Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thinking of eswt-one foot or both feet?

Posted by anita on 5/29/01 at 13:50 (049242)

I want to start considering ESWT for treatment. I have heel pain in both feet, worse in right. Should I think about getting both done? since I will have to travel out of town wherever I decide to go? or the worse foot? How many treatments does one require? How much rest is required after the procedure?

any info is appreciated.

Re: thinking of eswt-one foot or both feet?

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:14 (049248)

Most pateints will only need to have one foot done. If there is severe pain on examination for both feet then both feet can be considered.

The ossatron states that only one treatment but the literature states that about 20% will need two treatments. We use the orbasone. How m It is my opinion that two treatments is very possible. Rest is important if you are going to have both feet done.

When determining your choice this is what you needs to know

1. How much experience your treating doctor has
2. Find out the total cost not just for one treatment
3. Know what kind of follow up your are going to have.

If you would like additional information about our Orbasone ESWT treatment program just call our ESWT coordinator Denise Ashcraft at 1-856-478-2499
or e-mail her at heelhelp@bee.net .

I hope that this is helpful just let us know

anita on 5/29/01 at 21:36 (049286)

dr z, is it true that the other less painful foot gets better on its own after worse foot is treated?

I live in california, and would like to come to you, since you are very experienced...but my husband thinks i should go to the los angeles location.

what kind of follow up treatment do you offer? do most people usually need ionly one treatment? I have also recently started having other type of symptoms like nerve aggrevation but no pain that pod says sometimes goes along with walking differently. would this matter when getting orbasone? it wouldnt make it worse would it?

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:37 (049333)

both feet same time anita. no doubt in my mind as i have had it done twice. piece of cake.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 10:09 (049341)

I like to do the worst in hopes that the less painful foot gets better. This is what I do with heel spur surgery.

Our follow -up is included in the treatment. We even work with your local podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon

We do have alot of experience with ESWT.

Other things to consider is the cost.

Our fee is all treatments included. Will you need a second treatment. I would say yes. The ossatron treatment was set up for one treatment and so was the orbasone treatment, but I have found that this isn't exaclty correct.

If you would like to learn more about our ESWT program just let us know

You can also contact my ESWT coordinator at heelhelp@bee.net

Always willing to explain whatever you need to know

Jasmine on 5/31/01 at 14:36 (049488)

Anita -

Please e-mail me at mooseyjan@yahoo.com .

-Jasmine

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/31/01 at 19:23 (049505)

Recent studies have shown that when both feet are done at the same time, it is 15% or 20% less sucessful (I don't remember which it is). Also, often, when one foot is treated sucessfully, the other foot improves on its own.

Jill P on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049519)

Anita, this is a really tough question! I have PF in both feet too with my right one being much worse. I read that if you only have one foot done at a time the chances of the treatment being successful are a bit higher because you can really rest the foot that had the treatment. Also like you I have read that the other foot often gets better too because you are able to use both normally again so some of the stress is taken off the other foot since you can use your worst one more properly again.

Now John h says it was a piece of cake and to have both done and since you are going to have to travel somewhere, this is an important consideration, but for ME (even though I flew to NJ from MN) I am really glad I opted to only have my right (worst) foot treated. I have had a very long, slow recovery and am only now at 14 weeks (tomorrow) post treatment back to about where I was before I had it done. I was extremely glad I only did one foot because I really needed to be able to stand on my untreated foot in order to be up and about the house (my left foot had much more demanded of it than normal but hasn't seemed to be any worse for it now in the longer term). I was on crutches for about 2 months (about 6 weeks inside the house and 8 weeks for going out of the house). I went through pain in different parts of my right foot probably due to using it differently while it healed and still sometimes get a terribly tight muscle in my calf if I have done more walking than usual.

