Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Im always in pain

Posted by Heather on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049230)

Hello I have a question.I am 26 years old I was told by a podiatrist I have a heal spur..well she kept on injecting me with steroids..I called her one day and said it is not helping me I am not going through those shots anymore..I am skinny I have a really great arch and she says its really weird I have a heel spur..well anyways I want the pain to go away I was wondering if any podiatrist will just give me the surgery because I am a very active person and I want it out of my foot because everyday it hurts burns and sometimes I can't walk..And I am scared to go to another doctor I don't want to be injected with shots..so what should I do...

Sincerly,
Heather with a heel spur

Re: Im always in pain

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:33 (049239)

Hi Heather , I'm not a doctor but I was just wondering how many shots did your doctor give you?? Laurie R

Valerie S on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049244)

Hi Heather.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I really understand what you are going through when you say you want it out of your foot... sometimes I would think it would be better to have no feet than this pain!

Don't give up hope. You are young and fit and have a great chance of getting better WITHOUT surgery. Like you, when I found this message board I thought I was ready for surgery to just 'Get it over with.' The information, advice and support that I found here has helped me immensely, and although I am still trying to find what will help cure MY case of heelspurs/plantar fasciitis, I just want to tell you there is hope.

How long have you had this pain and did your podiatrist talk about Plantar Fasciitis with you, or just heel spur? They usually go hand in hand, and some theories say that the pain is really from the PF, not from the actual spur. My pod told me that lots of people get spurs with no pain, and warned me not to get hung up on the spur being the cause of my pain.

I am not a doctor, but if the only treatment you have received is cortizone injection, I would strongly recommend you get a 2nd opinion. The injections can weaken the tissue and cause even more problems for you. There are many other treatments that you should be trying... including icing, stretching, orthotics (OTC or custom made), anti-inflammatory medication... The first thing I would recommend doing for yourself is to read the PF Book here at heelspurs.com... Scott has put together so much helpful information. Print it out and read it. You will find lots of ways you can use to try to help yourself feel better.

Unfortunately, there is no miracle shot, no miracle drug, not even a miracle surgery that will cure every case of heel spurs. Each case is different, and every person responds to different treatments or combination of treatments. The real cure is finding what works for you, and ... you're not going to like this: TIME and REST. Patience. Easy to say, I know... a hard pill to swallow.

Sorry for being so long-winded. I saw your post and really could relate to what you are going through. If you need a friend, you will find many here. You have made a great step in helping yourself... You CAN get better. Let us know what's on your mind, and there are many people here can help. Now read the book... there's a link at the top of almost every page.

Take it easy, Heather... keep us posted.
Val.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:47 (049252)

I am sorry to here that you are in such pain. An MRI at this point time may help to rule out a stress fracture and to evaluate your joints, tendons, and ligament in the foot and ankle.

ESWT is a non surgical option for chronic proximal plantar fasciitis and or heel spur pain.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:50 (049306)

Dear Heather-with-a-heel-spur

Do be careful with the cortisone. As Val has explained, it can weaken the tissues. How many shots have you had?

It sounds as though no-one has given you information and advice about plantar fasciitis, so please follow Val's excellent advice and read the heel pain book.

You say you're an active person. What does that mean, and have you cut down on activity or are you trying to run or walk through the pain? PF is an injury (the fascia is torn at the point where it inserts into the heelbone) and it needs rest in order to heal.

Your shoes need to be good quality, and supportive. You shouldn't ever go barefoot. And you need to be patient: there is no quick fix. There's lots of other things to know, so read the book, and do find another foot doctor who is prepared to spend time with you and co-operate in your healing process.

Surgery is a last resort, which, if you are unfortunate, which many people have been, can leave you with more pain and more problems than you have now. All the conservative treatments else should be tried first, and if they all fail, you then have ESWT as an option before even considering surgery.

Dr Zuckerman has explained to us in the past that the formation of a heel spur is actually the body's _response_ to the injury to the plantar fascia: it lays down deposits of bone in an attempt to heal the tear. It seems to be agreed now that in the vast majority of cases of heel pain, the spur is not the cause, but the effect. All foot types can get PF: the fact that you have a high arch doesn't exempt you.

