Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Well the surgery ison the 7 of June and boy am I scared.

Posted by cindyp on 5/29/01 at 12:39 (049231)

They are going to do two procedures at once. Said it would take about and hour give or take 15 minutes. The TTS surgery and then removing the tumor. God I maybe am being a baby but am really nervous.

Re: Well the surgery ison the 7 of June and boy am I scared.

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:27 (049237)

Hi Cindy , You are not being a baby ... You have been in so much pain and also you have waited so long for treatment. I hope and pray that this surgery is going to take you out of pain.. I would be nervous too. I think anybody would. Now do you stay in the hospital or do you go home after your surgery?? I know most surgeries today are in and out. Do you have someone that can help you when you get home?? My very best to you Cindy ... Laurie R

cindyp on 5/29/01 at 14:49 (049247)

It's a same day deal and then out the door and home. I've got lots of people around who are going to help me. I understand the recovery from this can be just awful. I wonder why that the dr. immediately opted for surgery. Probably because it's been this bad for this long .

Steve P on 5/29/01 at 18:01 (049258)

Cindy --- Our best to you! I know you've been on the board a long time & have hung in there through one episode after another. We all hope this will be the 'beginning of the end' of your foot problems!

Be sure to keep us up to date.

Best..........Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 18:02 (049259)

Good luck you will do fine!!!!

Cynthia D on 5/29/01 at 18:08 (049263)

Best wishes. I hope everything goes well. We'll be thinking of you on the 7th. Do you have lots of good books to read and cable tv? How about scrapbooking? My new hobby. You can get all those family memories organized and stay off your feet! Hope everything goes well for you! Let us know when you feel up to posting again.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 19:43 (049271)

Cindy - if my memory serves me correct...I recall that you have had a lot of trouble with neuromas and TTS and that you've seen a few doctors. I also thought they tried several different treatments and medications with no success. If that's the case - is this new doctor really jumping the gun and moving too fast?

cindyp on 5/29/01 at 20:00 (049278)

No actually he isn't when I found out that was the plan of action I went to the tts board and found out the courses of treatments. So I was just figuring since this had been this way for so long( as i think back my big toe hasbeen numb off and on for about15 years) I was just scaring myself outloud.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 20:08 (049279)

I know what that's like - I'm very good at scaring myself too. Surgery should always be a last resort - but if you're not getting better, then at some point you have to trust a doctor to go in there and try to put things right.

Do lots of deep breathing the next two weeks, maybe some meditation with a candle to focus on- visualize a very good surgery and a healing foot. Try not to focus on what scares you (I know this is easier said than done).

And just as important, keep popping in for support and to let us know how you are doing!!!

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:03 (049324)

Hi Cindy,

When I had my surgery, I told the doc No pain, No infection! I never did get an infection, and the pain didn't come untill I woke up the next morning. If your worried about either, tell your doc. You can get the pills in advance and start taking them as soon as you get home. About the pain, it's much easier to keep it under control from the beginning, than trying to make phone calls and pharmacy runs when your really hurting. Try not to worry, I'm sure you won't feel a thing during the procedure. There's lot's of good blocks out there now.

BCG

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:34 (049332)

cindy: i had three surgeries at once (tts,chelictomy,pf release) out of hospital 1 hour after surgery. the cheilectomy caused some pain as the bone was cut but the tts and pf release pain was minor at worst. on crutches for 2 weeks. keep the feet elevate and ice (if possible). how did your doctor diagnose TTS? Did he explain his diagnosis? That is most difficult to diagnosis because you can get false positives in some of the test.

cindyp on 5/30/01 at 22:17 (049415)

I have never had any of the standard tests per se. Just when they got the mri films back and saw that large tumor that's what he said. He also talked to me and asked me questions related to symptoms and such. My tarsel tunnel area is and has been swollen to the size of a grape fruit for years. My big toe has been numb for about 15 years. My guess is that the tumor on the lateral side displace tissue on the inside and entrapped the nerve on the other side?

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:27 (049237)

Hi Cindy , You are not being a baby ... You have been in so much pain and also you have waited so long for treatment. I hope and pray that this surgery is going to take you out of pain.. I would be nervous too. I think anybody would. Now do you stay in the hospital or do you go home after your surgery?? I know most surgeries today are in and out. Do you have someone that can help you when you get home?? My very best to you Cindy ... Laurie R

cindyp on 5/29/01 at 14:49 (049247)

It's a same day deal and then out the door and home. I've got lots of people around who are going to help me. I understand the recovery from this can be just awful. I wonder why that the dr. immediately opted for surgery. Probably because it's been this bad for this long .

Steve P on 5/29/01 at 18:01 (049258)

Cindy --- Our best to you! I know you've been on the board a long time & have hung in there through one episode after another. We all hope this will be the 'beginning of the end' of your foot problems!

Be sure to keep us up to date.

Best..........Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 18:02 (049259)

Good luck you will do fine!!!!

Cynthia D on 5/29/01 at 18:08 (049263)

Best wishes. I hope everything goes well. We'll be thinking of you on the 7th. Do you have lots of good books to read and cable tv? How about scrapbooking? My new hobby. You can get all those family memories organized and stay off your feet! Hope everything goes well for you! Let us know when you feel up to posting again.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 19:43 (049271)

Cindy - if my memory serves me correct...I recall that you have had a lot of trouble with neuromas and TTS and that you've seen a few doctors. I also thought they tried several different treatments and medications with no success. If that's the case - is this new doctor really jumping the gun and moving too fast?

cindyp on 5/29/01 at 20:00 (049278)

No actually he isn't when I found out that was the plan of action I went to the tts board and found out the courses of treatments. So I was just figuring since this had been this way for so long( as i think back my big toe hasbeen numb off and on for about15 years) I was just scaring myself outloud.

wendyn on 5/29/01 at 20:08 (049279)

I know what that's like - I'm very good at scaring myself too. Surgery should always be a last resort - but if you're not getting better, then at some point you have to trust a doctor to go in there and try to put things right.

Do lots of deep breathing the next two weeks, maybe some meditation with a candle to focus on- visualize a very good surgery and a healing foot. Try not to focus on what scares you (I know this is easier said than done).

And just as important, keep popping in for support and to let us know how you are doing!!!

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:03 (049324)

Hi Cindy,

When I had my surgery, I told the doc No pain, No infection! I never did get an infection, and the pain didn't come untill I woke up the next morning. If your worried about either, tell your doc. You can get the pills in advance and start taking them as soon as you get home. About the pain, it's much easier to keep it under control from the beginning, than trying to make phone calls and pharmacy runs when your really hurting. Try not to worry, I'm sure you won't feel a thing during the procedure. There's lot's of good blocks out there now.

BCG

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:34 (049332)

cindy: i had three surgeries at once (tts,chelictomy,pf release) out of hospital 1 hour after surgery. the cheilectomy caused some pain as the bone was cut but the tts and pf release pain was minor at worst. on crutches for 2 weeks. keep the feet elevate and ice (if possible). how did your doctor diagnose TTS? Did he explain his diagnosis? That is most difficult to diagnosis because you can get false positives in some of the test.

cindyp on 5/30/01 at 22:17 (049415)

I have never had any of the standard tests per se. Just when they got the mri films back and saw that large tumor that's what he said. He also talked to me and asked me questions related to symptoms and such. My tarsel tunnel area is and has been swollen to the size of a grape fruit for years. My big toe has been numb for about 15 years. My guess is that the tumor on the lateral side displace tissue on the inside and entrapped the nerve on the other side?