive body weight is not a major factor in the onset or perpetuation of plantar fasciitis. Weight loss is only a small factor when you're trying to achieve pain-free ambulation for your patients.'

Of course there are lots of good health reasons for getting rid of excess weight, even if he is right and it doesn't make much of a difference to one's heel pain.

The whole article is worth reading for its clear and detailed explanation of PF and its treatment. It's on line at http://www.podiatry-today.com . (Click on 'current issue'.)

Julie on 5/27/01 at 01:58 (049016)

PS word missing in second line: the 'others' are...

john h on 5/27/01 at 10:13 (049033)

i lost 10 lb the last month or so on the subway diet! yes i said the subway diet! i am sick sick sick of subways and may return to my whopper with cheese diet.

Re: Weight loss as cure?? - to John

Valerie S on 5/27/01 at hrmin (049042)

Hi John.

Congratulations on your success! I think that is great that you lost 10 pounds. What a great way to jumpstart your weight loss. I don't blame you for being sick of Subway... but since you've made it this far, and if you want to lose more weight, maybe you can look for a eating lifestyle that is a little more flexible. Or, if you have reached your goal, you can find the variety that you need to keep the weight off. Don't go out and gain it back, after you 'suffered' through all those subs! hee hee hee...

Congratulations!

Val.

Re: Weight loss as cure?? - to John also

Donna M. on 5/27/01 at 10:49 (049044)

John, sounds like a good idea to me!! You could try eating just 2 meals a day and having a whopper with cheese at both meals!! :)
I say do whatever works and you can live with!!
I've lost 7½ pounds and find myself craving a frosty from Wendy's!!
Just hang in there and keep up the good work!!

bg cped on 5/27/01 at 12:43 (049049)

I have a few questions regarding the wt issue. If it is biomechanical as he says, then the more wt you have the more you increase the traction pull on the fascia.( especially for pronators) Many women will get pf after pregnancy wt gain. Many people of all sizes get pf but many pt I have seen claim that they had a fair wt gain before pf started.
Also to claim that 1/3 pf is pain due to spur is a stretch (pardon the pun) I have always reasoned if it was the spur causing pain it would hurt all the time when wt bearing, similar to having a stone in your shoe. The fact that it reduces after 10 minutes of wt bearing in the am indicates it is traction pull on fascia , after a few minutes it gets stretched out and less painful...Wonder if the author is big on doing surg to 'get rid of that painful heel spur'.
Thanks for posting the article

Re: Weight loss as cure?? John?????

Tam M on 5/27/01 at 15:12 (049058)

Have you noticed a decrease in pain from PF since your weight loss? Maybe it is too soon to tell. I'm very curious...I know if I lost some weight it would take a real 'load' off my poor feet!!

Re: Weight loss as cure?? - to BG

Julie on 5/27/01 at 16:34 (049061)

No no, BG, please read my post again: you've got it completely wrong.

I did not report the author of the article as saying that 'one of three' cases of PF are due to spur. He said that the excess weight theory is 'one of three' myths about PF, and that the first myth is that the heel spur causes the pain.

And he is not keen on surgery. The article opens by saying that far too many surgeries are done, that most are unnecessary, that the success rate for surgery is low, and that conservative treatments will work in most cases.

The article is on line at http://www.podiatry-online.com . I suggested that a permanent home be found for it on heelspurs.com, because in the nature of things it will disappear from view before long, but I don't know if Scott has done anything about it.

bg cped on 5/27/01 at 16:37 (049062)

My mistake, but I still think that wt has a big influence on it

Julie on 5/27/01 at 17:01 (049069)

I've always thought so too, but I found the different point of view expressed in the article interesting, and that it was worth acquainting Tam with it.

