Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascitis and Malaria

Posted by Rania H. on 5/27/01 at hrmin (049057)

In 1994 I had a bad bout of malaria. Once I was well, I suffered severed plantar fascitis. I never made the connection.
Two weeks ago, I suffered another bout of malaria. My first since 1994. This week, I am barely able to walk.
I am wondering if there is any connection or if anyone else has had this sort of thing back to back and never made the connection. Sounds like a stretch, but I have to wonder. What about quenine (used to treat the malaria). Could quenine have anything to do with this?

Re: Plantar Fascitis and Malaria

Dr. Biehler on 5/28/01 at 21:10 (049164)

I have not come across this before, but I would not be supprised if there was a connection. Dr. B.

Rania on 5/28/01 at hrmin (049180)

Thanks for at least reading my question. I know it sounds bizarre. Do you have any tips as to how or where else I can pursue this issue for research? I need to find out if anyone else who suffers from PF has also had malaria or has taken quenine. Thanks in advance.

Julie on 5/29/01 at 03:13 (049187)

Hi Rania

I'm trying to make a connection between malaria/quinine and your scoliosis that you mentioned on the other thread. Is the malaria debilitating enough to send you to bed for a few days? If so, that could exacerbate your back problem which could have a knock-on effect on your lower extremity. Just guessing.

Rania H. on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049212)

Yes, Julie. Malaria is enough to keep me in bed for days. I'm still there after two weeks. I do lie down, though, on a good mattress, good pillow, and lower back support, including a knee wedge. My scoliosis is not usually an issue in my life. It's there and that's about it. Or should I consider it? I second guess a lot these days. Malaria brings on jaundice, high fever, and hallucinations. It also weakens me tremendously and brings on amazing aches. Even with the malaria, I still get out of bed to do my calf stretches and all other necessary stretches. I also lift some smaller free weights. The only thing I do not do is any aerobic exercise and I do not get on the treadmill.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 03:30 (049312)

Hi Rania

First, my sympathies to you re malaria. I have been to India three times, always aware that the mosquitos are now very resistant to the usual anti-malaria medication, and always worried about coming home with the disease (mosquitos love me, and south Indian mosquitos don't buzz to warn you of their approach). So far I've been lucky. I'm sorry you are having to contend with it and that it's so bad you have to take to your bed.

I mean no disrespect to your bed, but being in bed for extended periods can exacerbate back problems, so if there is a relation between your scoliosis and your PF, it could be the bed rest that's kicking it in. Just a thought.

Another thought: your stretching may possibly be aggravating your PF problem. See my post to Steve on the Treatments board this morning for an explanation of why I think so (I don't want to repeat myself). If what you're doing is causing you pain, it might be best to stop.

Have you made any discoveries with respect to the quinine-PF possible link? I'd be interested to know if you do.

I hope you are feeling much better soon.

All the best, Julie

rania.h on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049478)

thanx for your wellwishing

i have yet to find a quenine-pf connection

Dr. Biehler on 5/28/01 at 21:10 (049164)

I have not come across this before, but I would not be supprised if there was a connection. Dr. B.

Rania on 5/28/01 at hrmin (049180)

Thanks for at least reading my question. I know it sounds bizarre. Do you have any tips as to how or where else I can pursue this issue for research? I need to find out if anyone else who suffers from PF has also had malaria or has taken quenine. Thanks in advance.

Julie on 5/29/01 at 03:13 (049187)

Hi Rania

I'm trying to make a connection between malaria/quinine and your scoliosis that you mentioned on the other thread. Is the malaria debilitating enough to send you to bed for a few days? If so, that could exacerbate your back problem which could have a knock-on effect on your lower extremity. Just guessing.

Rania H. on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049212)

Yes, Julie. Malaria is enough to keep me in bed for days. I'm still there after two weeks. I do lie down, though, on a good mattress, good pillow, and lower back support, including a knee wedge. My scoliosis is not usually an issue in my life. It's there and that's about it. Or should I consider it? I second guess a lot these days. Malaria brings on jaundice, high fever, and hallucinations. It also weakens me tremendously and brings on amazing aches. Even with the malaria, I still get out of bed to do my calf stretches and all other necessary stretches. I also lift some smaller free weights. The only thing I do not do is any aerobic exercise and I do not get on the treadmill.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 03:30 (049312)

Hi Rania

First, my sympathies to you re malaria. I have been to India three times, always aware that the mosquitos are now very resistant to the usual anti-malaria medication, and always worried about coming home with the disease (mosquitos love me, and south Indian mosquitos don't buzz to warn you of their approach). So far I've been lucky. I'm sorry you are having to contend with it and that it's so bad you have to take to your bed.

I mean no disrespect to your bed, but being in bed for extended periods can exacerbate back problems, so if there is a relation between your scoliosis and your PF, it could be the bed rest that's kicking it in. Just a thought.

Another thought: your stretching may possibly be aggravating your PF problem. See my post to Steve on the Treatments board this morning for an explanation of why I think so (I don't want to repeat myself). If what you're doing is causing you pain, it might be best to stop.

Have you made any discoveries with respect to the quinine-PF possible link? I'd be interested to know if you do.

I hope you are feeling much better soon.

All the best, Julie

rania.h on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049478)

thanx for your wellwishing

i have yet to find a quenine-pf connection