Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

second surgery needed

Posted by leslie stimson on 5/29/01 at hrmin (049295)

I had surgery 4 years ago and was pain free until 3 months ago when i twisted my ankle. I can't stand the pain and am wondering if the second surgery will work as good as the first?

Re: second surgery needed

Matt L on 6/07/01 at 14:12 (050165)

I'm sorta in the same boat. Had a reasonably successful TTS surgery in '96. Pain, probably as a result of scar tissue, is now causing problems. The surgeons I've been to seem quite reluctant to perform a redo. Evidently it's harder to go in the second time and the standard is higher. what is your surgeon telling you?

Richard Perez, DPM on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050166)

Redo or second time Tarsal Tunnel decompressions are known for high failure rates, somewhere on the order of 50%. Recurrent TTS can be an extremely difficult problem to resolve.
Dr. Perez

Audrey L on 6/16/01 at 15:20 (050848)

Ten years after TTS surgeries, I am desperately in need of relief again.
Walking is painful almost all of the time. How do I connect with a physician who is qualified, experienced and willing to do a repeat of the surgeries now? Located in Wisconsin. Grateful for any assistance as I am getting none so far from those MDs with whom I've consulted to date. Thank you.

Matt L on 6/29/01 at 12:48 (051875)

You may want to investigate a surgeon named Lou Schon 410-554-2891 in Baltimore at Union Memorial Hospital. He has a 'vein wrap' procedure he utilizes for failed tarsal tunnel release cases. However, his standards for operating are high- i.e. high level of pain, as the procedure is quite involved.

Matt L on 6/07/01 at 14:12 (050165)

I'm sorta in the same boat. Had a reasonably successful TTS surgery in '96. Pain, probably as a result of scar tissue, is now causing problems. The surgeons I've been to seem quite reluctant to perform a redo. Evidently it's harder to go in the second time and the standard is higher. what is your surgeon telling you?

Richard Perez, DPM on 6/07/01 at hrmin (050166)

Redo or second time Tarsal Tunnel decompressions are known for high failure rates, somewhere on the order of 50%. Recurrent TTS can be an extremely difficult problem to resolve.
Dr. Perez

Audrey L on 6/16/01 at 15:20 (050848)

Ten years after TTS surgeries, I am desperately in need of relief again.
Walking is painful almost all of the time. How do I connect with a physician who is qualified, experienced and willing to do a repeat of the surgeries now? Located in Wisconsin. Grateful for any assistance as I am getting none so far from those MDs with whom I've consulted to date. Thank you.

Matt L on 6/29/01 at 12:48 (051875)

You may want to investigate a surgeon named Lou Schon 410-554-2891 in Baltimore at Union Memorial Hospital. He has a 'vein wrap' procedure he utilizes for failed tarsal tunnel release cases. However, his standards for operating are high- i.e. high level of pain, as the procedure is quite involved.