Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

LAURIE, SHELIA, CHRISTY,JUDY,SHERRY

Posted by MARY S. on 5/27/01 at 19:56 (049082)

SEE MY ORIGINAL THREAD. I HAVE UPDATE ON MY SURGERY THERE.

Re: LAURIE, SHELIA, CHRISTY,JUDY,SHERRY

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 00:15 (049086)

Hi Mary, I so sorry you are having all these problems. Just remember with each and everyday things will start to get better for you.I know it does not seem like that now ,but it will get better. I have not had surgery on my foot yet , but i have had 7 surgeries on my stomach. I also have endometriosis... Always the next day after surgery would be the worst.Now what is the gas something slide you had... I have never heard of that before. I hope your recovery goes fast for you. My very best to you Mary.Please when you are feeling better keep us posted. Laurie R

Sheila W. on 5/28/01 at 04:12 (049091)

Mary,

Stay off of the walker. Just rest. Crutches and the walker will make you really sore since your upper body is doing all of the work that your feet normally do. I had crutches and using bicycle gloves helped keep my hands from getting too sore. I live on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator, so I spent the first 3 days after surgery on my friend's couch. I got 10 days off of work and spent it laying on the couch. The thought of dealing with the stairs kept me from trying to do anything unless it was absolutely necessary. Don't do anything unless you absolutely have to. And don't try to cut the pain medicine in half (unless the doctor told you to). I tried to keep my foot elevated at night, but it was a pain to sleep like that. It really will get better each day. Stick to the wheel chair since you're so sore from the walker. And REST!

Sheila

Re: LAURIE

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 10:26 (049108)

LAURIE--WITH 7 SURGERIES ON YOUR STOMACH, I CAN SEE THAT YOU ARE A PRO AT RECOVERY!!I HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS YEARS AGO, AND THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST PAINFUL TIMES OF MY LIFE. A HYSTROECTOMY SOLVED THAT PROBLEM. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL TODAY. I HAD A MUSCLE CUT IN THE BACK OF MY CALF TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF MY ACHILLES TENDON WHICH HAD CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO MY HEEL CAUSING HORRIBLE PAIN. I TEACH, SO I AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY AND I SUFFERED FOR THREE YEARS. THE GASTROC SLIDE WAS THE PROCEDURE. I FEEL BETTER TODAY BECAUSE I STAYED OFF OF THE WALKER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE YESTERDAY. BODY WAS SOOOOO SORE. THANKS FOR CHECKING. YOU LIFT MY SPIRITS!!!

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 10:34 (049109)

SHELIA-- YOU ADVICE MEANS SO MUCH TO ME! I CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVE ALSO REALLY BEEN THROUGH AN ORDEAL. THE BICYCLE GLOVES ARE A GREAT IDEA!! HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW? ABLE TO WALK AT ALL? I FEEL BETTER TODAY AND PLAN TO REST, REST! MY HUSBAND IS GOING STIR CRAZY. HE IS NOT USED TO BEING INSIDE ALL DAY. HE HAS TAKEN 10 DAYS OFF TO HELP, BUT I THINK WE BOTH NEED A BREAK FROM TOGETHERNESS. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH IT MEANS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO WHO RELATES TO THE SITUATION!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU. LETS CHAT SOON.

Re: Your shorting your self on the pain meds!

BrianG on 5/28/01 at 11:48 (049122)

Hi Mary,

Sorry about the pain. Why are you cutting the Lortabs in half? I can't believe your doctor would script them this way. It's usually best to take 1 or 2, every 4 hours. You can try taking them with food if they upset your stomach. Also, vitamin C will help with the healing. Call your doc if your pain continues to be bad, thats what your paying him for. The amount of pain you describe is really unnecessary.

BCG

Re: BRIAN

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 14:24 (049129)

BRIAN--YOU ARE RIGHT. THE DOCTOR SAID ONE OR TWO EVERY 4 TO 6 HOURS. I JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD TRY TO GET BY ON LESS, BUT I THINK I'VE CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT THAT AND WILL TAKE A WHOLE ONE. ALOST OF THE PAIN IS FROM PULLING MYSELF ON THE WALKER. I GO BACK TO DR. THURS. AND I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING IF HE WOULD PUT ME IN A WALKING CAST, BUT IT WILL BE A WEEK FRIDAY SINCE SURGERY, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE'LL DO. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL.