I haven't decided yet if I will go back for another treatment as the recovery period was very hard on my family since I have two young children that I stay home with (ages 1 1/2 and just turned 5). My husband had to do so much for us and it was a real strain for all of us (probably for about 10 weeks after the treatment). It's disappointing of course not to have made progress with my pain level but perhaps because I was only having pain at about a level 3-4 when I went out made some differene. I am only making a guess.

I am really glad I tried ESWT and would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Z and his staff. He is the most wonderful caring doctor I have come across for this or any other ailment. He really knows his stuff and also have a great bedside manner so will explain things and make you laugh! The rest of his staff is super too! :)

I would also recommend that you get everything caught up on that you need to like shopping, groceries in your pantry, meals made in advance and frozen, and line up help for several weeks after if you have small children. And just in case you aren't as lucky as John h and some of the others who felt better quickly, make sure you are ready to be as patient as needed while those recovery days and weeks creep by slowly. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at jpete@mn.rr.com

:) Jill P

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:19 (049572)

any ideas dr reid why this might be the case? i do know in my case with bilateral PF than when one foot gets better the other does or when one gets worse the other does. makes no sense.

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:26 (049574)

what puzzles me is that ESWT causes some people distress for a period of time while others (me) caused no additional pain at all. with my first treatment i was actually in less pain the next day than before the treatment.

JudyS on 6/01/01 at 10:41 (049579)

John, are you talking exclusively about better/worse bilaterally just regarding treatment? The reason I ask is that it stands to reason that if one is wearing a certain pair of shoes or whatever, it's likely that if one foot is better or worse with that then the other would be too.

MarthaB. on 6/01/01 at 14:57 (049621)

I had bilateral PF but Toronto refused to do both feet at the same time with the ossatron. I had the worst foot treated and the other foot improved dramatically-to the point that I dont need it treated. This world and each of our feet are certainly different. Hope I havent confused you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/01/01 at 17:16 (049629)

That is the typical response . I am not sure why certain patients feel worse for more then one week.

john h on 6/02/01 at 21:46 (049710)

judy: invariable if one foot gets better or worse so does the other. i can not relate that to anything i do or wear.

JudyS on 6/03/01 at 13:21 (049762)

....so, the martinis have nothing to do with it? :)

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/29/01 at 16:14 (049248)

Most pateints will only need to have one foot done. If there is severe pain on examination for both feet then both feet can be considered.

The ossatron states that only one treatment but the literature states that about 20% will need two treatments. We use the orbasone. How m It is my opinion that two treatments is very possible. Rest is important if you are going to have both feet done.

When determining your choice this is what you needs to know

1. How much experience your treating doctor has
2. Find out the total cost not just for one treatment
3. Know what kind of follow up your are going to have.

If you would like additional information about our Orbasone ESWT treatment program just call our ESWT coordinator Denise Ashcraft at 1-856-478-2499
or e-mail her at heelhelp@bee.net .

I hope that this is helpful just let us know

anita on 5/29/01 at 21:36 (049286)

dr z, is it true that the other less painful foot gets better on its own after worse foot is treated?

I live in california, and would like to come to you, since you are very experienced...but my husband thinks i should go to the los angeles location.

what kind of follow up treatment do you offer? do most people usually need ionly one treatment? I have also recently started having other type of symptoms like nerve aggrevation but no pain that pod says sometimes goes along with walking differently. would this matter when getting orbasone? it wouldnt make it worse would it?

john h on 5/30/01 at 09:37 (049333)

both feet same time anita. no doubt in my mind as i have had it done twice. piece of cake.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/30/01 at 10:09 (049341)

I like to do the worst in hopes that the less painful foot gets better. This is what I do with heel spur surgery.

Our follow -up is included in the treatment. We even work with your local podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon

We do have alot of experience with ESWT.

Other things to consider is the cost.

Our fee is all treatments included. Will you need a second treatment. I would say yes. The ossatron treatment was set up for one treatment and so was the orbasone treatment, but I have found that this isn't exaclty correct.

