Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Fellow Americans...

Posted by Valerie S on 5/28/01 at 09:32 (049103)

Hi.

Happy Memorial Day. Let's not forget the men and women who fought and died to protect our freedom. Have a great day in this, the land of the free, the home of the brave.

Your friend, Val.
Wife of Desert Storm Veteran.

Re: My Fellow Americans...

BrianG on 5/28/01 at 10:40 (049110)

Why thank you, Val. We must NEVER forget!

BCG,
USCG
Vietnam Vet

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/28/01 at 10:47 (049115)

Never forget!!!!!.. and always repect !!!!.

Tammie on 5/28/01 at 10:54 (049116)

How very very true! May God bless them all!!!! Speaking of which yesterday I went to to see the movie pearl harbor! It was a very good movie and so very good for my 13 year old to understand a portion of what happened she loved it, tho I must add we 3 could have used a box of kleenex and when we left the theater it left us feeling very very sad.I think that this is a good way to make it seem more real to those who did not live thru it at the time, my daughter asked many questions which allowed her dad to explain ( he loves history and understands allot more then I ,plus he was in the Air Force) It was a very emotional movie and day we continued the day by having dinner out and discussing more about the wars that have been fought.I recommend the movie , it was a good way to remember a very sad time in life! Oh yes it was a 3 hr movie and so good we never even got up to go to bathroom or even eat the popcorn it was very intense.

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 11:04 (049117)

I with all of you on this. WE can never forget...Much respect....
Laurie R (Daugther of WW2 vet).... This day is kind of sad for me. Everytime I see old pictures on tv of the salior's it reminds me of my dad.I lost him 10 years ago...He served in the Navy..WW2

Paula A on 5/28/01 at 11:39 (049119)

How right you are, Val!

My Mom and Dad were both WW11 vets and my sweetie of 8 years
is a Vietnam Vet..

One of my closest friends who was a USMC veteran of Korea
and Vietnam and served for more than 25 years recently
died of complications of Emphysema..and the stress of
caring for a sweet wife of 46 years who had Altzheimers..
If ever there was a saint this man was one..Thinking of
Chet today...and everyday..

Paula A

john h on 5/28/01 at 17:35 (049143)

yes brian! vietnam 1968-1969 and 1971-1972 in air rescue. also managed the last 3 months of korea the Formosa and Cuban crisis.
saw pearl harbor last night. really enjoyed it. visited the Airizona twice in past years. even you ladies should like pearl harbor because of the touching love story within.

john h
LtCol, USAF(ret)

Re: Pearl Harbor the Movie.

Valerie S on 5/28/01 at 21:38 (049168)

Very good movie. Of course, we see all the war movies...

Re: To Brian and John H

Paula A on 5/28/01 at 22:41 (049174)

Brian and John,

Welcome home!

Paula ...My Neil is a Vietnam vet also..

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 08:52 (049202)

Hi John,

1968-69 were bad times over there, the Tet and all. I was stationed on a 180' sea going bouy tender. We worked bouys all the way from Guam to S/E Asia. We hit every port in South Vietnam, including a wretched trip up the Mekong Delta to Saigon, during the Tet. The good deal was that we went to Bangkok for R&R. I even asked my Neuro if my feet problems might have anything to do with Agent Orange, as I saw some in country, and then later on, on a farm in Hawaii. The doc told me no way. I'm just trying to rule out everything. How can this much pain be coming from a simple case of PF? After all, the tests show just a minimal amount of swelling!

BCG

john h on 5/29/01 at 11:24 (049223)

brian: i have been directly behind the C-130's when they were dispensing agent orange and have landed my helicopter directly in some of the defoliated areas where it was used. doubt it caused any foot problems - maybe some head problems. it was amazing to look down on a dense jungle and see an area where agent orange was used. absolutely no vegitation.

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 11:56 (049229)

So, thats it, it's all in my head ! :*)
Must be, I had a co-worker tell me same thing about 5 years ago, hahahaaa

PS The Mekong Delta was completely defoliated by 68. Bad deal, especially for the South Vietnamese (and our guys of course )

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:53 (049253)

What about chemo- induced neuropathy. Can happen with lead???

Re: Tests, I've had them all !!!

