Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Computer-Assisted Assessment of Lateral column movement following plantar fascial release: A cadeveric Study

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 5/28/01 at 11:49 (049123)

I would like to summerize an article that was published in the journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery.

What was done was the plantar fascia was cut ranging from a small slice to the entire fascia . The changes in the foot structure were measured to see the foot structure changes that occurred with various amounts of the fascia being realeases.

Digital camera, computers were used for this study.

Conclusion: The first 1/4 release exerted the greatest mechanical alterantion of the foot. Significant movement of the lateral ligments and the lateral band of the pf increased with the release of the medial band of the pf.

Barrett reported ( one of the innovator of the EPF ) in a series of 650 cases 52% of the 62 complication were related to lateral pain from the EPF procedures.

Here is another study reporting complications from pf release: These were 12-13 after the EPF procedure.

1. arch and foot cramping
2. top of the midfoot painful
3. Burning and numbness under the met heads
4. humbness in the big toe.

Ways to prevent these complication

1. reduction of weight bearing either by cast or rest for the first two -four weeks

2. Biomechanical orthosis after the pf release.

Re: Link ?

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 07:39 (049191)

Thanks for the highlights. I'd like to read the whole article. Do you have a link, or the web address?

Thanks
BCG

Re: Link ?

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 07:39 (049191)

Thanks for the highlights. I'd like to read the whole article. Do you have a link, or the web address?

Thanks
BCG