Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Problems and Future Physical Activities

Posted by Denver K on 5/28/01 at 09:48 (049105)

I'm an avid jogger who has unfortunately either developed a spur or plantar faciitis. I'll soon be going to my doctor to find out what my options are. Please answer me this, I don't want to give up jogging, but honestly speaking, do these types of injuries, even if treatment is successful, mean that I won't be able to run again? Thanks

Re: Heel Problems and Future Physical Activities

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/28/01 at 10:45 (049114)

No, but you will have to stop with the jogging until the pain goes away.

The reason for the heel pain has to be determined whether it is from poor shoe gear, poor stretching. running surfaces. etc, etc The cause needs to be determined and either eliminated or mdoified.

Debbie S. on 5/31/01 at 10:52 (049465)

I just want to give you encouragement. I, too, am a jogger and have had numerous foot problems since 1994 - plantar faciitis, plantars wart on the ball of my foot, torn ligaments, and most recently, achilles tendon/bursal inflammation. Although the plantar faciitis took several months to heal through medication and physical therapy (including electrical stimulation), I recovered. I currently am battling the achilles tendon/bursal inflammation, however, I found a wonderful podiatrist who is a runner himself, and after 2 weeks of physical therapy and medication, I am able to jog with much less pain than before. Although he has restricted me, for the time being, to only jogging 3 times a week, at least I still get to run. He assures me we will get rid of the pain entirely, but it may take time. By the way, two other podiatrists had recommended surgery and were not sure I'd ever run again! Finding the right doctor DOES make a difference.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/28/01 at 10:45 (049114)

No, but you will have to stop with the jogging until the pain goes away.

The reason for the heel pain has to be determined whether it is from poor shoe gear, poor stretching. running surfaces. etc, etc The cause needs to be determined and either eliminated or mdoified.

Debbie S. on 5/31/01 at 10:52 (049465)

I just want to give you encouragement. I, too, am a jogger and have had numerous foot problems since 1994 - plantar faciitis, plantars wart on the ball of my foot, torn ligaments, and most recently, achilles tendon/bursal inflammation. Although the plantar faciitis took several months to heal through medication and physical therapy (including electrical stimulation), I recovered. I currently am battling the achilles tendon/bursal inflammation, however, I found a wonderful podiatrist who is a runner himself, and after 2 weeks of physical therapy and medication, I am able to jog with much less pain than before. Although he has restricted me, for the time being, to only jogging 3 times a week, at least I still get to run. He assures me we will get rid of the pain entirely, but it may take time. By the way, two other podiatrists had recommended surgery and were not sure I'd ever run again! Finding the right doctor DOES make a difference.