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:09 (049325)

Thanks, but I had a 24 hour urine test for metals, it came back negative. I saw a Neurologist for about 6 months, everything came back negative. I hated his meds, Neurontin, etc. It was worth a shot though.

BCG

PS He didn't think it was all in my head :*)

BrianG on 5/28/01 at 10:40 (049110)

Why thank you, Val. We must NEVER forget!

BCG,
USCG
Vietnam Vet

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/28/01 at 10:47 (049115)

Never forget!!!!!.. and always repect !!!!.

Tammie on 5/28/01 at 10:54 (049116)

How very very true! May God bless them all!!!! Speaking of which yesterday I went to to see the movie pearl harbor! It was a very good movie and so very good for my 13 year old to understand a portion of what happened she loved it, tho I must add we 3 could have used a box of kleenex and when we left the theater it left us feeling very very sad.I think that this is a good way to make it seem more real to those who did not live thru it at the time, my daughter asked many questions which allowed her dad to explain ( he loves history and understands allot more then I ,plus he was in the Air Force) It was a very emotional movie and day we continued the day by having dinner out and discussing more about the wars that have been fought.I recommend the movie , it was a good way to remember a very sad time in life! Oh yes it was a 3 hr movie and so good we never even got up to go to bathroom or even eat the popcorn it was very intense.

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 11:04 (049117)

I with all of you on this. WE can never forget...Much respect....
Laurie R (Daugther of WW2 vet).... This day is kind of sad for me. Everytime I see old pictures on tv of the salior's it reminds me of my dad.I lost him 10 years ago...He served in the Navy..WW2

Paula A on 5/28/01 at 11:39 (049119)

How right you are, Val!

My Mom and Dad were both WW11 vets and my sweetie of 8 years
is a Vietnam Vet..

One of my closest friends who was a USMC veteran of Korea
and Vietnam and served for more than 25 years recently
died of complications of Emphysema..and the stress of
caring for a sweet wife of 46 years who had Altzheimers..
If ever there was a saint this man was one..Thinking of
Chet today...and everyday..

Paula A

john h on 5/28/01 at 17:35 (049143)

yes brian! vietnam 1968-1969 and 1971-1972 in air rescue. also managed the last 3 months of korea the Formosa and Cuban crisis.
saw pearl harbor last night. really enjoyed it. visited the Airizona twice in past years. even you ladies should like pearl harbor because of the touching love story within.

john h
LtCol, USAF(ret)

Re: Pearl Harbor the Movie.

Valerie S on 5/28/01 at 21:38 (049168)

Very good movie. Of course, we see all the war movies...

Re: To Brian and John H

Paula A on 5/28/01 at 22:41 (049174)

Brian and John,

Welcome home!

Paula ...My Neil is a Vietnam vet also..

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 08:52 (049202)

Hi John,

1968-69 were bad times over there, the Tet and all. I was stationed on a 180' sea going bouy tender. We worked bouys all the way from Guam to S/E Asia. We hit every port in South Vietnam, including a wretched trip up the Mekong Delta to Saigon, during the Tet. The good deal was that we went to Bangkok for R&R. I even asked my Neuro if my feet problems might have anything to do with Agent Orange, as I saw some in country, and then later on, on a farm in Hawaii. The doc told me no way. I'm just trying to rule out everything. How can this much pain be coming from a simple case of PF? After all, the tests show just a minimal amount of swelling!

BCG

john h on 5/29/01 at 11:24 (049223)

brian: i have been directly behind the C-130's when they were dispensing agent orange and have landed my helicopter directly in some of the defoliated areas where it was used. doubt it caused any foot problems - maybe some head problems. it was amazing to look down on a dense jungle and see an area where agent orange was used. absolutely no vegitation.

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 11:56 (049229)

So, thats it, it's all in my head ! :*)
Must be, I had a co-worker tell me same thing about 5 years ago, hahahaaa

PS The Mekong Delta was completely defoliated by 68. Bad deal, especially for the South Vietnamese (and our guys of course )

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:53 (049253)

What about chemo- induced neuropathy. Can happen with lead???

Re: Tests, I've had them all !!!

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:09 (049325)

Thanks, but I had a 24 hour urine test for metals, it came back negative. I saw a Neurologist for about 6 months, everything came back negative. I hated his meds, Neurontin, etc. It was worth a shot though.

BCG

PS He didn't think it was all in my head :*)