I think that there is a lot of guilt around overweight as a contributory cause of PF. Anything that reduces guilt is a good thing psychologically, and I suspect it makes it easier to shift the weight.

john h on 5/27/01 at 17:25 (049072)

i do through in a can of ensure to replace a meal ever now and then. i am on no formal plan. count no calories. do watch my fat intake.

lenore r on 5/28/01 at 07:51 (049095)

just a note to this subject, i started with pf after losing almost 35 lbs. was working out on treadmilll for 6 months before the heel pain started.

Re: Subway diet?

Julie on 5/28/01 at 08:13 (049096)

John, what is the subway diet?

Valerie S on 5/28/01 at hrmin (049101)

Hi Julie.
I read your question, and thought I might be able to clue you in.

Subway is the name of a restaurant here in the US. I don't know if they have them in UK... It's like a fast food place, but they make submarine sandwiches. Their 'specialty' or 'gimmic' or whatever you want to call it, is that they bake their own bread and use lots of fresh veggies on their subs, and make them before your eyes in a school cafeteria style assembly line. The subs are fresh and delicious. I find them to be tiring after only a few.

About a year ago, this guy named Jared 'invented' a diet. He literally lived on Subway for over a year and lost over 100 pounds. Now he stars in a big ad campaign, getting people to line up at Subway to lose weight like he did. I think it's a great convenient way to get a low calorie meal, but would not be able to eat Subway exclusively for over 3 days myself. They have good healthy food that you can incorporate into a healthy lifestyle though.

So, the Subway diet is now among the many American attempts to become less fat. hee hee. God Bless America.

Val.

bg cped on 5/28/01 at 11:24 (049118)

That is great, it always helps to lose wt. The treadmill is probably what set off the pf. Increased activity is the other main cause. Most pt I see have either had a wt gain or changed activity such as treadmill, walking,job change etc.

john h on 5/28/01 at 17:28 (049142)

no i have not noticed any less pain with weight loss.

Re: Podiatry Today article.

Cynthia D on 5/28/01 at 20:20 (049157)

Thanks for the link, Julie. For me it came up under Podiatrytoday.com with no dash in between the words.

Very informative and detailed but I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that after one injection and 'strapping', that most patients would be 80 - 100 cured after just one week!!!! But what about when the cortizone wears off? What about when the second cortizone makes the condition WORSE, not better? What about the podiatrist that wash their hands of the chronic cases? Why no mention of ESWT? I wish the author would come aboard so we could have a chat!

About the weight loss, I lost 35 pounds last year, and my condition kept getting worse.

I'm in agreement that repetitive motion sports causes pf, such as the treadmill, running, working on a concrete floor - tennis 5-6 times a week for several years caused it for me! It was no worse or better through a 50 pound pregnancy weight gain, and returned with a vengance after 3 months of bedrest when I began walking around again.

john h on 5/29/01 at 11:19 (049221)

valerie: jared lost somewhere in the vicinity of 230 lbs. there is a subway store between me and burger king so i just stop there at lunch. i bet jared is eating filets now. julie-they offer 6 subs with 6 grams of fat which are by no means gourmet but it beats 35 grams of fat in a whopper.

Valerie S on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049232)

Hi John.

I'm sorry... I really do love Subway. I didn't remember how much weight he lost, and I certainly didn't mean to belittle his accomplishment. Thanks for correcting my feeble attempt at an answer. My husband and I toyed with the idea of trying the diet, but decided we would never have the willpower to stick with such a strict plan after we tried it for 2 days. Congratulations on your success! We still eat there a couple times a month.

Keep up the good work!
Val.

Re: Subway diet?to Val and John

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:37 (049304)

Val, thanks for the explanation! John, I wish we had Subways here.

Julie on 5/27/01 at 01:57 (049015)

Hi Tam

There seem to be differing opinions about this. The received opinion is that being overweight is one of the causes of PF, but in an article on heel pain in the current issue of Podiatry Today, the author dismisses this as a myth: one of three, the are that heel spurs are the cause of the PF pain, and that foot type plays a large role in determining susceptibilityto PF). His view is that PF is mostly biomechanical in origin.