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 00:15 (049086)

Hi Mary, I so sorry you are having all these problems. Just remember with each and everyday things will start to get better for you.I know it does not seem like that now ,but it will get better. I have not had surgery on my foot yet , but i have had 7 surgeries on my stomach. I also have endometriosis... Always the next day after surgery would be the worst.Now what is the gas something slide you had... I have never heard of that before. I hope your recovery goes fast for you. My very best to you Mary.Please when you are feeling better keep us posted. Laurie R

Sheila W. on 5/28/01 at 04:12 (049091)

Mary,

Stay off of the walker. Just rest. Crutches and the walker will make you really sore since your upper body is doing all of the work that your feet normally do. I had crutches and using bicycle gloves helped keep my hands from getting too sore. I live on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator, so I spent the first 3 days after surgery on my friend's couch. I got 10 days off of work and spent it laying on the couch. The thought of dealing with the stairs kept me from trying to do anything unless it was absolutely necessary. Don't do anything unless you absolutely have to. And don't try to cut the pain medicine in half (unless the doctor told you to). I tried to keep my foot elevated at night, but it was a pain to sleep like that. It really will get better each day. Stick to the wheel chair since you're so sore from the walker. And REST!

Sheila

Re: LAURIE

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 10:26 (049108)

LAURIE--WITH 7 SURGERIES ON YOUR STOMACH, I CAN SEE THAT YOU ARE A PRO AT RECOVERY!!I HAD ENDOMETRIOSIS YEARS AGO, AND THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST PAINFUL TIMES OF MY LIFE. A HYSTROECTOMY SOLVED THAT PROBLEM. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL TODAY. I HAD A MUSCLE CUT IN THE BACK OF MY CALF TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF MY ACHILLES TENDON WHICH HAD CALCIFIED WHERE IT ATTACHES TO MY HEEL CAUSING HORRIBLE PAIN. I TEACH, SO I AM ON MY FEET ALL DAY AND I SUFFERED FOR THREE YEARS. THE GASTROC SLIDE WAS THE PROCEDURE. I FEEL BETTER TODAY BECAUSE I STAYED OFF OF THE WALKER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE YESTERDAY. BODY WAS SOOOOO SORE. THANKS FOR CHECKING. YOU LIFT MY SPIRITS!!!

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 10:34 (049109)

SHELIA-- YOU ADVICE MEANS SO MUCH TO ME! I CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVE ALSO REALLY BEEN THROUGH AN ORDEAL. THE BICYCLE GLOVES ARE A GREAT IDEA!! HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW? ABLE TO WALK AT ALL? I FEEL BETTER TODAY AND PLAN TO REST, REST! MY HUSBAND IS GOING STIR CRAZY. HE IS NOT USED TO BEING INSIDE ALL DAY. HE HAS TAKEN 10 DAYS OFF TO HELP, BUT I THINK WE BOTH NEED A BREAK FROM TOGETHERNESS. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH IT MEANS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO WHO RELATES TO THE SITUATION!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU. LETS CHAT SOON.

Re: Your shorting your self on the pain meds!

BrianG on 5/28/01 at 11:48 (049122)

Hi Mary,

Sorry about the pain. Why are you cutting the Lortabs in half? I can't believe your doctor would script them this way. It's usually best to take 1 or 2, every 4 hours. You can try taking them with food if they upset your stomach. Also, vitamin C will help with the healing. Call your doc if your pain continues to be bad, thats what your paying him for. The amount of pain you describe is really unnecessary.

BCG

Re: BRIAN

MARY S. on 5/28/01 at 14:24 (049129)

BRIAN--YOU ARE RIGHT. THE DOCTOR SAID ONE OR TWO EVERY 4 TO 6 HOURS. I JUST THOUGHT I SHOULD TRY TO GET BY ON LESS, BUT I THINK I'VE CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT THAT AND WILL TAKE A WHOLE ONE. ALOST OF THE PAIN IS FROM PULLING MYSELF ON THE WALKER. I GO BACK TO DR. THURS. AND I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING IF HE WOULD PUT ME IN A WALKING CAST, BUT IT WILL BE A WEEK FRIDAY SINCE SURGERY, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE'LL DO. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL.