Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Donna: ART N.Y. drs./insurance/etc.

Posted by Helene M on 5/28/01 at 15:49 (049134)

I got a list of the NY drs from the ART website. I also called the ART office in Co. and found out there are more ART drs. who are not listed on the website, because the ones listed must pay for that. The person I spoke with also told me it may be more difficult to get appointments with an instructor because they are busier. I then spoke to 2 drs.directly. The first one, who has full body certification, said (without seeing me) he could most definitely help me. The other, who just got his lower extremity certification, said he would have to see me and it depends what stage I'm in. Then I called the office of one of the 2 instructors whom your chiro recommended, did not speak to the dr but the office person, who told me they don't take insurance but will give me a receipt with diagnosis codes to submit to my insurance co. The prices seem to vary from dr to dr. I think 3 visits per wk will be quite expensive if insurance doesn't cover. My current insurance plan, which I may lose shortly, said that chiropractic outpatient services (consultation, neurological or orthopedic exam & theraputic manipulation and adjustments) are covered. When I asked if that includes the lower extremities, I was told there is no stipulation. However, several yrs ago when I saw a chiropractor for ultrasound and TENS treatments on my feet, my previous insurance co., who had told me that chiropractic services would be covered, ended up not covering me for that. Their reason was that my treatment was not 'spinal related', which I didn't think to ask at that time. So this is tricky and could be a big expense. I'm trying to be very careful with the wording this time around. I think the other instructor you mentioned is too far away from me, in N.J.

Re: To Helene: ART N.Y. drs./insurance/etc.

Donna SL on 5/28/01 at 16:37 (049137)

Helene,

I wouldn't worry about the coverage, if your insurance is going to cover chiropractic care. I think the chiropractors know what codes that the insurance will cover. I think they just have general codes for manipulations, therapy, etc., and will put that down for the ART. I don't think they get into specifics on the coding anymore for which body part, etc. they are working on. Regardless, If you had to pay out of pocket, and it helped you, it would be worth every penny.

I would make an appointment with a couple of them, and decide who you like. The first one sounds very positive. Has he been doing art for a while? Was he listed on the web site? My chiro thought the other instructor in NJ had an office in NY also. I'll be curious, in case we move to NY. I'm seeing my chiro on Wednesday, so if you can give me the names of the others that you have spoken too I'll ask him if he knows them. He said he knew others, but couldn't think of their names off the top of his head at the time.

I only go two days a week, and still had much success. My chiro thought that was enough. I had read three days is suppossed to be optimal in the beginning, but two days a week should be fine, and the more I think about it maybe three days a week might be too much for you.

Re: Donna: ART N.Y. drs./insurance/etc.

Helene M on 5/29/01 at 16:35 (049249)

Donna,
Thanks for the link to the AAPM & R website. I checked and my previous physiatrist, who was not helpful to me, is listed. I noticed some of the drs on the list are D.O.'s. I was also surprised to notice an MD on the list who was not board certified.

I have now called a total of 5 N.Y. ART chiros offices and spoke to 2 drs personally. Yes, you were correct; the ART instructor in NJ also has an office in a health club in Manhattan but the NJ office mgr was out and couldn't give me more information. I'll call back tomorrow. In the meantime I made an appointment with the first dr.I had spoken to for a consult next week. Yes, he was listed on the website. There are also 2 other full body certified ART drs.in his office. This one has 5 yrs experience. Well, after all this research, I hope I'll find I am indeed a candidate for this because there's not much left. He should be able to tell me on the first visit. I'd really prefer to give you all the names & details by e-mail rather than post it here. I can also tell you about my neurologist visit today, which was interesting. My e-mail address is above.

Re: To Helene: ART N.Y. drs./insurance/etc.

Donna SL on 5/28/01 at 16:37 (049137)

Helene,

I wouldn't worry about the coverage, if your insurance is going to cover chiropractic care. I think the chiropractors know what codes that the insurance will cover. I think they just have general codes for manipulations, therapy, etc., and will put that down for the ART. I don't think they get into specifics on the coding anymore for which body part, etc. they are working on. Regardless, If you had to pay out of pocket, and it helped you, it would be worth every penny.

I would make an appointment with a couple of them, and decide who you like. The first one sounds very positive. Has he been doing art for a while? Was he listed on the web site? My chiro thought the other instructor in NJ had an office in NY also. I'll be curious, in case we move to NY. I'm seeing my chiro on Wednesday, so if you can give me the names of the others that you have spoken too I'll ask him if he knows them. He said he knew others, but couldn't think of their names off the top of his head at the time.

I only go two days a week, and still had much success. My chiro thought that was enough. I had read three days is suppossed to be optimal in the beginning, but two days a week should be fine, and the more I think about it maybe three days a week might be too much for you.

Re: Donna: ART N.Y. drs./insurance/etc.

Helene M on 5/29/01 at 16:35 (049249)

Donna,
Thanks for the link to the AAPM & R website. I checked and my previous physiatrist, who was not helpful to me, is listed. I noticed some of the drs on the list are D.O.'s. I was also surprised to notice an MD on the list who was not board certified.

I have now called a total of 5 N.Y. ART chiros offices and spoke to 2 drs personally. Yes, you were correct; the ART instructor in NJ also has an office in a health club in Manhattan but the NJ office mgr was out and couldn't give me more information. I'll call back tomorrow. In the meantime I made an appointment with the first dr.I had spoken to for a consult next week. Yes, he was listed on the website. There are also 2 other full body certified ART drs.in his office. This one has 5 yrs experience. Well, after all this research, I hope I'll find I am indeed a candidate for this because there's not much left. He should be able to tell me on the first visit. I'd really prefer to give you all the names & details by e-mail rather than post it here. I can also tell you about my neurologist visit today, which was interesting. My e-mail address is above.