I found this interesting, as I've assumed that the greater the burden on the fascia (i.e. the greater the weight) the more likely PF is to strike. Of course it's only one doctor's view, but this is what he says about weight:

'Myth 2. Heavier people are more susceptible to heel pain. Tall, short, thin and heavy men and women of all ages and races are affected by heel pain. And although (podiatrists) may find it more difficult to treat heel pain among your heavier patients, excessive body weight is not a major factor in the onset or perpetuation of plantar fasciitis. Weight loss is only a small factor when you're trying to achieve pain-free ambulation for your patients.'

Of course there are lots of good health reasons for getting rid of excess weight, even if he is right and it doesn't make much of a difference to one's heel pain.

The whole article is worth reading for its clear and detailed explanation of PF and its treatment. It's on line at http://www.podiatry-today.com . (Click on 'current issue'.)

Julie on 5/27/01 at 01:58 (049016)

PS word missing in second line: the 'others' are...

john h on 5/27/01 at 10:13 (049033)

i lost 10 lb the last month or so on the subway diet! yes i said the subway diet! i am sick sick sick of subways and may return to my whopper with cheese diet.

Re: Weight loss as cure?? - to John

Valerie S on 5/27/01 at hrmin (049042)

Hi John.

Congratulations on your success! I think that is great that you lost 10 pounds. What a great way to jumpstart your weight loss. I don't blame you for being sick of Subway... but since you've made it this far, and if you want to lose more weight, maybe you can look for a eating lifestyle that is a little more flexible. Or, if you have reached your goal, you can find the variety that you need to keep the weight off. Don't go out and gain it back, after you 'suffered' through all those subs! hee hee hee...

Congratulations!

Val.

Donna M. on 5/27/01 at 10:49 (049044)

John, sounds like a good idea to me!! You could try eating just 2 meals a day and having a whopper with cheese at both meals!! :)
I say do whatever works and you can live with!!
I've lost 7½ pounds and find myself craving a frosty from Wendy's!!
Just hang in there and keep up the good work!!

bg cped on 5/27/01 at 12:43 (049049)

I have a few questions regarding the wt issue. If it is biomechanical as he says, then the more wt you have the more you increase the traction pull on the fascia.( especially for pronators) Many women will get pf after pregnancy wt gain. Many people of all sizes get pf but many pt I have seen claim that they had a fair wt gain before pf started.
Also to claim that 1/3 pf is pain due to spur is a stretch (pardon the pun) I have always reasoned if it was the spur causing pain it would hurt all the time when wt bearing, similar to having a stone in your shoe. The fact that it reduces after 10 minutes of wt bearing in the am indicates it is traction pull on fascia , after a few minutes it gets stretched out and less painful...Wonder if the author is big on doing surg to 'get rid of that painful heel spur'.
Thanks for posting the article

Tam M on 5/27/01 at 15:12 (049058)

Have you noticed a decrease in pain from PF since your weight loss? Maybe it is too soon to tell. I'm very curious...I know if I lost some weight it would take a real 'load' off my poor feet!!

Julie on 5/27/01 at 16:34 (049061)

No no, BG, please read my post again: you've got it completely wrong.

I did not report the author of the article as saying that 'one of three' cases of PF are due to spur. He said that the excess weight theory is 'one of three' myths about PF, and that the first myth is that the heel spur causes the pain.

And he is not keen on surgery. The article opens by saying that far too many surgeries are done, that most are unnecessary, that the success rate for surgery is low, and that conservative treatments will work in most cases.

The article is on line at http://www.podiatry-online.com . I suggested that a permanent home be found for it on heelspurs.com, because in the nature of things it will disappear from view before long, but I don't know if Scott has done anything about it.

bg cped on 5/27/01 at 16:37 (049062)

My mistake, but I still think that wt has a big influence on it

Julie on 5/27/01 at 17:01 (049069)

I've always thought so too, but I found the different point of view expressed in the article interesting, and that it was worth acquainting Tam with it.

