Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Knot a new problem

Posted by wendyn on 5/28/01 at 22:30 (049172)

I have a new one for you folks....

When I used to be super active woman (jogging/aerobics/step) about 3 years ago, I developed funny bumps on both shins. One was so pronounced and persistent - I had a bone scan done. It was fine. When my feet got bad, and I reduced my activity to almost zero- the bumps went away.

Well, my feet have been feeling better and I've been increasing my activity. I am definately walking a lot more, and faster than I have been for 2 years.

Shore 'nuff - I've got little funny knots again on each shin. Well - today just on one. It's sore, and it's bruised (they always bruise and NO it's not from walking in to things).

Does anyone have ANY thoughts on what the heck this is or what I can do about it? It concerns me a bit because it did preceede my really bad foot problems and I'm hoping it's not a sign that something is going wrong again.

Re: Knot a new problem

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 23:12 (049178)

Hi Wendyn, How long do they last for?? Now you say it bruises ,does it change colors?? I'm with you I hope your feet are not going to act up now ..You have been doing really well...Maybe someone else has had this and will reply to you. Laurie R

wendyn on 5/28/01 at 23:22 (049182)

The one really bad one I had lasted months - probably close to 6 months. Other little ones seem to come and go - maybe a few weeks. They don't really change colors like a bruise - they stay kind of an icky light brown.

I am going to look dead sexy this summer in shorts.

A million years ago when I was a kid I had a rather rare condition that affected my shins called 'erethyma nodosum' - spelling may not be right. But I don't think this is what it is in this case - but I could be wrong. I seem to remember those lumps as being really really big and very painful.

Cynthia D on 5/29/01 at 08:51 (049200)

Wendy, I'm so happy to hear that you are out taking walks - how wonderful it must feel.

Too bad about the knots in your shins. I have little 'knots' sort of all over, in the shins, too. But no bruising. My internist said that it was a product of aging! I'm 'only' just 40! It sounds like yours is more concentrated, though, and related to exercising. If you ride a bike instead of walking, does this still happen?

john h on 5/29/01 at 08:55 (049203)

sometime in my liftime it seems i had some knots on my shin wendy. i do not remember when or how long i had them. they went away and caused no pain.

AJ on 5/29/01 at 10:32 (049213)

Hi Wendyn!
Could they be cysts? I've had small bumps like that but they were never painful. I never saw a doc for it either. Maybe try a dermatologist? Just a thought! Take care.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 19:48 (049273)

No - I don't think they're cysts. As far as I know they are some type of tendonitis...I see the orthepedic surgeon Thursday for a chat so I will try to add it to my list of questions.

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:29 (049330)

wendy: are there tendons on the shin bone? i can feel nothing but the bone on my shin.

Rock Cogar on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049374)

Wendyn,

Little bumps/lumps on shins are common on very long distance runners legs. I have never heard of them causing problems. I have them.

My guess is that bumps/lumps on shins are related to bone regeneration that is required to repair the daily micro damage to the shins by walking and/or running.

Rock.

Paula A on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049398)

Wendy,

Hope the Doc gives you some answers tomorrow on the knot
problem. I've never experienced that. I am sorry to hear
they are sore and bothering you. Is it a swelling or is
it hard to the touch?

Take good care,

Paula

john h on 5/31/01 at 10:40 (049459)

rock: ialso have many little bumps along my shins. i never related them to running i just thought everyone had them.

Laurie R on 5/28/01 at 23:12 (049178)

Hi Wendyn, How long do they last for?? Now you say it bruises ,does it change colors?? I'm with you I hope your feet are not going to act up now ..You have been doing really well...Maybe someone else has had this and will reply to you. Laurie R

wendyn on 5/28/01 at 23:22 (049182)

The one really bad one I had lasted months - probably close to 6 months. Other little ones seem to come and go - maybe a few weeks. They don't really change colors like a bruise - they stay kind of an icky light brown.

I am going to look dead sexy this summer in shorts.

A million years ago when I was a kid I had a rather rare condition that affected my shins called 'erethyma nodosum' - spelling may not be right. But I don't think this is what it is in this case - but I could be wrong. I seem to remember those lumps as being really really big and very painful.

Cynthia D on 5/29/01 at 08:51 (049200)

Wendy, I'm so happy to hear that you are out taking walks - how wonderful it must feel.

Too bad about the knots in your shins. I have little 'knots' sort of all over, in the shins, too. But no bruising. My internist said that it was a product of aging! I'm 'only' just 40! It sounds like yours is more concentrated, though, and related to exercising. If you ride a bike instead of walking, does this still happen?

john h on 5/29/01 at 08:55 (049203)

sometime in my liftime it seems i had some knots on my shin wendy. i do not remember when or how long i had them. they went away and caused no pain.

AJ on 5/29/01 at 10:32 (049213)

Hi Wendyn!
Could they be cysts? I've had small bumps like that but they were never painful. I never saw a doc for it either. Maybe try a dermatologist? Just a thought! Take care.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 19:48 (049273)

No - I don't think they're cysts. As far as I know they are some type of tendonitis...I see the orthepedic surgeon Thursday for a chat so I will try to add it to my list of questions.

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:29 (049330)

wendy: are there tendons on the shin bone? i can feel nothing but the bone on my shin.

Rock Cogar on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049374)

Wendyn,

Little bumps/lumps on shins are common on very long distance runners legs. I have never heard of them causing problems. I have them.

My guess is that bumps/lumps on shins are related to bone regeneration that is required to repair the daily micro damage to the shins by walking and/or running.

Rock.

Paula A on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049398)

Wendy,

Hope the Doc gives you some answers tomorrow on the knot
problem. I've never experienced that. I am sorry to hear
they are sore and bothering you. Is it a swelling or is
it hard to the touch?

Take good care,

Paula

john h on 5/31/01 at 10:40 (049459)

rock: ialso have many little bumps along my shins. i never related them to running i just thought everyone had them.