Good luck in your efforts to heal. You'll find a lot of information and support on these message boards, as well as in the heel pain book.

All the best, Julie

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:33 (049239)

Hi Heather , I'm not a doctor but I was just wondering how many shots did your doctor give you?? Laurie R

Valerie S on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049244)

Hi Heather.

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I really understand what you are going through when you say you want it out of your foot... sometimes I would think it would be better to have no feet than this pain!

Don't give up hope. You are young and fit and have a great chance of getting better WITHOUT surgery. Like you, when I found this message board I thought I was ready for surgery to just 'Get it over with.' The information, advice and support that I found here has helped me immensely, and although I am still trying to find what will help cure MY case of heelspurs/plantar fasciitis, I just want to tell you there is hope.

How long have you had this pain and did your podiatrist talk about Plantar Fasciitis with you, or just heel spur? They usually go hand in hand, and some theories say that the pain is really from the PF, not from the actual spur. My pod told me that lots of people get spurs with no pain, and warned me not to get hung up on the spur being the cause of my pain.

I am not a doctor, but if the only treatment you have received is cortizone injection, I would strongly recommend you get a 2nd opinion. The injections can weaken the tissue and cause even more problems for you. There are many other treatments that you should be trying... including icing, stretching, orthotics (OTC or custom made), anti-inflammatory medication... The first thing I would recommend doing for yourself is to read the PF Book here at heelspurs.com... Scott has put together so much helpful information. Print it out and read it. You will find lots of ways you can use to try to help yourself feel better.

Unfortunately, there is no miracle shot, no miracle drug, not even a miracle surgery that will cure every case of heel spurs. Each case is different, and every person responds to different treatments or combination of treatments. The real cure is finding what works for you, and ... you're not going to like this: TIME and REST. Patience. Easy to say, I know... a hard pill to swallow.

Sorry for being so long-winded. I saw your post and really could relate to what you are going through. If you need a friend, you will find many here. You have made a great step in helping yourself... You CAN get better. Let us know what's on your mind, and there are many people here can help. Now read the book... there's a link at the top of almost every page.

Take it easy, Heather... keep us posted.
Val.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:47 (049252)

I am sorry to here that you are in such pain. An MRI at this point time may help to rule out a stress fracture and to evaluate your joints, tendons, and ligament in the foot and ankle.

ESWT is a non surgical option for chronic proximal plantar fasciitis and or heel spur pain.

Julie on 5/30/01 at 01:50 (049306)

Dear Heather-with-a-heel-spur

Do be careful with the cortisone. As Val has explained, it can weaken the tissues. How many shots have you had?

It sounds as though no-one has given you information and advice about plantar fasciitis, so please follow Val's excellent advice and read the heel pain book.

You say you're an active person. What does that mean, and have you cut down on activity or are you trying to run or walk through the pain? PF is an injury (the fascia is torn at the point where it inserts into the heelbone) and it needs rest in order to heal.

Your shoes need to be good quality, and supportive. You shouldn't ever go barefoot. And you need to be patient: there is no quick fix. There's lots of other things to know, so read the book, and do find another foot doctor who is prepared to spend time with you and co-operate in your healing process.

Surgery is a last resort, which, if you are unfortunate, which many people have been, can leave you with more pain and more problems than you have now. All the conservative treatments else should be tried first, and if they all fail, you then have ESWT as an option before even considering surgery.

Dr Zuckerman has explained to us in the past that the formation of a heel spur is actually the body's _response_ to the injury to the plantar fascia: it lays down deposits of bone in an attempt to heal the tear. It seems to be agreed now that in the vast majority of cases of heel pain, the spur is not the cause, but the effect. All foot types can get PF: the fact that you have a high arch doesn't exempt you.

Good luck in your efforts to heal. You'll find a lot of information and support on these message boards, as well as in the heel pain book.

All the best, Julie