Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Blood Tests before surgery or any type of tests

Posted by Tracey A on 5/27/01 at 00:35 (049011)

Dear Doctors,
I posted this question on the surgery site and would loke to get a doctors input. Is it or is it not standard practice to order tests before surgery? Do you get blood work done before surgery. It was never done with me before my 2 surgeries for my right foot. I had P.F. release twice by 2 different doctors. No one ordered any tests. I was told a few days ago that I am diabetic. My foot has not healed and now I have permanent damage. I need to know the answers why this was not done.
Thank-you!

Re: Blood Tests before surgery or any type of tests

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/27/01 at 08:34 (049026)

This is a very good question. There is certain criteria at each and every surgical center that the surgery is being done at .

The testing is based on age, previous history of disease and present medications.

I routinely order a complete blood Count but not a blood glucose unless there is a history of Diabetes in the family or there are signs of symtoms of Diabetes such as frequent thirst, Vision problems. Frequent urination at nite. history of poor healing. The patient is very tired.

But in answer to your question no there is no standard that you must order blood test x and blood test y but there is a standard that a history needs to be taken to determine if you should order any lab testing.

I doubt whether being a diabetic caused permenant damage to your foot.
The surgery could cause damage but not the fact that you were just diagnosed. I can understand you angry but I doubt the lack of lab test had anything to do with the very bad outcome of your foot surgery.

I hope that this was helpful and not too confusing

Re: Blood Tests before surgery or any type of tests

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/27/01 at 08:34 (049026)

This is a very good question. There is certain criteria at each and every surgical center that the surgery is being done at .

The testing is based on age, previous history of disease and present medications.

I routinely order a complete blood Count but not a blood glucose unless there is a history of Diabetes in the family or there are signs of symtoms of Diabetes such as frequent thirst, Vision problems. Frequent urination at nite. history of poor healing. The patient is very tired.

But in answer to your question no there is no standard that you must order blood test x and blood test y but there is a standard that a history needs to be taken to determine if you should order any lab testing.

I doubt whether being a diabetic caused permenant damage to your foot.
The surgery could cause damage but not the fact that you were just diagnosed. I can understand you angry but I doubt the lack of lab test had anything to do with the very bad outcome of your foot surgery.

I hope that this was helpful and not too confusing