I think that there is a lot of guilt around overweight as a contributory cause of PF. Anything that reduces guilt is a good thing psychologically, and I suspect it makes it easier to shift the weight.

john h on 5/27/01 at 17:25 (049072)

i do through in a can of ensure to replace a meal ever now and then. i am on no formal plan. count no calories. do watch my fat intake.

lenore r on 5/28/01 at 07:51 (049095)

just a note to this subject, i started with pf after losing almost 35 lbs. was working out on treadmilll for 6 months before the heel pain started.

Julie on 5/28/01 at 08:13 (049096)

John, what is the subway diet?

Valerie S on 5/28/01 at hrmin (049101)

Hi Julie.
I read your question, and thought I might be able to clue you in.

Subway is the name of a restaurant here in the US. I don't know if they have them in UK... It's like a fast food place, but they make submarine sandwiches. Their 'specialty' or 'gimmic' or whatever you want to call it, is that they bake their own bread and use lots of fresh veggies on their subs, and make them before your eyes in a school cafeteria style assembly line. The subs are fresh and delicious. I find them to be tiring after only a few.

About a year ago, this guy named Jared 'invented' a diet. He literally lived on Subway for over a year and lost over 100 pounds. Now he stars in a big ad campaign, getting people to line up at Subway to lose weight like he did. I think it's a great convenient way to get a low calorie meal, but would not be able to eat Subway exclusively for over 3 days myself. They have good healthy food that you can incorporate into a healthy lifestyle though.

So, the Subway diet is now among the many American attempts to become less fat. hee hee. God Bless America.

Val.

bg cped on 5/28/01 at 11:24 (049118)

That is great, it always helps to lose wt. The treadmill is probably what set off the pf. Increased activity is the other main cause. Most pt I see have either had a wt gain or changed activity such as treadmill, walking,job change etc.

john h on 5/28/01 at 17:28 (049142)

no i have not noticed any less pain with weight loss.

Re: Podiatry Today article.

Cynthia D on 5/28/01 at 20:20 (049157)

Thanks for the link, Julie. For me it came up under Podiatrytoday.com with no dash in between the words.

Very informative and detailed but I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read that after one injection and 'strapping', that most patients would be 80 - 100 cured after just one week!!!! But what about when the cortizone wears off? What about when the second cortizone makes the condition WORSE, not better? What about the podiatrist that wash their hands of the chronic cases? Why no mention of ESWT? I wish the author would come aboard so we could have a chat!

About the weight loss, I lost 35 pounds last year, and my condition kept getting worse.

I'm in agreement that repetitive motion sports causes pf, such as the treadmill, running, working on a concrete floor - tennis 5-6 times a week for several years caused it for me! It was no worse or better through a 50 pound pregnancy weight gain, and returned with a vengance after 3 months of bedrest when I began walking around again.

john h on 5/29/01 at 11:19 (049221)

valerie: jared lost somewhere in the vicinity of 230 lbs. there is a subway store between me and burger king so i just stop there at lunch. i bet jared is eating filets now. julie-they offer 6 subs with 6 grams of fat which are by no means gourmet but it beats 35 grams of fat in a whopper.

Valerie S on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049232)

Hi John.

I'm sorry... I really do love Subway. I didn't remember how much weight he lost, and I certainly didn't mean to belittle his accomplishment. Thanks for correcting my feeble attempt at an answer. My husband and I toyed with the idea of trying the diet, but decided we would never have the willpower to stick with such a strict plan after we tried it for 2 days. Congratulations on your success! We still eat there a couple times a month.

Keep up the good work!
Val.

Re: Subway diet?to Val and John

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:37 (049304)

Val, thanks for the explanation! John, I wish we had Subways here.