Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 DAYS POST OP--INCISION IS AWAKE NOW!!

Posted by MARY S. on 5/29/01 at 13:29 (049238)

MY BODY IS GETTING OVER THE SHOCK OF PULLING MYSELF AROUND ON THE WALKER, BUT NOW MY INCISION HAS COME ALIVE!! I AM TAKING MEDS AND THEY DO HELP. TRYING TO KEP LEG ELEVATED BUT IT STILL SEEMS TO BE SWELLING. CAN'T SEE INCISION-JUST HOPE THERE IS NO INFECTION. I GO BACK TO DR. THURS. I'M ANXIOUS TO MOVE TO THE NEXT PHASE OF THIS WHATEVER IT MAY BE. I HOPE ALL MESSAGE BOARD FOLKS ARE HAVING A GOOD, PAIN FREE DAY!!

Re: 3 DAYS POST OP--INCISION IS AWAKE NOW!!

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:36 (049240)

Hi Mary , I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Also that you are taking your pain meds and they are not helping you. Maybe you could go in and see your doctor before Thursday and tell him that your pain meds are not working . Maybe he can give you something stronger.... I hope you start to feel better real soon.....Laurie R

Andrea R. on 5/29/01 at 14:05 (049245)

If your foot is swelling, keep it elevated and ICE IT! Take the pain meds as prescribed. If it's one every four to six hours, never go more than five hours between pills if possible. You need to keep ahead of the pain.

Call your doctor and good luck.

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:20 (049327)

Hi Mary,

If your thinking about infection, take your temp. I'd be concerned with anything 102 and above. And yes, there are always stronger pain meds available, as long as your not having any reactions to them. Good luck

BCG

MARY S. on 5/30/01 at 18:25 (049393)

THANKS, BRIAN, FOR ADVICE. GOING BACK TO MY DOCTOR TOMORROW FOR FIRST CHECK-UP. I WILL BE ANXIOUS TO BE ABLE TO SEE MY LEG FOR THE FIRST TIME. WHAT I AM FEELING MY BE NORMAL--CAN BE COMPARED TO A BAD WASP STING ON THE SURFACE AND INTO MUSCLE. THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS WAS REALLY NOT BAD, PROBABLY DUE TO NUMBING MED DURING SURGERY. NOW IS A DIFFERENT STORY. I DO NOT HAVE FEVER, SO I'M NOT GOING TO WORRY ABOUT INFECTION. THE LONGEST THAT I SLEEP AT A TIME IS 3 HRS. I KNEW THIS WASN'T GOING TO BE A BED OF ROSES, BUT IT JUST HELPS TO SHARE CONCERNS WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE ALSO HAD PROBLEMS. THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME OUT. I REMEMBER THAT YOU SAID THAT YOU ARE IN ALOT OF PAIN--HERE'S HOPING FOR RELIEF FOR YOU.

Re: Sleep, it's important !!!

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:08 (049447)

Hi Mary,

If you read this before going to the doc, and you still can't sleep, you might want to ask for something like a few Valium. They work well, especially for the short term. Good luck

BCG

Re: BRIAN

MARY S. on 5/31/01 at 18:32 (049502)

SAW THE DOCTOR TODAY. HE REMOVED THE ORGINAL CAST AND PUT ON A HUGE WALKING BOOT. THE INCISION LOOKED GOOD TO HIM, BUT NOT PRETTY TO ME. VERY LITTLE SWELLING OR REDNESS. HE SAID THAT I COULD START PUTTING A LITTLE WEIGHT ON MY FOOT AND COULD SLEEP WITH THE BOOT OFF. THAT SOUNDS JUST WONDERFUL!! HE GAVE ME AMBIEN FOR SLEEP AND HAVING THE BOOT OFF WILL ALSO HELP. HE HAS NEVER MENTIONED USING ICE, BUT I THINK THAT IT WOULD PROBABLY HELP. I AM TO BEGIN SOME VERY SLIGHT STRETCHES WITH MY FOOT. IT FEELS SO TIGHT AND PULLS HARD IN MY CALF WHEN I DO, BUT I HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE. I AM TO CONTINUE LIKE THIS UNTIL I SEE HIM AGAIN IN 2 WEEKS. I FELT LIKE A BIRD OUT OF A CAGE TODAY GOING TO THE DOCTOR. NEVER DID I THINK I WOULD GET EXCITED OVER A DOCTOR'S VISIT--IT WAS JUST GREAT TO BE OUT--EVEN WENT OUT FOR LUNCH!! BRIAN, THANKS FOR STAYING IN TOUCH. I APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE. HOPE YOU ARE FEELING WELL AND HAD A GOOD DAY.

BrianG on 6/01/01 at 19:54 (049638)

Hi mary,

Good news. I'm sure the walking cast will feel much better. I used one for awile. I'm sure your doc has seen numerous heels, and if he says it looks good, then you gottago with him as long as your in too much pain.

The Ambien will help you to sleep also. My mom got some after dad died, as she was having a hrad time, especially with sleeping. She still takes it one or twice a week, for sleep, and said it works every time. As far as I know, she doesn't have any after effects in the morning. She gets up at a normal time and goes to a health club to exercise. Take the Ambien, your fortunate your doc trusted you to try it. Keep on healing.

BCG

MARY S. on 6/01/01 at 20:11 (049639)

THANKS AGAIN, BRIAN. THE AMBIEN IS GREAT AND DIDN'T FEEL IN A GROG. WHAT ABOUT YOU--HOW IS YOU SITUATION??? HOPING ALL IS WELL.

