Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot surgery: Dr Zuckerman

Posted by Joanna on 5/29/01 at 08:39 (049196)

I have been having pain in my feet (the pain is at the sole, the heels, toes and all over) on and off for a couple of years now. I spoke to my general physician about it and he did examine me. He said that one of the reasons for my pain, among other things was the fact that my feet were too big and that I needed some kind of surgery to make them smaller. I have never heard of such a thing and did not even know that such a procedure was available. I am only 5'3 and wear size 10 shoes. I have been embarassed about my feet and this problem for so long that I do not know what to do. I need some advice, please help!

Re: Something similar

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 09:24 (049209)

Hi Joanna,

I'm not a doc, but I can tell you this has been discussed before. First, I'd get a second opinion. Second, if you follow these directions, hopefully you can read about a similar case. Click on SEARCH, which is at the top right of the page. When the search page comes up, click on the message board and go down to the 'open space' and type in 'sara randall'. Click on search. When her first message comes up, click on 'View thread' and you can read it all. It was pretty interesting. Good luck.

Maybe some kind soul will come along and put a link in to that thread, it's beyond my capabilities.

BCG

Julie on 5/29/01 at 10:35 (049215)

Brian, this was a totally different situation in every way.

Re: No, not similar

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 10:42 (049218)

OK, sorry. Shoulda waited for the doc !!!

Re: Foot surgery: Dr Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 11:15 (049219)

If you have the pain without your shoes on then the size of your feet don't play into the picture. Tell us about the shoe gear that you are wearing please

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 11:16 (049220)

Hi Brian,

I remember the case that you are talking about . Wow what a good memory. May be similiar but there appears to to clinical pain with this poster

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 11:47 (049225)

Well, I didn't think they were entirely different. Both had feet that were preceived to be too big, both were asking about surgery to make them smaller. I guess the difference is, one has pain, the other didn't.

BCG

Julie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049301)

Thanks Brian. Email me if you like and I'll explain.

Re: Foot surgery: to Joanna

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:35 (049303)

Hi Joanna

Something else has just occurred to me. You said you are embarrassed by the size of your feet. Could you possibly be wearing shoes a size or two too small to make them look smaller? If so, that could be contributing to your pain.

Also, I've just noticed that your physician said 'among other things'. Did he say what the other things are? (Whatever they are, I do think you should be examined by a foot doctor.)

Julie

Re: Foot surgery

Joanna on 5/30/01 at 09:09 (049326)

Thanks to all of you who wrote back. I have made an appointment to see a podiatrist for a second opinion and will take you from there. You guys gave me the courage to take that step and I am grateful to you for that.

Brian, thanks for taking the time to give me the link to the Sara Randall story, that was really interesting.

Julie, even though I am embarassed by the size of my feet, I do not wear shoes that are smaller because I do not want my feet damaged. Hopefully, I will find the cause of this pain when I see the podiatrist.

Dr. Zuckerman, I did not understand what you meant when you asked that I tell you what kind of shoe gear I wear. Are you talking about shoe styles? I wear lots of flats, open-toe shoes, thongs, sneakers, mules, slides, etc but no heels.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 09:54 (049336)

I was talking about the kind of shoe you wear.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 13:44 (049363)

Joanna, about shoes (glad yours are the right size for you!).

If you have PF, your arches need good support all the time. Over the counter inserts have helped lots of people, but if the problem is due to a biomechanical fault you may be helped by custom orthotics. A good podiatrist will evaluate your gait and if he finds that you are over-pronating, he may suggest this.

If you try taping your feet, according to the instructions in the heel pain book, and if it helps, that suggests that orthotics will help you.

I don't know if you have ever tried Birkenstock sandals. These have good arch support, and many of us swear by them. They don't suit everyone, though.

I haven't been able to find the original thread (and don't want to risk losing this message I'm typing) so I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the No Barefoot rule! Never go barefoot, not even to go to the loo in the middle of the night, or in the shower. Your arches need support all the time.

I'm so glad you've decided to see a podiatrist and I hope he turns out to be a good one, and really helps you. Please keep us posted on how things go for you.

All the best, Julie

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 09:24 (049209)

Hi Joanna,

I'm not a doc, but I can tell you this has been discussed before. First, I'd get a second opinion. Second, if you follow these directions, hopefully you can read about a similar case. Click on SEARCH, which is at the top right of the page. When the search page comes up, click on the message board and go down to the 'open space' and type in 'sara randall'. Click on search. When her first message comes up, click on 'View thread' and you can read it all. It was pretty interesting. Good luck.

Maybe some kind soul will come along and put a link in to that thread, it's beyond my capabilities.

BCG

Julie on 5/29/01 at 10:35 (049215)

Brian, this was a totally different situation in every way.

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 10:42 (049218)

OK, sorry. Shoulda waited for the doc !!!

Re: Foot surgery: Dr Zuckerman

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 11:15 (049219)

If you have the pain without your shoes on then the size of your feet don't play into the picture. Tell us about the shoe gear that you are wearing please

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 11:16 (049220)

Hi Brian,

I remember the case that you are talking about . Wow what a good memory. May be similiar but there appears to to clinical pain with this poster

BrianG on 5/29/01 at 11:47 (049225)

Well, I didn't think they were entirely different. Both had feet that were preceived to be too big, both were asking about surgery to make them smaller. I guess the difference is, one has pain, the other didn't.

BCG

Julie on 5/30/01 at hrmin (049301)

Thanks Brian. Email me if you like and I'll explain.

Re: Foot surgery: to Joanna

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:35 (049303)

Hi Joanna

Something else has just occurred to me. You said you are embarrassed by the size of your feet. Could you possibly be wearing shoes a size or two too small to make them look smaller? If so, that could be contributing to your pain.

Also, I've just noticed that your physician said 'among other things'. Did he say what the other things are? (Whatever they are, I do think you should be examined by a foot doctor.)

Julie

Joanna on 5/30/01 at 09:09 (049326)

Thanks to all of you who wrote back. I have made an appointment to see a podiatrist for a second opinion and will take you from there. You guys gave me the courage to take that step and I am grateful to you for that.

Brian, thanks for taking the time to give me the link to the Sara Randall story, that was really interesting.

Julie, even though I am embarassed by the size of my feet, I do not wear shoes that are smaller because I do not want my feet damaged. Hopefully, I will find the cause of this pain when I see the podiatrist.

Dr. Zuckerman, I did not understand what you meant when you asked that I tell you what kind of shoe gear I wear. Are you talking about shoe styles? I wear lots of flats, open-toe shoes, thongs, sneakers, mules, slides, etc but no heels.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 09:54 (049336)

I was talking about the kind of shoe you wear.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 13:44 (049363)

Joanna, about shoes (glad yours are the right size for you!).

If you have PF, your arches need good support all the time. Over the counter inserts have helped lots of people, but if the problem is due to a biomechanical fault you may be helped by custom orthotics. A good podiatrist will evaluate your gait and if he finds that you are over-pronating, he may suggest this.

If you try taping your feet, according to the instructions in the heel pain book, and if it helps, that suggests that orthotics will help you.

I don't know if you have ever tried Birkenstock sandals. These have good arch support, and many of us swear by them. They don't suit everyone, though.

I haven't been able to find the original thread (and don't want to risk losing this message I'm typing) so I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the No Barefoot rule! Never go barefoot, not even to go to the loo in the middle of the night, or in the shower. Your arches need support all the time.

I'm so glad you've decided to see a podiatrist and I hope he turns out to be a good one, and really helps you. Please keep us posted on how things go for you.

All the best, Julie