If you would like to learn more about our ESWT program just let us know

You can also contact my ESWT coordinator at heelhelp@bee.net

Always willing to explain whatever you need to know

Jasmine on 5/31/01 at 14:36 (049488)

Anita -

Please e-mail me at mooseyjan@yahoo.com .

-Jasmine

Dr. Marlene Reid on 5/31/01 at 19:23 (049505)

Recent studies have shown that when both feet are done at the same time, it is 15% or 20% less sucessful (I don't remember which it is). Also, often, when one foot is treated sucessfully, the other foot improves on its own.

Jill P on 5/31/01 at hrmin (049519)

Anita, this is a really tough question! I have PF in both feet too with my right one being much worse. I read that if you only have one foot done at a time the chances of the treatment being successful are a bit higher because you can really rest the foot that had the treatment. Also like you I have read that the other foot often gets better too because you are able to use both normally again so some of the stress is taken off the other foot since you can use your worst one more properly again.

Now John h says it was a piece of cake and to have both done and since you are going to have to travel somewhere, this is an important consideration, but for ME (even though I flew to NJ from MN) I am really glad I opted to only have my right (worst) foot treated. I have had a very long, slow recovery and am only now at 14 weeks (tomorrow) post treatment back to about where I was before I had it done. I was extremely glad I only did one foot because I really needed to be able to stand on my untreated foot in order to be up and about the house (my left foot had much more demanded of it than normal but hasn't seemed to be any worse for it now in the longer term). I was on crutches for about 2 months (about 6 weeks inside the house and 8 weeks for going out of the house). I went through pain in different parts of my right foot probably due to using it differently while it healed and still sometimes get a terribly tight muscle in my calf if I have done more walking than usual.

I haven't decided yet if I will go back for another treatment as the recovery period was very hard on my family since I have two young children that I stay home with (ages 1 1/2 and just turned 5). My husband had to do so much for us and it was a real strain for all of us (probably for about 10 weeks after the treatment). It's disappointing of course not to have made progress with my pain level but perhaps because I was only having pain at about a level 3-4 when I went out made some differene. I am only making a guess.

I am really glad I tried ESWT and would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Z and his staff. He is the most wonderful caring doctor I have come across for this or any other ailment. He really knows his stuff and also have a great bedside manner so will explain things and make you laugh! The rest of his staff is super too! :)

I would also recommend that you get everything caught up on that you need to like shopping, groceries in your pantry, meals made in advance and frozen, and line up help for several weeks after if you have small children. And just in case you aren't as lucky as John h and some of the others who felt better quickly, make sure you are ready to be as patient as needed while those recovery days and weeks creep by slowly. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at jpete@mn.rr.com

:) Jill P

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:19 (049572)

any ideas dr reid why this might be the case? i do know in my case with bilateral PF than when one foot gets better the other does or when one gets worse the other does. makes no sense.

john h on 6/01/01 at 10:26 (049574)

what puzzles me is that ESWT causes some people distress for a period of time while others (me) caused no additional pain at all. with my first treatment i was actually in less pain the next day than before the treatment.

JudyS on 6/01/01 at 10:41 (049579)

John, are you talking exclusively about better/worse bilaterally just regarding treatment? The reason I ask is that it stands to reason that if one is wearing a certain pair of shoes or whatever, it's likely that if one foot is better or worse with that then the other would be too.

MarthaB. on 6/01/01 at 14:57 (049621)

I had bilateral PF but Toronto refused to do both feet at the same time with the ossatron. I had the worst foot treated and the other foot improved dramatically-to the point that I dont need it treated. This world and each of our feet are certainly different. Hope I havent confused you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/01/01 at 17:16 (049629)

That is the typical response . I am not sure why certain patients feel worse for more then one week.

john h on 6/02/01 at 21:46 (049710)

judy: invariable if one foot gets better or worse so does the other. i can not relate that to anything i do or wear.

JudyS on 6/03/01 at 13:21 (049762)

....so, the martinis have nothing to do with it? :)