BrianG on 6/03/01 at 09:00 (049736)

Hi Mary,

I'm not doing all that good today, as I went out and tortured my heels yesterday on a bass boat. It was a nice boat, and did have carpet on the plywood decking. Yesterday I played, today I pay!

I just go my new orthotics on Thursday. Haven't spent much time in them, but I'm hoping they will take away a big chunk of the pain.

Regards
BCG

Laurie R on 5/29/01 at 13:36 (049240)

Hi Mary , I am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Also that you are taking your pain meds and they are not helping you. Maybe you could go in and see your doctor before Thursday and tell him that your pain meds are not working . Maybe he can give you something stronger.... I hope you start to feel better real soon.....Laurie R

Andrea R. on 5/29/01 at 14:05 (049245)

If your foot is swelling, keep it elevated and ICE IT! Take the pain meds as prescribed. If it's one every four to six hours, never go more than five hours between pills if possible. You need to keep ahead of the pain.

Call your doctor and good luck.

BrianG on 5/30/01 at 09:20 (049327)

Hi Mary,

If your thinking about infection, take your temp. I'd be concerned with anything 102 and above. And yes, there are always stronger pain meds available, as long as your not having any reactions to them. Good luck

BCG

MARY S. on 5/30/01 at 18:25 (049393)

THANKS, BRIAN, FOR ADVICE. GOING BACK TO MY DOCTOR TOMORROW FOR FIRST CHECK-UP. I WILL BE ANXIOUS TO BE ABLE TO SEE MY LEG FOR THE FIRST TIME. WHAT I AM FEELING MY BE NORMAL--CAN BE COMPARED TO A BAD WASP STING ON THE SURFACE AND INTO MUSCLE. THE FIRST COUPLE OF DAYS WAS REALLY NOT BAD, PROBABLY DUE TO NUMBING MED DURING SURGERY. NOW IS A DIFFERENT STORY. I DO NOT HAVE FEVER, SO I'M NOT GOING TO WORRY ABOUT INFECTION. THE LONGEST THAT I SLEEP AT A TIME IS 3 HRS. I KNEW THIS WASN'T GOING TO BE A BED OF ROSES, BUT IT JUST HELPS TO SHARE CONCERNS WITH OTHERS WHO HAVE ALSO HAD PROBLEMS. THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME OUT. I REMEMBER THAT YOU SAID THAT YOU ARE IN ALOT OF PAIN--HERE'S HOPING FOR RELIEF FOR YOU.

Re: Sleep, it's important !!!

BrianG on 5/31/01 at 08:08 (049447)

Hi Mary,

If you read this before going to the doc, and you still can't sleep, you might want to ask for something like a few Valium. They work well, especially for the short term. Good luck

BCG

MARY S. on 5/31/01 at 18:32 (049502)

SAW THE DOCTOR TODAY. HE REMOVED THE ORGINAL CAST AND PUT ON A HUGE WALKING BOOT. THE INCISION LOOKED GOOD TO HIM, BUT NOT PRETTY TO ME. VERY LITTLE SWELLING OR REDNESS. HE SAID THAT I COULD START PUTTING A LITTLE WEIGHT ON MY FOOT AND COULD SLEEP WITH THE BOOT OFF. THAT SOUNDS JUST WONDERFUL!! HE GAVE ME AMBIEN FOR SLEEP AND HAVING THE BOOT OFF WILL ALSO HELP. HE HAS NEVER MENTIONED USING ICE, BUT I THINK THAT IT WOULD PROBABLY HELP. I AM TO BEGIN SOME VERY SLIGHT STRETCHES WITH MY FOOT. IT FEELS SO TIGHT AND PULLS HARD IN MY CALF WHEN I DO, BUT I HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE. I AM TO CONTINUE LIKE THIS UNTIL I SEE HIM AGAIN IN 2 WEEKS. I FELT LIKE A BIRD OUT OF A CAGE TODAY GOING TO THE DOCTOR. NEVER DID I THINK I WOULD GET EXCITED OVER A DOCTOR'S VISIT--IT WAS JUST GREAT TO BE OUT--EVEN WENT OUT FOR LUNCH!! BRIAN, THANKS FOR STAYING IN TOUCH. I APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE. HOPE YOU ARE FEELING WELL AND HAD A GOOD DAY.

BrianG on 6/01/01 at 19:54 (049638)

Hi mary,

Good news. I'm sure the walking cast will feel much better. I used one for awile. I'm sure your doc has seen numerous heels, and if he says it looks good, then you gottago with him as long as your in too much pain.

The Ambien will help you to sleep also. My mom got some after dad died, as she was having a hrad time, especially with sleeping. She still takes it one or twice a week, for sleep, and said it works every time. As far as I know, she doesn't have any after effects in the morning. She gets up at a normal time and goes to a health club to exercise. Take the Ambien, your fortunate your doc trusted you to try it. Keep on healing.

BCG

MARY S. on 6/01/01 at 20:11 (049639)

THANKS AGAIN, BRIAN. THE AMBIEN IS GREAT AND DIDN'T FEEL IN A GROG. WHAT ABOUT YOU--HOW IS YOU SITUATION??? HOPING ALL IS WELL.

BrianG on 6/03/01 at 09:00 (049736)

Hi Mary,

I'm not doing all that good today, as I went out and tortured my heels yesterday on a bass boat. It was a nice boat, and did have carpet on the plywood decking. Yesterday I played, today I pay!

I just go my new orthotics on Thursday. Haven't spent much time in them, but I'm hoping they will take away a big chunk of the pain.

Regards
BCG